Penbbs 456 First Impressions

truthpil

You may be better off getting a 456 before a 355 anyway. Many people have reported problems or at least difficulty using the 355 while the 456 has become Penbbs' most beloved model. Enjoy!

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• Honeybadgers

• Driften

• Karmachanic

I'm here reporting no difficulty filling or using the 355.

I prefer the section and the piston knob over the 456, which has found a new home.

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

I'm here reporting no difficulty filling or using the 355.

I prefer the section and the piston knob over the 456, which has found a new home.

I started out liking the shape of the 355 over the 456. But over time, the 456 has won me over.

I4ZuUp7l.jpg

Visually, the 355 has a more of a classic shape but in the hand the 456 has proven more comfortable.

My full 456 review here.

I still feel that the length of the piston knob of the 456 can be shortened a bit to make it look better (of course IMO)

There was a re-stock of 355 about 2 weeks ago but recently there are only an updated 456 stocks in a variety of patterns.

I think the 355 will come up again sometime in the future.

They must have sold out right away. I was checking quite often, almost daily, but I don't have Etsy notifications turned on, so I must have missed it.

Anyway, I think I'm going to like the 456 better anyway, so I'm not looking to add a 355 to the collection anymore. This is why I usually wait much longer to think about a pen purchase - after evaluating, I tend to change my mind or find something about the pen that deters me.

You may be better off getting a 456 before a 355 anyway. Many people have reported problems or at least difficulty using the 355 while the 456 has become Penbbs' most beloved model. Enjoy!

Yeah, I think a new user just has to get used to how much to screw the rod end into the plunger, etc. I don't think I would have had any issues long term, but I prefer the section shape of the 456 and I've been wanting a vac anyway. I wish the knob on the 456 had the same shape as the 355's, because I don't like the taper on it, but oh well...

The last 355 restock was a bit of a fiasco. A reseller (apparently) bought all of the clear ones, so only a few Galaxy were left. The pens haven't surfaced online yet.

It's led to the Etsy shop considering a limit of the same pen at one time for the popular models or colours. (People have suggested a limit of two of the same in one purchase.) We haven't seen the policy implemented yet.

I've only managed to damage the feed in one of my 7 or 8 penBBS models and I was very harsh on it. I routinely remove them all.

The feeds are not what I'd call a weak point as long as you don't abuse it.

I have inked both of my 456's and both had very dry, boring nibs. I swapped one for an ultra extra fine custom ground steel nib, and the other I just opened up the original nib and it's now a nice wet medium.

Fit and finish are superb. Easily worth every penny they ask and then some

What are your thoughts about swapping in a vintage 14k semi-flex nib?

Just curious as I recently got a demonstrator (second hand) and also JUST bought a no-name with a 14k semi-flex.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

What are your thoughts about swapping in a vintage 14k semi-flex nib?

Just curious as I recently got a demonstrator (second hand) and also JUST bought a no-name with a 14k semi-flex.

No reason not to if the nib fits. I don't expect the feed will be very accommodating but it can't hurt. the body of the 456 is far and away the best thing about it.

I have a $300 14k flex nib in my VAC700R.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• 2 years later...

Thanks for the review! What's the name of the green PenBBS acrylic in the size comparison pictures?