The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Penbbs 456 First Impressions

penbbs 456 vacuum china chinese asia vac

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#61 TruthPil

TruthPil

Flexy obliqueness!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2019 - 22:05

You may be better off getting a 456 before a 355 anyway. Many people have reported problems or at least difficulty using the 355 while the 456 has become Penbbs' most beloved model. Enjoy!

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Sponsored Content

#62 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

Duit On Mon Dei

• Member - Gold

• 2,019 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 22:30

I'm here reporting no difficulty filling or using the 355.

I prefer the section and the piston knob over the 456, which has found  a new home.

Edited by Karmachanic, 01 March 2019 - 22:34.

"Want little. Need less. Love more."

#63 EDC

EDC

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 02:14

I'm here reporting no difficulty filling or using the 355.

I prefer the section and the piston knob over the 456, which has found  a new home.

I started out liking the shape of the 355 over the 456. But over time, the 456 has won me over.

I4ZuUp7l.jpg

Visually, the 355 has a more of a classic shape but in the hand the 456 has proven more comfortable.

My full 456 review here.

#64 penzel_washinkton

penzel_washinkton

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2019 - 12:56

I still feel that the length of the piston knob of the 456 can be shortened a bit to make it look better (of course IMO)

#65 sirgilbert357

sirgilbert357

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,606 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2019 - 14:23

There was a re-stock of 355 about 2 weeks ago but recently there are only an updated 456 stocks in a variety of patterns.

I think the 355 will come up again sometime in the future.

They must have sold out right away. I was checking quite often, almost daily, but I don't have Etsy notifications turned on, so I must have missed it.

Anyway, I think I'm going to like the 456 better anyway, so I'm not looking to add a 355 to the collection anymore. This is why I usually wait much longer to think about a pen purchase - after evaluating, I tend to change my mind or find something about the pen that deters me.

#66 sirgilbert357

sirgilbert357

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,606 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2019 - 14:32

You may be better off getting a 456 before a 355 anyway. Many people have reported problems or at least difficulty using the 355 while the 456 has become Penbbs' most beloved model. Enjoy!

Yeah, I think a new user just has to get used to how much to screw the rod end into the plunger, etc. I don't think I would have had any issues long term, but I prefer the section shape of the 456 and I've been wanting a vac anyway. I wish the knob on the 456 had the same shape as the 355's, because I don't like the taper on it, but oh well...

#67 JollyCynic

JollyCynic

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 20:14

The last 355 restock was a bit of a fiasco. A reseller (apparently) bought all of the clear ones, so only a few Galaxy were left. The pens haven't surfaced online yet.

It's led to the Etsy shop considering a limit of the same pen at one time for the popular models or colours. (People have suggested a limit of two of the same in one purchase.) We haven't seen the policy implemented yet.

#68 Gloucesterman

Gloucesterman

Transformation Coach

• Member - Gold

• 2,253 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2019 - 23:39

I've only managed to damage the feed in one of my 7 or 8 penBBS models and I was very harsh on it. I routinely remove them all.

The feeds are not what I'd call a weak point as long as you don't abuse it.

I have inked both of my 456's and both had very dry, boring nibs. I swapped one for an ultra extra fine custom ground steel nib, and the other I just opened up the original nib and it's now a nice wet medium.

Fit and finish are superb. Easily worth every penny they ask and then some 

What are your thoughts about swapping in a vintage 14k semi-flex nib? 

Just curious as I recently got a demonstrator (second hand) and also JUST bought a no-name with a 14k semi-flex.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

#69 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2019 - 03:56

What are your thoughts about swapping in a vintage 14k semi-flex nib? 

Just curious as I recently got a demonstrator (second hand) and also JUST bought a no-name with a 14k semi-flex.

No reason not to if the nib fits. I don't expect the feed will be very accommodating but it can't hurt. the body of the 456 is far and away the best thing about it.

I have a $300 14k flex nib in my VAC700R. 

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: penbbs, 456, vacuum, china, chinese, asia, vac

Sponsored Content

|