• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• Honeybadgers

• Driften

• Karmachanic

The TWSBI Vac 700 ink starvation fix I found was to remove the front seal from the plunger. Does the 456 work the same way?

It does seem to have a piston like the Vac 700 (not R) with two pieces to the seal. I don't mind having the shut off ability will just leave the plunger slightly unscrewed most of the time like I do my Vac 700r and Pilot 823.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have anymore experiences and impressions to share about the 456? Some are proclaiming it to be the best Penbbs pen to date.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Fantastic value. The only downside, for me, is the fragility of the feed fins. Fix that and it's a winner.

Add lightness and simplicate.

Fantastic value. The only downside, for me, is the fragility of the feed fins. Fix that and it's a winner.

I wonder if there is a feed from any other brand of pen that will fit? They seem like unusually large feeds, so many something ebonite or vintage even.

Edited by TruthPil

I wonder if there is a feed from any other brand of pen that will fit? They seem like unusually large feeds, so many something ebonite or vintage even.

Possibly. Or Penbbs could step up.

The feed for the pump filler is being redesigned. I don't know if that's the same pen that's allegedly being released later this week, but we might see a new feed soon.

The feed for the pump filler is being redesigned. I don't know if that's the same pen that's allegedly being released later this week, but we might see a new feed soon.

Yeah, let's hope the new feed is better and, if so, that they adapt all future models to take the same feed.

Edited by TruthPil

I've only managed to damage the feed in one of my 7 or 8 penBBS models and I was very harsh on it. I routinely remove them all.

The feeds are not what I'd call a weak point as long as you don't abuse it.

I have inked both of my 456's and both had very dry, boring nibs. I swapped one for an ultra extra fine custom ground steel nib, and the other I just opened up the original nib and it's now a nice wet medium.

Fit and finish are superb. Easily worth every penny they ask and then some

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I have inked both of my 456's and both had very dry, boring nibs. I swapped one for an ultra extra fine custom ground steel nib, and the other I just opened up the original nib and it's now a nice wet medium.

Same here. The stock nibs can open up pretty well. The nibs are certainly dry and boring but, to Penbbs' credit, none have been scratchy.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got mine in vermouth. It's the green/turqoise demo color. I'm very happy with it so far. It's about the same profile as the 309, a hair thicker and a lot heavier. I enjoy the extra weight and hourglass shaped section a lot. The vac filler works well and fills about 2/3 for me. However, the two tone nib isn't as exciting as what I saw on pictures. It's a very thin almost faint gold wash and just doesn't stand out on mine. I dont' really care so it's fine.

I got my Galaxy version a few days ago. This is my first Penbbs pen. The "Fine" nib is very wet and more like a medium out of the box. It is ultra smooth with the BungBox 4b I have it inked with. My only other vac filler pen is an older TWSBI Vac 700, which dries up quickly without the valve open. This pen however keeps going and going for a long time before it dries out. I was worried that it must not be sealed correctly at first, but after writing over 5 pages, it finally started to dry up. As soon as I loosened the valve a bit, it started gushing again. So far I love the way the pen writes, the way it looks, and I foresee using it a lot in the future.

APtD3v.jpg

Edited by dowlf

That Galaxy is a good looking pen! Isn't the 355 version of this pen basically the same, just a little different design? Same nib and filling system, right?

That Galaxy is a good looking pen! Isn't the 355 version of this pen basically the same, just a little different design? Same nib and filling system, right?

No. Different filling system.

No the 355 is a larger pen with a different filling system. The 456 is a vac filler and the 355 is a Conid style advanced syringe filler.

No the 355 is a larger pen with a different filling system. The 456 is a vac filler and the 355 is a Conid style advanced syringe filler.

Oh, that's right. OK, thank you for the clarification. I'm pretty interested in this 355, but finding one in medium nib has proven difficult.

Oh, that's right. OK, thank you for the clarification. I'm pretty interested in this 355, but finding one in medium nib has proven difficult.

Nib Swap!

• 1 month later...

Nib Swap!

My response here is pretty late, but I actually just ordered the 456 in that Mocha color today. I have a spare Goulet nib in medium that doesn't have a home, so if the stock PenBBS nib doesn't work for me, I'll swap it.

I kept watching the PenBBS Etsy store for a restock of the 355's and it just wasn't happening...I grew impatient and liked the color of this 456 enough to give it a try. I've been wanting a Pilot Custom 823 in Amber, so maybe this 456 can at least introduce me to vacs and I'll see how I like them in general before ordering a much more expensive vac filler...

There was a re-stock of 355 about 2 weeks ago but recently there are only an updated 456 stocks in a variety of patterns.

I think the 355 will come up again sometime in the future.

There was a re-stock of 355 about 2 weeks ago but recently there are only an updated 456 stocks in a variety of patterns.

I think the 355 will come up again sometime in the future.

also 380 model