The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

How To Polish A "skunk"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BernieC

BernieC

Sifu

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 October 2018 - 19:57

I scored 2 Esterbrook Bell System pens from E-Bay. I would like to polish them but not sure when the polish fills in the engraving if it would be hard to remove and perhaps remove the white from the letters. Has any one had sucess with polishing a "skunk"?

BernieCskunks.JPG

When the pupil is ready, the teacher will come.

Sponsored Content

#2 pen lady

pen lady

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 October 2018 - 21:56

Mask off the engraving with a narrow strip of masking tape.  That should stop any damage.

#3 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,476 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 22:44

For what it is worth, Esterbrooks were never highly polished and certainly didn't glow with shine as we see so many of them today.

But if you must, just use a polishing compound then use a toothbrush with a little water to get the compound out of the imprint.

Farmboy

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#4 BernieC

BernieC

Sifu

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 October 2018 - 15:53

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will forego the polish and just wipe it with a wet cloth and be happy. If the pen was not meant to be shiny and bright then it will at least be clean. :)

Cheers

When the pupil is ready, the teacher will come.

#5 spacecoastpenny

spacecoastpenny

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2018 - 22:53

A sunshine cloth works great. I sometime use an old tee shirt to buff them nicely..good luck!

spacecoastbanner_FP.png

Sponsored Content

|