Fountain Pens With A Screw On Cap That Are Inexpensive

The_Beginner

Ok..No problemo.....Any particular filling system..size re diameter / length ...nib....extra-fine..fine..medium..broad...Color of pen...Material...That you are considering..

Cousin won't lose a screw cap.....

Fred

Redacting: There is a group buy going on with eyedropper filler hard rubber pens in your price range.....For your consideration

here on FPN.....................

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/340741-ranga-handmade-pens-grand-festival-group-buy-10-models-in-various-choices/

I would prefer a medium nib for its much easier for a beginner to use and color really doesn't matter nor does length for him.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The_Beginner

• A Smug Dill

• senzen

• Freddy

Thank you all for the suggestions I'm currently looking at each one individually this was extremely helpful thank you.

That's definitely a good call.

Make sure you get one at a low price... some scammers out there will try to sell it to you above $25, which is already ridiculous.

I was wondering if there were some dependable brands ...

What counts as a dependable brand, or what is the/your criteria for such? Does it mean every pen (or 99.999%, or 99%, or some other specific proportion, of pens) with that brand is problem-free straight out of the factory? Or does it mean the manufacturer will stand by its products, and be responsive and obliging in fixing any issues, including any that may develop after some time that arise not from design or manufacturing defects, but possibly introduced by the retailer or the user post-production?

... that provided cheap fountain pens for beginners but also had a screw on cap.

I'm surprised Honeybadgers hasn't retold the story here of how he broke a car window with a brass-barrelled Delike Alpha, and the pen survived just fine. That pen is less than US$35 and has a screw cap. The one I have here writes well.

However, I'd say the best way to prevent someone from losing the pen cap is to not give him one at all. A little out of your price range for 'inexpensive', but a Pilot Capless simply has no cap for the user to misplace or break. I love those pens, and we have more than ten of them in my household.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

What counts as a dependable brand, or what is the/your criteria for such? Does it mean every pen (or 99.999%, or 99%, or some other specific proportion, of pens) with that brand is problem-free straight out of the factory? Or does it mean the manufacturer will stand by its products, and be responsive and obliging in fixing any issues, including any that may develop after some time that arise not from design or manufacturing defects, but possibly introduced by the retailer or the user post-production?

I'm surprised Honeybadgers hasn't retold the story here of how he broke a car window with a brass-barrelled Delike Alpha, and the pen survived just fine. That pen is less than US$35 and has a screw cap. The one I have here writes well.

However, I'd say the best way to prevent someone from losing the pen cap is to not give him one at all. A little out of your price range for 'inexpensive', but a Pilot Capless simply has no cap for the user to misplace or break. I love those pens, and we have more than ten of them in my household.

That brand is problem-free straight out of the factory.

@The_Beginner, then I'm afraid I have no recommendations for you, since I don't have objective/historical data at the brand level that could be taken to also be representative of "inexpensive, screw-cap" fountain pen models. I have numerous cheap pens, with screw caps and of the same model, that have not given me any trouble from the few (out of twenty-odd in that lot) that I have inked and written with, but I cannot comment on the brand and its dependability in general.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I wonder what the attraction of these things are, screw on caps, for me it would be those and organ drawstops not tabs, others, manaul gearboxes not automatic, etc.

what is the attraction?.......................

@AD43, I don't know. I prefer slip caps for fountain pens myself, provided that they offer at least as tight a seal as screw caps. All the Platinum #3776 Century models, of which the manufacturer make it a selling point that its Slip & Seal mechanism will keep ink from drying even if the pen is stored untouched for 24 months, have screw caps; but then, even the Platinum Plaisir and Preppy models – all with slip claps – are supposed to offer a good enough seal to prevent ink from drying in 12 or more months anyway.

well unfortunately in real world this is likely a situation that sometime do not materialize even with the most expensive and premium of price and brand . Try not to get over hyped about this tough, most pens mentioned thus had been well received and generally they are all delivered in working condition, I would say the possibility of getting a lemon is no more or no less than like of most consumer product, which mean they chance is fairly low but its not zero. Most of the brand mentioned would happily exchange you a new one if you bought one new and it come out defective. Of course Fountain Pen had particulars that's its own, and generally if you treat it with its usage and need in mind everything would be fine. In these days of everyone so accustomed to the convenience of modern consumer product and their related culture its all too easy to forget the basics, by that I mean basics like tools need maintenance / cleaning and this is no more apparent in a fountain pen.

Late to the thread but I certainly agree with most mentioned prior, and of course as others puts it, the best way to not t lost a cap is not to have one at all, but Pilot Capless had its own issue and not exactly inexpensive either. Moonman, Deike, PenBBS, Wing Sung, and a few other more up to date Chinese release are top contender for the job, Pilot 78G is a good pen but its also lightly build unfortunately. if its just robustness, and ease of use .. I would recommend Platinum Plaisir, even though its a sap cap its got one of the best sealing system to keep the nib wet and ready. However my choice for a screw cap inexpensive pen would likely be a PenBBS or Moonman/Delike model with their ( bent ) petite calligraphy nib. The New Moon series in particular serves, from the petite original NM, to the slightly larger NM2 to the heavy and heavily build metal NM3 and this brings in the other aspect of consideration, size, profile, weight .. screw cap and Medium nib is features but had little to do with how the pen actually feel in the hand , how it hold and how it feel. Your cousin may or may not like a wide girth pen as oppose to a thin pen , and he may or may not like the weight.

It's my general understanding that Japanese pens tend to have higher quality control so you are less likely to have issues with a new pen. Look into Platinum, Pilot, etc. I generally recommend the Platinum Plaisir to new fountain pen users, however that's a snap-cap.

Alternately, I understand some pen sellers will personally check a pen before sending it if you ask. I think this is common for Indian pen makers/sellers? Maybe contact Kevin at FPR and ask if he can help you? The FPR Triveni, for example, is a nice screw-cap pen, made of ebonite (which is a comfortable material in the hand) or acrylic, that uses standard international cartridges or converters and can be eyedroppered. The Himalaya is cheaper but cannot use ink cartridges.

I'm struggling to imagine why any user would be (supposedly) significantly more likely to lose a slip/snap cap than a screw cap, unless the pen is defective or so poorly made that slip cap could come off without the user being aware of it. One is more likely to misplace the cap after it has been deliberately removed from the pen. If anything, I'd say a normally capped pen (as opposed to a capless pen) that requires posting of the cap on the barrel to use comfortably is inherently more preventative of someone just setting the cap aside and then forgetting about it.

But then, I don't know the O.P.'s cousin, so I'll just take his/her word that such is the case with this young man.

I wonder what the attraction of these things are, screw on caps, for me it would be those and organ drawstops not tabs, others, manaul gearboxes not automatic, etc.

what is the attraction?.......................

My screw cap pens evaporate way less than the others, with the exception of my Lamy Studios and Parker 75. I hate getting darker ink because of evaporation.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

@pseudo88, do your screw-cap fountain pens evaporate less than a Platinum Preppy or Plaisir (both of those models being designed with slip-caps)?

I think the closest we could come to a "problem free" screw cap pen that has the highest general reliability at the lowest price would be the TWSBI eco.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Both of my TWSBI Ecos (a regular and an Eco-T) behave very well in terms of evaporation.

@pseudo88, do your screw-cap fountain pens evaporate less than a Platinum Preppy or Plaisir (both of those models being designed with slip-caps)?

I'm afraid I have neither of those, I do have a Platinum "Cool", and it does evaporate at a rate similar to Lamy Vistas, in spite of having an inner cap.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Make sure you get one at a low price... some scammers out there will try to sell it to you above $25, which is already ridiculous.

And there's the 78G+, which is apparently lower quality according to some reviews.

B. Russell

I'm afraid I have neither of those, I do have a Platinum "Cool", and it does evaporate at a rate similar to Lamy Vistas, in spite of having an inner cap.

I was under the impression that most, if not all, slip caps have inner caps. I just looked inside the caps of a Rotring 400, a Rotring Initial, a Waterman Expert, a Parker Sonnet, a Cross Townsend and a Pilot MR, and they all have some form of inner caps inside the metal shells that form the caps.

However, while Platinum makes a point of only advertising the Preppy and Plaisir pens, and the DPQ-700A desk pen, as having a special mechanism to prevent ink from drying out when capped even if left unused for a year or longer, but not so for the Balance and (standard, non-Century) #3776 pens with slip caps.