Closed - Ranga Handmade Pens - Grand Festival Group Buy- 10 Models In Various Choices

mpkandan

Pictures of Ranga pens in Blue and White Swirl premium ebonite will be appreciated. I'm particularly interested in seeing differences in the polished finish vs bakul in this specific ebonite. Thank everyone and anyone for posting your pics! I've just ordered a 3C in Blue and White Swirl polished, and want to be sure I prefer it to the bakul for this ebonite. Mods, please move if this is in the wrong forum.

Let your ink flow.

Premium ebonite is best in polished finish. This is Mr. Kandan's recommendation.

I've never actually seen a premium ebonite in bakul, but I assume the type of material makes the standard ebonite more adequate to the bakul finish than the premium. Mr. Kandan may possibly explain the technical reasons.

As far as colour is concerned, you need to be ready for surprises, one pen is never the same as the other with ebonite, and differences are not just in the part of the rod which is used, and the width of the pen which will eat up some of the material from the rod surface (so the swirl also depends on how deep the turning digs into the rod), but also between different batches of the same ebonite.

In any case, here is an 8B in blue white swirl (the other pens are another 8B and a 3C, essentially the 8B and 3/3C are a similar size but the 8B, besides the pointed ends, has an hourglass shaped section).

fpn_1541628643__p1150497-3__ranga_8b_3c.

The differences are what make each pen unique.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mpkandan

• sansenri

• Dupontdelamare

• mhguda

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Form submitted.

<b>Inked up:</b> Ranga 3C, Lamy 2000, Pilot Custom 74, Pelikan m205 , Platinum Preppy, Pilot Decimo<br><b>Inks currently using:</b> Troublemaker Blue Guitar, Nemosine Alpha Centauri, Noodler’s Navy, Aircorps blue black<br> Signature ink and pen: Noodler’s Navy + Lamy 2000

just for colour comparison, here are two model 4 in polished (blue ripple) and bakul (red/pink ripple).

What I have noticed is that polished finish increases the contrasts between colours of the ripple, bakul softens it out.

Both are nice finishes, bakul feels even nicer in the hand, warmer, similar to wood. Polished protects the pen slightly more from ink stains.

fpn_1541804215__p1140777-3_ranga_4_red_r

Form submitted.

3C in black, clipless, flex nib, eyedropper

3 in olive, clipless, flex nib, eyedropper

Thanks. :)

Thanks a lot Sir

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

just for colour comparison, here are two model 4 in polished (blue ripple) and bakul (red/pink ripple).

What I have noticed is that polished finish increases the contrasts between colours of the ripple, bakul softens it out.

Both are nice finishes, bakul feels even nicer in the hand, warmer, similar to wood. Polished protects the pen slightly more from ink stains.

fpn_1541804215__p1140777-3_ranga_4_red_r

Thanks a lot Sir for explaining it with pictures

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

my pleasure, Mr. Kandan.

You know I am a satisfied user of Ranga pens, but I also enjoy taking the pictures, ebonite is often not easy to photograph.

I am looking forward to receiving the model 8 and model 3 from this GB

Is bakul or polished more susceptible to UV degradation than the other?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Is bakul or polished more susceptible to UV degradation than the other?

not sure really, I tend to protect my ebonite pens from light, so the ones not in use are in a drawer, the ones I use are usually on my desk in horizontal position but far from direct light.

Bakul tends to pick up ink stains a bit more if you do not clean it well after filling, and the section also tends slightly to discolour due to washing. It's a natural thing though, and it takes time, so even in my most used bakul pen it's only marginally visible.

Much worse when you leave them exposed to light, like in a show case. I have a couple of polished ebonite pens that have lost their polish on one side due to light exposure (but I bought them like that already...).

share more pics

Here is a Ranga 3 mottled green :) (from a less common view angle - -next to an Aurora Talentum)

this is one of the most lovely colours in the standard ebonite, a classic

fpn_1542411597__ranga_3_mottled_green_01

Terrific lighting and detail in the photos, sansenri. Are you using a macro lens?

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Yes, quite some time ago I had to move from my analog Nikon gear, which I loved.

With digital I've never really re-bought all the lenses I had, I opted for a cheaper (but especially lighter! I cannot carry all that the weight anymore..) Panasonic mirror-less system, and not so long ago bought a Leica macro Elmarit 1.2 lens for it.

(back then I was into macro and did insects, flowers and stuff like that... Micro Nikkor 55)

I'm lazy now and take most of my macro shots hand held (I used to have tripod and accessories, but don't bother digging them out of the cupboard most of the time... :rolleyes:)

Edited by sansenri

Dear All,

Thanks for Grand Response to this Grand Festival Group buy So Far!!!

We have already crossed 100 numbers!!!

We have started the shipment on yesterday. Around 70% shipment would be completed by 24th November

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Dear All,

We have started the shipment on yesterday. Around 70% shipment would be completed by 24th November

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Thanks for the update. Will we be getting email confirmations on them at that time? Sorry if I didn't see it but how many days to USA on these have you seen on average for your shipping method?

Dear All,

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Thank you for this group buy and your diligence!

Will you be letting members know when their pens have been shipped? Although, I realize turning so many pens plus administrative work might make that difficult.

Regards

Dupontdelamare