The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Closed - Ranga Handmade Pens - Grand Festival Group Buy- 10 Models In Various Choices

ranga handmade ebonite pen jowo bock schmidt india eyedropper kandan

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#101 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2019 - 21:25

Here are the pictures. Since eyedroppers are unusable at where I live, I also convert them to simple sac fillers.

fpn_1545763593__img_1057.jpg

fpn_1545763697__img_1058.jpg

fpn_1545763720__img_1059.jpg

nice finishes!

I'm so overly curious, why are ED unusable where you live? too hot? too dry? what else?

Sponsored Content

#102 bbs

bbs

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2019 - 13:30

The latest arrivals:

image.jpg

image.jpg

I really wanted a regular bamboo in the mottled olive but Mr Kandan only had rods to make it in the mini or a Model 5. Happily it is not too much slimmer than the regular.

The green/yellow swirl Model 5 took me by surprise as I was expecting much more yellow and in places mine is more speckles than swirls. But actually I quite like the subtlety, it's a bit like a marbled book paper.

Thanks again, Mr Kandan!

Edited by bbs, 27 January 2019 - 13:32.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

#103 Dupontdelamare

Dupontdelamare

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2019 - 13:44

Lovely pens
bakul black is a classic, and so is mottled brown, one of the nicer standard ebonite colours that deserves bakul (I have a Ranga Emperor in this finish). Next try also olive-black ripple in bakul...
And you are right, the warm feel in the hand is the real reason to choose bakul.
Lie de thé in the mottled brown, perhaps?

Premium orange green blue 3C is lovely too, I have exactly the same pen in this colour, the ebonite colour swirls are mesmerizing.
This ebonite is even smoother than standard and the threads are as if they were not there, I love this too.
Any blue will do in this, and considering ED, one of those blues that you got free with some pen purchase and you have 3-4 bottles of, sitting around...
I try to use up my overstock of Pelikan royal blue in my EDs...

enjoy the pens

PS as this is your first Ranga purchase, consider clipless in your next (likely ) Ranga.
Particularly in the larger pens the clip is not so useful (the bigger pens don't fit in your pocket anyway!)
and the ebonite wonderful patters deserve not to be interrupted by the clip.
If you are worried about the pen rolling off your desk, some roll stoppers look nice on the Rangas, too.

Thank you Sansenri, for your useful comments. Incidentally, I noticed your discussion with Bobje, on another thread about the best Ranga pens, where you say you prefer the hourglass section of the 8B, and « that is why I asked Mr. Kandan to modify my last 3C (...) and fit an 8B section on it ». How did that turn out? It is a pity Chrisrap didnt see your post before ordering his Ranga 3, as his main problem seems to have been with the section lip. Personally that doesnt bother me at all, but I hold my pens fairly far back.
Perhaps the matte green of his pen was also less successful than my brown or black bakul which looks more like wood. I have ordered (perhaps foolishly) a giant red ED 9B, in the recent group buy, but I ordered that as brilliant not bakul.
I had thought of buying one of my 8Bs in mottled olive brown, but Ranga had run out.

You are probably right that EDs, particularly with a flex nib are likely to be ink "guzzlers", and so cheaper inks might be a good solution. Indeed, the orange/green and blue 3C would work well with a blue ink. As it happens however, I had ordered a bottle of Kwz Monarch orange as well as ig Aztec gold, from Fontoplumo.nl; but the postman must have left the packet on top of the post box, and of course it was stolen. Frank of Fontoplume kindly sent another bottle of Monarch but he was out of stock for Aztec gold. I did ink up the 3C with the Monarch, and the good ED flow with the Kanwrite flex nib does seem to work very well with this ink giving excellent shading, although, as you imply, it could prove very expensive to run. Since then, I ordered a bottle of Monteverde copper noir, which Bobje seems to think similar in colour to Kwz Monarch, as that is about half the price of Monarch, but it may prove drier according to comments.
I was hoping to put the Aztec in the mottled brown 8B, but as you say, Lie de thé which I love, would be an excellent alternative, although I do have that in several of my other pens.

I will take your advice and put blue ink in the giant red ED 9B and of course it comes without a pen clip, but I would use that as a desk pen. Although I am a little worried about the large step down, while hoping the ultra long section on the giant model will help.

Thanks again for your suggestions, Sansenri, very much appreciated,
Regards
Dupontdelamare

Edited by Dupontdelamare, 31 January 2019 - 15:02.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ranga, handmade, ebonite, pen, jowo, bock, schmidt, india, eyedropper, kandan

Sponsored Content

|