Fountain Pen With Custom Ground Nib

amberleadavis

Yes, this PIF has a story behind it.

My father, (let's call him a Magic Bean Buyer kind of guy), was at a thrift store when he found pens. Knowing that I love pens, he proceeded to bargain for the pens. Now let me acknowledge that I am difficult to shop for and I that I am a user of extremely broad crisp italic wet writing fountain pens. Dad proceeded to buy more than 20 Chinese fine point pens (and some rollerballs). Now, I cannot disappoint Dad and never use the pens, but I can gift the pens.

Meanwhile, my dear FPNpal, Randal6393, agreed to custom grind the nibs on some of these pens.

So, here is the offer, we are going to share 5 of these pens at this time. We may decide to offer some of these to students and we may sell some in the future or even run a fund raiser (we haven't decided what we are going to do with the rest).

If you are interested, here is what you agree to do.

1. Write a CRV (Co-Razy-View) with the pen - this is basically a letter written on half the paper that you send to someone else to write on the other side of the paper. One of you then posts it up here on FPN. We have an ongoing CRV project moderated by LGSoltek, this month is inks with similar names.
  2. If you don't like the pen or discover that you will never use it - send it back - or PIF it and tell us to whom you have PIFed.
  3. Pay postage (estimate about $3 CONUS). I will probably include an ink sample.

To be eligible, you must have at least 100 posts. The give away will end when all five pens have been gifted or Nevada Day 2018 (10/31/2018) whichever comes first. First priority will be to FPNers who have been the most active and have the most posts, then to FPNers active in the CRV forum. Basically, Randal and Amber decide who gets pens, and we may decide to gift more than five pens.

So, tell us if you are interested in participating and sign up now.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Zookie

• Dr_Jekyll

• A Smug Dill

Thanks!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

The grinds are stubs / italics but no architects. Remember these are fine nibs to start.

No takers yet?

WOW, I'm not sure what to say. I know that the overall inky thoughts posts are low this week, but gee, no one even wants a pen?

Maybe some of us are still reeling from having been asked, "How do you justify owning many pens?", haha!

I'm on the opposite side of the globe from continental US, and I do have about three dozen pens here (at different price points and with different nibs) that have never been inked, so I really shouldn't put my hand up for another pen.

Thank you for your generosity and your dad's all the same!

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Ive noticed that PIF take-up is really low here, compared to in the past and also compared to other forums/platforms. I speculate that its because many FP youngsters/starters tend to congregate over on places like Reddit. (I did a PIF over on Reddit for an LE Pilot Cocoon/MR/Metro and had nearly 140 taking part!)

Perhaps those using FPN tend on the whole to be old-timers & more experienced FP users and dont think giveaway-level pens are for them?

Just speculation though.........

Thanks for your kindness, nevertheless.

Edited by migo984

Verba volant, scripta manent

Well, you did say Limited Edition retail product, migo984, unless I misunderstood.

I offered several Hero 395 pens, which are supposed to have somewhat 'flexy' steel nibs (a trait on which I'm not especially keen, but I understand others are rather more crazy about it, much in the same way piston-fill, transparent barrels, broad nibs, and sheen from inks are of little interest to me against seemingly popular opinion on FPN), and there are particularly few PIFs and giveaways in Australia that I can see on FPN, yet when I tried to gauge interest there was essentially none expressed over the course of eight weeks.

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

This is a very nice pif, and it's a shame that no one would want one, so you can count me in.

I've never had a pen with a custom ground nib.

Thanks Amber!

Hi Amber, I was holding off on replying to this PIF to give others a chance to jump in - I don't *really* need another pen :rolleyes: - and I'm not situated in the CONUS. If you're willing to mail one to Australia, though (at my cost), I'd be very interested in trying out a Randal6393 custom grind! I'd be happy to participate in my first CRV, too - I probably *need* a push like this to get me started...

I Amber, I was holding off too to give others a chance, but since the take up is low I would love to get in on this

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

This is a very nice PiF and people, you don't have to be intimidated by having to do a CRV they are easy!

I already have a custom-ground nib from a previous PiF by Amber, and I can tell you it's worth your while.

Good luck with the PiF Amber, now that some sheep are over the wall, more will follow...

(not an entry)

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

HI. Im interested in trying out some custom grinds, anything unique? And I'm more than happy to participate in something like a CRV!!! I love doing shared things... or co-things.... but I'm in the UK is that a big problem?

This is a very nice pif, and it's a shame that no one would want one, so you can count me in.

I've never had a pen with a custom ground nib.

Thanks Amber!

PM me with your name and address.

Hi Amber, I was holding off on replying to this PIF to give others a chance to jump in - I don't *really* need another pen :rolleyes: - and I'm not situated in the CONUS. If you're willing to mail one to Australia, though (at my cost), I'd be very interested in trying out a Randal6393 custom grind! I'd be happy to participate in my first CRV, too - I probably *need* a push like this to get me started...

You got it.

I Amber, I was holding off too to give others a chance, but since the take up is low I would love to get in on this

You got it.

This is really nice of you! I am not eligible, but thanks for being so generous! I hope these pens find a nice home.

Dr. Jeckyll, post here about how you would use the pen and then PM me your full name and address.

HI. Im interested in trying out some custom grinds, anything unique? And I'm more than happy to participate in something like a CRV!!! I love doing shared things... or co-things.... but I'm in the UK is that a big problem?

King, I'm happy to send one. You get to pay postage though. Send me a PM with full name and address.

Hello!

Alright amberleadeavis, if you insist! I am a student applying for medical school and I use pens on a daily basis for note taking. I took up calligraphy to help "destress" and also to try and turn my homework and notes into art. I guess you could say the main goal was to learn how to write well so that I don't end up as that doctor with poor writing. Japanese fine nibs match my daily writing style perfectly, so it would be interesting to try a custom ground Chinese nib.

Disclaimer: My intention was not to join this PIF, but to thank you for being generous. I have received two PIFs this year (one of which was a pack of 5 pens which I distributed amongst university students (I did not keep them, as promised)). If you are able to find another candidate, do feel free to send a pen to them. 😊