Ink Flow Adjustment-Service Recommendations

tisquinn

Hi all,

I have a montblanc 149 that is need of ink flow adjustment. It was a gift with a lot of sentimental value, but I find it writes far too dryly, and for some reason only just had the realization that I should just just fix it! I would do it myself if it were any other pen, but because of its history and cost I am too nervous to try it myself, as I've never needed to adjust any of my other nibs. Any advice on someone I could send it to for a quick flow adjustment who won't take too much more than a month? I am thinking of taking it to my local shop (Bromfield pens), but I've never had work done by them. Any recommendations? I am guessing with a job this simple, almost anyone competent would be fine, but I am not among them :(

Thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• tisquinn

• Driften

• sansenri

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

I have a montblanc 149 that is need of ink flow adjustment. It was a gift with a lot of sentimental value, but I find it writes far too dryly, and for some reason only just had the realization that I should just just fix it! I would do it myself if it were any other pen, but because of its history and cost I am too nervous to try it myself, as I've never needed to adjust any of my other nibs. Any advice on someone I could send it to for a quick flow adjustment who won't take too much more than a month? I am thinking of taking it to my local shop (Bromfield pens), but I've never had work done by them. Any recommendations? I am guessing with a job this simple, almost anyone competent would be fine, but I am not among them :(

Thanks!

Contact Jim Baer at www.BostonPenPeople.org

BPP also has meetings in Somerville..........MA

Fred

Edited by Freddy

Is the pen in unused condition? If it was inked before you might need to soak the nib in pen flush. I bought a used 149 and I had to soak it overnight for it to not be so dry. It had looked clean but the pen flush soak removed a lot of old ink that flushing with water didn't show. Heck just a quick clean with pen flush didn't show much as well but the overnight soak dissolved old dry ink.

If it's new, I found on one NOS MB I had it took at least one fill of use before it adjusted it's self to be nice and wet. I had flushed it with water and tried a couple of inks and was still too dry but then all of a sudden it started writing wet. It just needed a break-in period. I have had other non-mb's that got wetter after using up a couple of fills of ink. Maybe it was flushing out oils or something. I don't know. It was before I bought pen flush or had learned to try a drop of dish soap for first cleaning.

Also I would try those before adjusting it wetter, or you may find it could get too wet later after the adjustment has been in place for a while.

Edited by Driften

Thanks for the leads! Driften, I have had it and used it for a few years now. I soak it in a pen flush whenever changing colors. At this point, I'm fairly sure the tines need just a little more separation. I haven't bothered before because, for some bizarre reason, the thought of _adjusting_ a pen that I'd already been using had never crossed my mind!

Take thumbnails, place under the shoulder,press apart so slightly you are only thinking about pressing apart.Look to see that there is a very small movement.

Check.

If not wet enough, do it again. Check.

By the time you do it a third time, it should be wetter........if you have to do so! Twice could well be enough.

If you pressed too wide, take thumbs placed on the shoulder and press the tines together enough that one is under the other. That should tighten it up again.

Go slow.

What ink are you using, perhaps all you need is a wetter ink. Waterman Blue is a fairly wet ink, as in DA Royal Blue.

Some Noodler inks are so wet that the users of them say Waterman is a dry ink.

There is of course dryer two toned Noodler shading inks. So do go into Ink Reviews or ask in either that or Inky Thoughts.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

When any of my pens either new or second hand that I get show this issue, and after cleaning soaking etc. makes no changes, I run a piece of old photographic film between the tines. It's a very mild approach to tine separation (the film is thin so the separation is moderate) and the film is a softer material than using a sheet of brass so even if you are not expert it is very unlikely that you will do any damage at all.

You may need to repeat the treatment several times, but you will note gradual improvement when the issue is caused by tight tines.

At first it's not simple to push the edge of the film between the tines at the tip of the nib, but few attempts usually work.

Also, do it with the pen inked, so you can test result between first try and the next. You will get your fingers dirty but that's normal with FPs...

Edited by sansenri

:thumbup: Fine post.

That is a real safe way of doing things.

Dam...got to get an old negative................didn't save any when I had a chance. :headsmack:

Got to ask my wife to keep her eye out, but think she just junked the old junk.

Called the wife, who says she'd got lots of them left.................the problem is I don't need them....but will stick one in my pen 'repair' box just in case.

I have wet and dry inks.

There is one pen.....hummm, being inlaid it can not be adjusted by pulling tines apart. :)...................sigh that means I got to ink it, and I was trying to get down to five pens inked in stead of 17 so I could use up some ink.

I had bought my first wet ink, Waterman....was considered wet ink back before Noodlers, just for that pen....worked just fine.

I later replaced Waterman Blue with DA Royal blue....a tad more lubricated, a tad darker.

There is a difference slight between lubrication and wetness............... :rolleyes: :blush: Have to look that up.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.