I Must Be Losing My Mind: Where To Buy Private Reserve?

KCat

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KCat

• Rob G

• azbobcat

• amberleadavis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What's the deal? I can't find any online sales other than drips and drabs.

In India it is readily available at William Penn Stores

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Are they still in business? I dont see a company website any longer.

They have a Facebook page and, according to that page, will be attending the Ohio pen show. I don’t have a Facebook account so that is all I could read.

I thought that they (the company) folded after the (original) creator of the inks died a few years ago. Not having left all of his recipes recorded, they can't be remade anymore.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I thought that they (the company) folded after the (original) creator of the inks died a few years ago. Not having left all of his recipes recorded, they can't be remade anymore.

Yep, that's the impression I got. I can only wish they would come out and say something. I have stocked up and bought two bottles of their ORIGINAL Blue Suede and have started to replace my small supply of inks. I did some research and found that at least the 8 colors I have on hand can be replaced by almost identical inks made by Noodlers. I have not abandoned ship... YET, I've got enough ink to last me for a few years, and hopefully by that time the issue over Private Reserve and their fate will have been answered.

They have a Facebook page and, according to that page, will be attending the Ohio pen show. I don’t have a Facebook account so that is all I could read.

I did see that. And saw a website that said "coming soon." Maybe they'll try to resurrect some of the inks. I found some old "DC Supershow Violet" in my case and realized, hmmm, I rather like that. And it really isn't like any of the other samples I've tried. It's similar to a now-defunct Noodlers ink so I was hoping...

I'm sorry to hear about the passing of the original creator.

Well, it's not a huge deal for me in terms of the ink. I certainly don't need more crud in my tiny house. Still, a bit sad.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

KCat

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Wow, website doesn't exist, how about that.

I never had very good luck with their inks. The colors were so pretty, but then I had to deal with

Ink so dry it wouldn't write

Ink too wet

Ink rubs off even after it dries

Slime growing in the bottle

Clogs pen

Diamine has a huge number of colors, many of them very bright and saturated, if you are looking for a similar type of ink.

Hi all! Well, I got a heads up from someone that they are, in fact, still good to go but that the website is in work and some kinks have been worked out on the inks. Here is a link to the Facebook video (part 1) describing what's going on but the upshot for non-facebookers is:

They're in business and were never not in business. They had some chemistry problems to sort out. They will have cool gift packages for sale for Christmas (woot!). They are trying to get the website up. They will be selling vintage pens and whatnot here and there as well. They say in the video that it will be up soon (this was yesterday) so cross fingers and toes. https://www.facebook.com/privatereserveink/videos/311688593007898/

KCat

Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Wow, website doesn't exist, how about that.

I never had very good luck with their inks. The colors were so pretty, but then I had to deal with

Ink so dry it wouldn't write

Ink too wet

Ink rubs off even after it dries

Slime growing in the bottle

Clogs pen

Diamine has a huge number of colors, many of them very bright and saturated, if you are looking for a similar type of ink.

I love a lot of the Diamine inks. I had a few PR inks I loved and a lot that were, meh. The browns and reds were always problematic and it sounds like they're still fighting that battle. In their video, they talk about a red that turned neon green. I recall a brown that turned to a funky green. But red and brown dyes are very unstable so I don't think that's just a PR problem. IIRC, one of my DIamine oranges failed years ago, as well. I've had slime in other inks as well. That said, I live near Houston, mold loves this place and it is especially bad since Harvey. We've moved down to the beach (yeah, I know) and it's actually better down here. Ha! Now it's just rust everywhere.

I'm babbling. Anyway, their green and blue inks were always good to me if a bit saturated. This DC Violet is nice though and behaving beautifully in my daily user VP so I was hoping to find it again. It's the right flow and not too saturated and a lovely not-too-blue, not-too-red color. I'm not picky at all. :lol:

I've tested several inks from Diamine, Pilot, R&K, and a couple of other brands that escape me. Not Noodlers because, well, your experience with PR is my experience with Noodlers.

KCat

KCat, what ink are you looking for?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Hi all! Well, I got a heads up from someone that they are, in fact, still good to go but that the website is in work and some kinks have been worked out on the inks. Here is a link to the Facebook video (part 1) describing what's going on but the upshot for non-facebookers is:

They're in business and were never not in business. They had some chemistry problems to sort out. They will have cool gift packages for sale for Christmas (woot!). They are trying to get the website up. They will be selling vintage pens and whatnot here and there as well. They say in the video that it will be up soon (this was yesterday) so cross fingers and toes. https://www.facebook.com/privatereserveink/videos/311688593007898/

Thank you for the heads up!! Their "status" has driven me CRAZY. I am stocking out my various colored inks, just in case they went belly up. I wrote them and heard nothing back. I'm planing on stocking 2 year supplies, and if after that time, I'll switch to Noodler's as a backup plan. I've found two bottles of *MY* color -- the ORIGINAL PR Blue Suede - paid a slight premium for it -- and plan to finish stocking out the other 3-4 colors within the next 4-6 weeks.

Again Thank You for the heads up.

KCat, what ink are you looking for?

I was looking for DC Supershow Violet. I had bought it, decided I had too much purple, and sent most of it to someone else. Then I tested what I had left in my new VP and now I wish I still had the original bottle (which was HUGE). :P

I'm going to look at the Akkermann inks for grins and I still have about 10 mls of the PR ink which will last me a while. Not exactly going gangbusters on the writing at the moment.

Best, KC

KCat

Thank you for the heads up!! Their "status" has driven me CRAZY. I am stocking out my various colored inks, just in case they went belly up. I wrote them and heard nothing back. I'm planing on stocking 2 year supplies, and if after that time, I'll switch to Noodler's as a backup plan. I've found two bottles of *MY* color -- the ORIGINAL PR Blue Suede - paid a slight premium for it -- and plan to finish stocking out the other 3-4 colors within the next 4-6 weeks.

Again Thank You for the heads up.

Glad it helped. I loved Blue Suede. Such a gorgeous, velvety color. Or suede-y. :P

KCat

Having gone back into administration again (from teaching), I wanted to stock up on my favorite FP inks, and I was disappointed to discover that PR Avacado [sic] and Sailor Epinard are both history. My FP friends don't care for Diamine Safari (and I do value their opinions), so I'm looking for a replacement for PR Avacado [sic].

Any suggestions? And how about a replacement for PR Chocolate?

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

My local B&M in Atlanta, ArtLite, was unable to get a consistent supply after the death mentioned above, and so sold out their remaining stock at discount. I had a few bottles but passed them on to colleagues in the local pen club who like to experiment with colors. I have settled with Pelikan, Sheaffer, Waterman, & Parker.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

Just moseyed on over to Fountain Pen Hospital NYC..and they have the complete line of Private Reserve Inks.

Fred