The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Monteverde (Gemstone Collection) Olivine Ink Review

monteverde gemstone olivine olive green

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,465 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2018 - 02:32

(Another quickie review, being largely a by-product of my checking how the EF nib on a Delike Alpha performs.)

fpn_1540257698__monteverde_olivine_on_rh

fpn_1540261032__diamine_evergreen_next_t fpn_1540261855__diamine_evergreen_next_t
Colour: I suppose the closest colour of ink I have to it is Diamine Evergreen but, at least in daylight, Monteverde Olivine is slightly more yellow (and Diamine Evergreen has an obvious red sheen).

Feathering: None observed on the Rhodia paper I used.

fpn_1540258189__monteverde_olivine_on_rh
Ghosting and bleed-through: Not from normal writing, but several passes with a soaked cotton swab or a wet nib can cause some ghosting and even bleed-through.

fpn_1540258298__monteverde_olivine_on_rh
Drying time: Quick enough. No smearing after 15 seconds.

fpn_1540258352__monteverde_olivine_on_rh
Water resistance: None whatsoever. Washed clean off the page under a running tap in under 15 seconds.

fpn_1540258409__monteverde_olivine_on_rh
fpn_1540258453__monteverde_olivine_on_rh
Shading: Some, but slightly subtle. No distinct step going from faint to dark. That's a good thing.

fpn_1540258535__monteverde_olivine_on_rh
Sheen: Not any to speak of. There is the slightest hint of a dark red outline or 'halo', if you look really hard, but that's about it.

Edited by A Smug Dill, 23 October 2018 - 02:38.

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

Sponsored Content

#2 langere

langere

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2018 - 04:27

Love your review!  I like the color, but would not buy the ink because it has no water resistance at all.  Good to know.

Erick

Currently in Rotation: 

Moonman 200 "F" nib running Montblanc Racing Green

Santini Italia Libra "F" nib running Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses

Diplomat Aero "F" nib running PR Blue Suede

#3 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,155 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2018 - 07:20

Not sure I know of a green that has any decent water resistance on the market that doesn't absolutely suck in every other way (wancher green and noodlers polar green are waterproof but good lord do they HATE paper.)

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#4 The Good Captain

The Good Captain

Gaston F Limoges

• Member - Gold

• 5,750 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2018 - 08:27

I really must give this ink a try - it's right there in one of my favourite colour ranges.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

#5 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• 3,465 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2018 - 09:47

Not sure I know of a green that has any decent water resistance on the market that doesn't absolutely suck in every other way

Is Noodler's Green Marine ink still on the market? I still have (most of) a couple of bottles of it, and I remember selecting it because of its claim to whatever-proof qualities. I could go and check its water resistance myself, but I injured my wrist on my writing hand and the GP just told me this afternoon to "rest it for a few weeks" (as if!).  :rolleyes:

My next 'sure bet' would be Sailor STORIA Balloon Green ink, which I don't have. (I have three out of the eight colours, and I bought them in the last couple of months, so I'll assume they're still "on the market".)

I have a bottle of Rubinato Verde Inchiostro ('Green Ink') that I bought recently from a local department store, and I'll hazard a guess that it's at least somewhat water resistant. OK, I just tested it, and Rubinato Verde Inchiostro does not cut it at all.

Edited by A Smug Dill, 23 October 2018 - 11:12.

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#6 vojtahlad

vojtahlad

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2018 - 10:07

Not sure I know of a green that has any decent water resistance on the market that doesn't absolutely suck in every other way (wancher green and noodlers polar green are waterproof but good lord do they HATE paper.)

Rohrer and Klingner sketchINK Emma comes to my mind - see the review from visvamitra. There is also Klara in this ink line - a much brighter kind of green.

#7 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• 4,948 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2018 - 10:21

It's the sourness/vibrancy when washed over that puts me off. It's the main reason I don't use my Zhivago much. :mellow:

Thanks for another top notch review.

#8 Jan2016

Jan2016

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2018 - 14:12

Thank you for the review!

#9 pgcauk

pgcauk

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 01:48

I like Olivine!
I had been struggling to find "my" olive green for a while. I was sure Tokiwa Matsu would be it, but, although I like the color that the ink dries to, I don't like the blue-green in the wash and was surprised to discover that sheen is not for me! I thought Diamine Safari would be "the one", but it wasn't enough to entice me away from good old Burma Road. Yet a bottle of Olivine that I picked up without much thought when I saw it in a store at $8 has been in constant use ever since. Not "my green", (right now I'm very keen on De Atramentis' Jean Jaques Rousseau, which is either my perfect murky green . . . . or dirty rinse water!), but interesting enough to keep coming back to.

I like how (in a wet pen) this is more "dark" than "green", with occasional hints of green a pleasing discovery where they do gleam through.

A nice, interesting, good-value ink!

#10 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 5,155 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 October 2018 - 01:59

Is Noodler's Green Marine ink still on the market? I still have (most of) a couple of bottles of it, and I remember selecting it because of its claim to whatever-proof qualities. I could go and check its water resistance myself, but I injured my wrist on my writing hand and the GP just told me this afternoon to "rest it for a few weeks" (as if!).  :rolleyes:

My next 'sure bet' would be Sailor STORIA Balloon Green ink, which I don't have. (I have three out of the eight colours, and I bought them in the last couple of months, so I'll assume they're still "on the market".)

I have a bottle of Rubinato Verde Inchiostro ('Green Ink') that I bought recently from a local department store, and I'll hazard a guess that it's at least somewhat water resistant. OK, I just tested it, and Rubinato Verde Inchiostro does not cut it at all.

I haven't tried green marine, the only one I knew of offhand that was waterproof was polar green, and that ink is hot garbage for any pen that doesn't absolutely positively need to be freeze-resistant. And wancher green is weird as hell, is just feels like it shoots out through the nib, through the paper coating, and soaks into the very soul of the paper. it feathers and bleeds uncontrollably in XXF nibs. 

Storia might have some waterfastness, since it's a pigmented ink. I just don't like the bright colors of the Storia line.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#11 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• 3,465 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 October 2018 - 03:16

... the only one I knew of offhand that was waterproof ... 

I thought we were talking about water resistance, not waterproofness.

fpn_1540869070__noodlers_green_marine_qu

Some colour left by Noodler's Green Marine will definitely be lifted off the page upon contact with water, and that could end up staining neighbouring areas on the paper (or staining something else), so it's not waterproof by any possible interpretation of the word. However, it is certainly water resistant, and writing done in Green Marine ink cannot be obliterated or made illegible just by washing or soaking in plain water.

#12 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 5,155 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 October 2018 - 03:57

Again with the semantics  :rolleyes:

You know what I meant. We're talking about it still being legible. No non-pigmented inks that I know of are truly waterproof on paper that doesn't soak in. True waterproof inks are generally outside the domain of fountain pens.

Edited by Honeybadgers, 30 October 2018 - 03:58.

#13 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• 3,465 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 October 2018 - 04:08

You know what I meant.

No, actually, I didn't. When you changed the wording from 'water resistance' to 'waterproof', it suggested to me a possible 'shifting of the goalposts' in your mind consciously or subconsciously. I wasn't about to assume those two terms have logical equivalence in your cognitive framework; they aren't equivalent in my understanding, and it does not appear from what else I've read on FPN that many others regard them as same.

We're talking about it still being legible. No non-pigmented inks that I know of are truly waterproof on paper that doesn't soak in. True waterproof inks are generally outside the domain of fountain pens.

Yet, more and more so, there are pigmented inks formulated and marketed for use with fountain pens. Or should I now assume (because I allegedly know what you 'meant') fountain pen inks can only include dye inks, and not anything users past or present have put in their fountain pens with which to write irrespective of a higher level of pen 'hygiene' or maintenance required?

#14 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 5,155 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 October 2018 - 05:35

We're not going down this rabbit hole again, so please stop trying to pick this fight. I want us to be able to interact amicably. Your grasp of English is excellent, and you clearly understood the intent of the context we were discussing. It would have made no sense for me to arbitrarily segue into a completely different subject. Don't be patronizing. It's immensely rude. I don't want to sound patronizing myself because I'm fairly sure you already know this, but  for future reference, if we're in a thread discussing a subject, and I use a word that could be construed as a simile, that was what I meant, and I'm not suddenly jumping into a new subject matter. 

Most pigmented inks will still move around a bit because they have a dye component. Even the serious pigmented players like sei boku and carbon black will move around enough to not be the best option for a watercolor overlay because they do have a dye component that can't really stay put like their pigments do. I don't know about the Storia inks, though. But every pigmented ink I've seen will stumble a bit if not permitted to soak into the paper because they do have an underlying dye component. Shellac or gelatin based inks create a hard layer that pigmented inks try to emulate. The effect is good, but I write in the rain about 200 days a year as a paramedic, and even platinum carbon will wiggle a little when the page gets wet.

Edited by Honeybadgers, 30 October 2018 - 05:41.

#15 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• 3,465 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 October 2018 - 05:57

Sailor seiboku and souboku do not wash out at all, once left to dry on the page for ten minutes or so, in my experience. The same cannot be said about Sailor kiwaguro in the same product line.

As far as online discussion and posts are concerned, I'll continue to regard everyone as carefully and deliberately choosing each and every word they write, so they vary their wording, I'll continue to assume that there is something at least subtly different in their cognitive/internal representation of what they are writing about. That's not patronising, but simply having a high expectation of others in line with my expectations I have of myself (which even I sometimes fail to meet). I'm not going to prioritise getting agreement, pretending there is inherent like-mindedness or mutual understanding, or favouring harmony over treating discourse as primarily an intellectual exercise. Even for the purposes of information sharing, precision and accuracy take priority over putting readers in a receptive mindset any day, in my book – except when someone is paying me to facilitate a workshop, or produce a technical report or whitepaper they commissioned.

Edited by A Smug Dill, 30 October 2018 - 05:57.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: monteverde, gemstone, olivine, olive, green

Sponsored Content

|