Question Re Barrel Imprint On Touchdown

PaulS

an unremarkable and common pen about which I know almost nothing but have assumed it's an Imperial Touchdown of some description, and I've examples of the model from the States, Oz and now this one which was made in Canada, with a barrel imprint which reads SHEAFFER'S - R.D. 1960 - MADE IN CANADA.

I'm probably overlooking the obvious, but can someone please tell me what the R.D. stands for. thanks for looking. :)

post-125342-0-24080200-1540217673_thumb.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PaulS

• joss

• ardene

• BaronWulfraed

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a Canadian Sheaffer PFM II with exactly the same imprint (SHEAFFER'S - R.D. 1960 - MADE IN CANADA), albeit that the imprint is on the cap.

I do not know what RD means. Many English pens though bear a 'registered' imprint in various abbreviations: might this be a Canadian (Commonwealth) variation?

thanks joss - you may be correct in some way, but at the moment I don't think it enlightens us a great deal - are you suggesting something like a Reg. Trade Mark or perhaps is means Registered Design ?

Think I'd rather have your PFM than my Touchdown :D

No help on the R.D.... but curious about the model itself. I've only seen fingernail nibs on the "Lady Sheaffer" line; but the rest of the pen has the squared ends that appeared in the PFM and earlier Imperials.

Hi - not in fact a 'fingernail' nib, with that flat slightly creased in the middle look, as in the Lady range - in cross section this one has a typical curved shape as in a standard nib - perhaps my pix not too clear. This nib is a fine, and rather sharp too - don't think I'd care to write often with it - also notice that there is an absence of nib imprint for 14 ct. - 585, in fact none of my four examples shows carat status, perhaps that's hidden under the hood. I am beginning to wonder if the letters might well stand for Registered Design - I think that would make sense, and doesn't necessarily imply this pen was made in 1960. The leaflet that came in what was obviously the original box, and gives filling instructions for a snorkel, a touchdown and a cartridge pen

thanks joss - you may be correct in some way, but at the moment I don't think it enlightens us a great deal - are you suggesting something like a Reg. Trade Mark or perhaps is means Registered Design ?

That was my idea but it indeed doesn't make sense if there is no additional "Trade Mark" imprint or a serial number like on English & Canadian Parker Vacumatics and Duofolds

"Registered Design" is a possibility but then 1960 appears a bit late to register the PFM design.

the PFM, as we know, is a snorkel design - and a big one at that - so don't think we should compare this slimmer touchdown to the PFM model.

Hope I haven't missed the point you were making joss - I can be thick at times :)

the PFM, as we know, is a snorkel design - and a big one at that - so don't think we should compare this slimmer touchdown to the PFM model.

Hope I haven't missed the point you were making joss - I can be thick at times :)

Hi Paul,

My point was that if "RD" stands for "Registered Design", then the imprint "RD 1960" is not logical for the Sheaffer PFM because the PFM was introduced already in 1959.

Could be the case that the registration of the design was pending when the pen reached the market. Does the pen have any mechanical or stylistic innovations to suggest that the company wanted to scare off possible imitators (a.k.a. the sincerest of flatterers)?

Edit: A guide on Sheaffer US patents. There are three or four for 1960, most of the about "writing instruments" per se, i.e. the design of pens. Might be a start.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/10415-sheaffer-patents/

Edited by ardene