How Much For Parker Vacumatic (Not Debutante?)

surprise123

I really want a Matrix pen that I can gaze at all day, but I don't like small pens. I really like the length of the Parker 51, so what kind of model Vacumatic should I get that won't hit my spending money too hard? I saved up $200 from the summer so my options are not too limited.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• surprise123

• MBDostoevsky

• FarmBoy

• mitto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In $200 you would hopefully be able to find a good condition 1st/2nd generation Standard or a third generation Major/Long Major. Happy hunting.

Khan M. Ilyas

I buy them unrestored and restore them myself. That way I get them cheap. But I would advise having a restored one from a reputable dealer like from Terim of 'peytonestreet pens' if in case you don't feel comfortable restoring it yourself.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

How would I go by restoring them myself? I don't have any tools, although I have removed pumps from P51 Vacs before. Are Vacumatics the same when it comes to removing pumps?

I buy them unrestored and restore them myself. That way I get them cheap. But I would advise having a restored one from a reputable dealer like from Terim of 'peytonestreet pens' if in case you don't feel comfortable restoring it yourself.

I have restored sac fillers and one minute repair on a gasket in a Sheaffer Touchdown, but I've never gone as far as to restore a whole Vacumatic pump.

For around $125-150 you can find a really nice Vacumatic in restored condition.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I just sold a 3rd gen Vac major golden pearl on 10/13 at a very small flea market for $80. I buy them cheap & restore them myself.

I made $50 on the pen. I am not greedy as long as I make a profit.

How would I go by restoring them myself? I don't have any tools, although I have removed pumps from P51 Vacs before. Are Vacumatics the same when it comes to removing pumps?

With limited experience and the older materials not being the same as the P51s ,I would go with getting your first restored already from a reputable seller. Since first impressions matter.

I did in fact have a Parker Vacumatic Sub-Debutante (is that what it's called?) and I wasn't very happy with the size of the pen. I returned it promptly. That was the first and last time that I would ever buy a (sub) demi size pen. I loved the nib, though. It was a mere $40, I think, but I didn't like its size.

A pen that small isn't for everyone. I have one (my first Vac) -- a 3rd Generation Azure Blue Pearl. I prefer my other Azure Blue (a Debutante Speedline filler) better, in that it is slightly larger. But of course my favorite Vac is the Red Shadow Wave 1st Generation Junior).

I had a little trouble getting used to the section on that first pen, because it is relatively small.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I just bought a Parker Vacumatic Major, 3rd Generation Gray Pearl with a new diaphragm installed for $50. The reason the pen was so cheap was the long, cursive monogrammed name and the wear to the section that the seller had not cleaned up. The barrel is transparent but has an orange hue to it. This seller has lots of good reviews and accepts returns, so I'm not as cautious with him/her as I am with the international sellers with no feedback.

I just bought a Parker Vacumatic Major, 3rd Generation Gray Pearl with a new diaphragm installed for $50. The reason the pen was so cheap was the long, cursive monogrammed name and the wear to the section that the seller had not cleaned up. The barrel is transparent but has an orange hue to it. This seller has lots of good reviews and accepts returns, so I'm not as cautious with him/her as I am with the international sellers with no feedback.

Good that you found one... I am after a Burgundy myself... :)

یاسر، رنگوں میںں کیا رکھا ہے؟ نب شاندار ھونی چاهیے Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Mmm... burgundies are gorgeous. I really want an Azure Blue, but those are expensive.

Mmm... burgundies are gorgeous. I really want an Azure Blue, but those are expensive.

Azure Blue is abundantly listed and are easily bought but not at a lower price point... sometimes you have to be careful as the nib might have been replaced... usually with duofold nibs...

I usually confuse between a Burgundy and Golden Pearl because of how the picture is taken... I may have ruled out some burgundies deeming them as golden pearl, but not the converse...

The internal barrel reflection (reddish brown) sometimes overshadows the golden pearl color for me... probably a visual flaw in my eyes...

And yes, I gaze at a Burgundy because they somehow remind me of Manhattan... dont ask how or why!

یاسر، رنگوں میںں کیا رکھا ہے؟ نب شاندار ھونی چاهیے

mitto....

I am not too nibby :) ... i have just started to buy a few pens here and there... going into specific nibs is another level... i need to cover the basics first..

Plus I have a very nice adviser, who I can blackmail into giving me good nibs for my pens! :lol:

mitto....

I am not too nibby :) ... i have just started to buy a few pens here and there... going into specific nibs is another level... i need to cover the basics first..

Plus I have a very nice adviser, who I can blackmail into giving me good nibs for my pens! :lol:

I know who that idiot :) adviser of yours is.

Khan M. Ilyas

Never... he is a kind hearted person... he will give the nibs himself ☺

If you've caught up with modern-day satirical cartoons:

There must be a way

For this to victimize me