Glitter Powder And Shimmer Ink

AlohaLani787

Let me preface my questions by stating I would test this with a glass pen. No way would I put this brew in any of my existing fountain pens. Now to the questions:

1. Has anyone (I'm SURE someone here has) tried powder additives to ink?

2. Do they negatively impact the flow characteristics and viscosity, and if so, how did you mitigate them?

3. What brand of powder additive do you recommend?

4. Is a glass pen the best tool to use? Perhaps recommend an inexpensive fountain pen?

After receiving some intriguing Diamine samples from a penpal, I ordered a boatload more. Then I received another letter partially written in shimmer ink and that sealed the deal. I want shimmer and lots of it. :)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• AlohaLani787

• HalloweenHJB

• Noihvo

I have not used any additives, so my reply does not address that. But to question 4 about inexpensive pens, I can address my experience using Diamine and Herbin shimmer inks.

Jinhao 992 pens, at about $1-$2/ea on eBay, are great for shimmer inks. The bodies will eventually crack, so these are not amazing pens for the sake of the body, but great to use as delivery systems for somewhat messy inks. The nibs are surprisingly good. The F nibs are regular nibs and can be fully removed from the pen for easy cleaning. The EF nibs are hooded, which means they cannot be disassembled as fully, but they are still great writers. At their low price point, it may be worth dedicating one pen to each ink you want to use. If they clog or get really messed up and you need to just toss it, it is not a huge loss.

You can find them individually or in sets like this: 15 pens for $22.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15PCS-Set-Jinhao-992-Transparent-China-Fountain-Pens-Screw-Cap-Fine-F-0-5mm-Nib/273237919128?hash=item3f9e3fc598:g:GUEAAOSwvmNbCSxq

Edited by goodpens

Let me preface my questions by stating I would test this with a glass pen. No way would I put this brew in any of my existing fountain pens. Now to the questions:

1. Has anyone (I'm SURE someone here has) tried powder additives to ink?

2. Do they negatively impact the flow characteristics and viscosity, and if so, how did you mitigate them?

3. What brand of powder additive do you recommend?

4. Is a glass pen the best tool to use? Perhaps recommend an inexpensive fountain pen?

After receiving some intriguing Diamine samples from a penpal, I ordered a boatload more. Then I received another letter partially written in shimmer ink and that sealed the deal. I want shimmer and lots of it. :)

Been doing it for years, first with eye shadow powder, then with artist pigments (Pearl-X, I THINK). They work as well as any glitter inks you can buy, but I do have two or three inexpensive ($5 or less!) pens I dedicate to their use.

I haven't used my glitters in a while. Depending where you live (US only), if you want to try some, I'd send a sample of artist powder. I also bought loose eye shadow powder from a dollar store, so you may be able to get some of that locally.

Edited by Sailor Kenshin

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I have not used any additives, so my reply does not address that. But to question 4 about inexpensive pens, I can address my experience using Diamine and Herbin shimmer inks.

Jinhao 992 pens, at about $1-$2/ea on eBay, are great for shimmer inks. The bodies will eventually crack, so these are not amazing pens for the sake of the body, but great to use as delivery systems for somewhat messy inks. The nibs are surprisingly good. The F nibs are regular nibs and can be fully removed from the pen for easy cleaning. The EF nibs are hooded, which means they cannot be disassembled as fully, but they are still great writers. At their low price point, it may be worth dedicating one pen to each ink you want to use. If they clog or get really messed up and you need to just toss it, it is not a huge loss.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15PCS-Set-Jinhao-992-Transparent-China-Fountain-Pens-Screw-Cap-Fine-F-0-5mm-Nib/273237919128?hash=item3f9e3fc598:g:GUEAAOSwvmNbCSxq

Thanks for the tip! It would be so much easier to dedicate a pen to each inky concoction than use a glass pen.

Been doing it for years, first with eye shadow powder, then with artist pigments (Pearl-X, I THINK). They work as well as any glitter inks you can buy, but I do have two or three inexpensive ($5 or less!) pens I dedicate to their use.

I haven't used my glitters in a while. Depending where you live (US only), if you want to try some, I'd send a sample of artist powder. I also bought loose eye shadow powder from a dollar store, so you may be able to get some of that locally.

Thanks for tip. Eye shadow powder? That opens up an infinite number of possibilities! Sent you a PM.

I recently received a bottle of De Atramentis Brilliant Violet with Copper ink and tried it in a Dollar 717i pen, which has worked well with other challenging inks. The first line was smooth and saturated, the second drier, the third quite pale, and on the fourth, the pen stopped writing altogether.

I think I will use the ink only with dip pens.

About four years ago there were some experiments along these lines that led to several threads. One is "Experimenting with Gold (powder)" Luster dust is available in many colors.

Yes, HalloweenHJB and I have been experimenting for a while. The luster powders you find for cakes work quite well. USE VERY little. Add to a wet ink and a pen with a huge feed.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Yes, HalloweenHJB and I have been experimenting for a while. The luster powders you find for cakes work quite well. USE VERY little. Add to a wet ink and a pen with a huge feed.

True! Luster Dust was what I have used, and some of the inks I concocted I still use as regular inks for a few of my fountain pens. My observations are about the same as Amberlea's: they work better in more lubricated inks and with good flowing nibs. Keeping the sparkles in suspension works about the same as the commercially produced shimmer inks.

For example, I have an older Pelikan M250 that I didn't love a lot, and it stays loaded with my combination of J. Herbin Vert Olive and silver luster dust. For some reason it works nicely for me, and I use it for grading papers —much to the delight of my students. Some darker orange inks with bronze or copper dust were super nice, too. [before Coraline d'Égypte showed up...]

My only caution is that once you use luster dust in a fountain pen, it's nearly impossible to get every, single, solitary, last molecule of sparkle out of the converter or reservoir —most, yes, but not 100%. So pick a pen that you won't mind the stray residual sparkly from popping up.

Have fun!

Edited by HalloweenHJB

I can even show you some of the cartridges that I filled with shimmer inks and the shimmer is still there a long time later.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Actually, I prefer the HUGE nibs. These end up being so cheap that you can fill them and forget them. (I don't but I love that they are cheaper than liquid ink roller ball pens at Office Depot).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jinhao-990-Art-0-38-0-5-0-7-1-1-1-5-1-9-2-5-2-9mm-Student-office-Fountain-Pen/223022975063?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=521831269224&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/0-7-1-5-1-1-1-9-2-5-2-9mm-Pen-Flat-Italic-Nib-Duckbilled-Gothic-Calligraphy-Pen/362458990138?hash=item54643d463a:m:m39ytuiCBqotikpU610gNCw:rk:4:pf:0

I recently received a bottle of De Atramentis Brilliant Violet with Copper ink and tried it in a Dollar 717i pen, which has worked well with other challenging inks. The first line was smooth and saturated, the second drier, the third quite pale, and on the fourth, the pen stopped writing altogether.

I think I will use the ink only with dip pens.

I'm guessing I'll have to stick with the glass pen for inks I mix with glitter ,but I'm willing to sacrifice a few of the cheapie Jinhao's on order. I do have some Speedball nibs that are wide and will try those. With the increased viscosity after adding powder and glitter it *may* work, I'll find out.

About four years ago there were some experiments along these lines that led to several threads. One is "Experimenting with Gold (powder)" Luster dust is available in many colors.

Thanks, I'll do a search this morning and see what I find.

Wow, for cake? This is going to be interesting!

True! Luster Dust was what I have used, and some of the inks I concocted I still use as regular inks for a few of my fountain pens. My observations are about the same as Amberlea's: they work better in more lubricated inks and with good flowing nibs. Keeping the sparkles in suspension works about the same as the commercially produced shimmer inks.

For example, I have an older Pelikan M250 that I didn't love a lot, and it stays loaded with my combination of J. Herbin Vert Olive and silver luster dust. For some reason it works nicely for me, and I use it for grading papers —much to the delight of my students. Some darker orange inks with bronze or copper dust were super nice, too. [before Coraline d'Égypte showed up...]

My only caution is that once you use luster dust in a fountain pen, it's nearly impossible to get every, single, solitary, last molecule of sparkle out of the converter or reservoir —most, yes, but not 100%. So pick a pen that you won't mind the stray residual sparkly from popping up.

Have fun!

Ha, I just used some of Coraline d"Egypt last night in a letter. Stunning copper color in need of even more sparkle.....

I can even show you some of the cartridges that I filled with shimmer inks and the shimmer is still there a long time later.

I'll NEVER use any of my concoctions in anything but a glass, dip, or super cheapie FP.

I have a couple of Speedball nibs that are pretty wide and will try those first, but will save your links in case I want an actual cheapie wide nib FP. Thanks!

Well, well....I had placed a few calls to neighbors this morning - after all this is an emergency, is it not? The daughter of one likes to paint and lo and behold her mother came over with a little container of something called Perfect Pearls Sunflower Sparkle. I siphoned half the sample bottle of J. Herbin's Coraline d'Egypt and went to work.

Thanks to a tip I read, I used more than I though would be necessary for the first pass, which was pretty good, but the second pass may be too much. At this point I'll wait for the cheapie sacrificial Jinhao's to arrive before using up what's left. Cell phone photos, but I think they do adequately show off the effect and I LOVE it!!!!! Good grief, this is fun! :D

fpn_1540474073__coraline4.jpg

fpn_1540474116__coraline5.jpg

Very sparkly.

I use Pearl-Ex powders, they look great and not had any major clogging. But I stick to putting it into Jinhao cheapies and similar.

Edited by LizB

Thanks, I'll do a search this morning and see what I find.

Wow, for cake? This is going to be interesting!

That's where I first of Lustre Dust -- at a cake and candy supply. It comes in a bunch of different colors. I've used it by mixing it into sugarplate (similar to gum paste) and painting it onto marzipan or wafer paper after mixing it with with rosewater or alcohol. Or just sprinkling it on top of a cake.

Wilton makes a version (forget the name, but I've gotten it on occasion at my local Michael's craft store) but I don't like how it behaves as well as the Lustre Dust does.

Ruth Morrisson aka instainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

fpn_1540579120__img_4652.jpg

Once again, mass-manufactured pens are far more consistent in behavior than expensive custom jobs.

Consistent does not mean consistently superior. One thing mass-manufactured pens don't get are well-engineered ebonite feeds. They tend to be plastic, and wider spaced, which is a blessing and a curse. You don't get as good a flow, but they'll swallow abuse that'd ruin better pens.

The Jinhao pens arrived. These were ordered as Fine, however 2 are Extra Fine. I ordered the demonstrator style over opaque for assistance with ink identification. This weekend I will start mixing ink and various luster powders with my Diamine Shimmer samples and one or two Montblanc inks.

The Jinhao pens arrived in 2 bundles of 6 with each pen inside a faux velveteen pouch attached. Because the pouches are designed to easily separate I covered the back of each set of 6 with 3 strips of 2" masking tape to hold them together as I don't want to chase down a dozen individual pens. I labeled each pen and the first in each pouch.

To start I will fill one converter with a test ink to record how each writes and move the converter to each pen. Flushing a dozen nibs will be time consuming enough, flushing one converter will be easier plus it's an ink color I want to use in the experiment that's not Diamine.

For testing a broader swath of the to-be-mixed ink I'll use my 2 wider Speedball dip pens and 1 glass pen. My "scoop" for the powder additives is a very small Speedball nib flipped upside down. Also, I'll be using a Red & Black notebook to record everything. It's decent paper, larger than my usual A5 size, and it's lined. The biggest test will be to see if I can get through this experiment without dropping any glitter or luster powder!

fpn_1540899839__jinhao1.jpg

Looking forward to seeing them in action.