Penbbs Section Swapping

probablyobsessedwithpenstuff

Does anyone know if you can swap the grip sections of a penbbs 309 with the 323 as i love my 309 but I like the look of the section on the 323 and the clip-less cap and i wondered if anyone who had both had already tried to put them together? Or if someone could give me the thread diameters so i can compare them.

Yes i know they aren't expensive but im still fairly new (only a year) and im a student so i really have to justify buying anything, otherwise i would just take a chance and go for it.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mech-for-i

• probablyobsessedwithpenstuff

• Driften

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not just a matter of the section screwing into the body, but also how well it fits into the cap. If the cap is well designed it will fit closely to the section to keep the nib from drying out. Just something else to think of. I agree the shape of the section was the reason I ordered a 323 which is in the mail to me. I don't have any other PenBBS pens so will not be much help.

I happen to have both so I will do some experiment .. back to you when I am done trying out the combos

OK .. here's the result :

309 cap will not work on 323

323 cap will not work on 309

323 section will not screw into 309 properly

309 section can screw into 323 properly and caped properly too with the 323 cap

Thats annoying :mellow: , but thanks a lot! :) can you see why the section will not screw in properly?

It is weird how one section will work with both but the other won't.

I am now pretty intrigued and may get one anyway and look at modifying it somehow to make it fit, since it cant be something major as the diameter and thread must be the same.

Actually the answer is pretty simple, they might have the same thread spec but tha does not mean they have the same thread turned. the 309 section had a shorter thread and have the O ring at the barrel end of the section , the 323 section is longer and have the O ring placed on the nib end .. the 323 thus had a threading that need to screw in deeper and the barrel had to had that turned, the 309 barrel clearly does not had that as its designed for a shorter 309 section. So the 323 section will screw in but once it hit the end of thread its not going further with a fair bit of the supposed to be screwed in part of the section still exposed. In theory , one can take a lathe and might be ground down the thread of the 323 section to couple that but I have not measure exactly how much of that would be needed and I do not think its a good idea to try that either but I wager hacking is possible