Celluloid Montblanc 14X : Repair Cracked / Sheared Barrel Threads

fountainbel

Hi all,

Given the thin remaining wall between the inner and outer threading, the barrel threads are prone for cracking on the aged, hence brittle celluloid.
I’ve already repaired several 149 and 146 pen by integrating a complete new barrel insert.
Being long time frustrated on the loss of the existing lined ink window when integrating a completely new barrel insert , I decided it was time to come up with a completely new - and strong! - repair approach which would allow the keep the original lined ink window.
I've tested a prototype on which I’ve used this repair approach thoroughly over the last months, so I was confident I could use it on a customers pen.
The inner and outer 4 leads threads on the new celluloid thread ring were cut manually on the lathe since I don’t have taps or dies for these "non standardized" threads.
Barrel front was slightly shortened , just removing the broken out thread spires.
Then made a 1.5mm long diameter reduction on the front outside of the barrel on which the new celluloid thread ring was fused with liquid celluloid.
Unfortunately I only had transparent celluloid available to make the threaded ring, I would have been simpler if I would have used black celluloid...
The new made threaded ring was then coated on the outside with black liquid celluloid to hide its transparency.
On the attached Photobucket link you can see a repaired Montblanc 146 pen and a sketch showing my new repair approach.
Only drawback is the lined ink window is 1.5 mm shorter as original, but the repair is nearly visible.
As always your comments and thoughts on this repair approach are most welcome !
Best regards,
Francis
Just adding a second picture to show the transparency of the (ambered) lined ink window better.
Note the repair was not finished yet on the picture, still needed to coat the threads a second time with liquid black celluloid !

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainbel

• CS388

• farmdogfan

• siamackz

Inspiring, as always!

Today I received my cracked 144 striated green back from Francis after repairs. It has turned a rather gloomy work week into one filled with hope. Thank you for your great work Francis!

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

Inspiring, as always!

Today I received my cracked 144 striated green back from Francis after repairs. It has turned a rather gloomy work week into one filled with hope. Thank you for your great work Francis!

Thanks for your kind reaction Sia, wishing you many years writing pleasure with your beautiful striated 144 !

Attached a new picture of the finished 146 with the new threaded ring.

On this picture one can see better the ink transparency on the ambered window.

Best regards,

Francis

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h89/fountainbel/Repaired%20Vintage%20fountain%20pens/2018-10-192010.43.51.jpg

Incredible work, without which many of these old pens would be lost.

Always a joy to see your handiwork, Francis.

thanks for sharing.

Thanks farmdogfan & CS388 for your encouraging comments, much appreciated.

I love this kind of challenging repairs, bringing these nice pens back to life makes me happy !

Best regards,

Francis 388

This is great to see another pen (pen's barrel) rescued! Great chance if parts are not available anymore.

It is very interesting to see such work, how you did it and the outcome.

Could you also make the threads end directly at the ink window? This would keep the original look.

Nevertheless great work!

Cheers

Michael

This is great to see another pen (pen's barrel) rescued! Great chance if parts are not available anymore.

It is very interesting to see such work, how you did it and the outcome.

Could you also make the threads end directly at the ink window? This would keep the original look.

Nevertheless great work!

Cheers

Michael

Thanks for your encouraging comment Michael !

MakIng the threads directly a the ink window is unfortunately not possible in my opinion .
The thread depth on the new thread ring would only leave 0.15mm wall thickness for the fixation fit on the barrel.
This would make the repair very weak hence….. prone for sharing.
And the barrel would also become 1.5 mm shorter…….

Francis

Great result Francis according the initial broken situation, specially that you succeeded to recuperatie the original parts indeed.

It's probably also the most affordable or only way for repair. We enjoy your persistance, creativity and results... not imagine the risks and time such repairs contain !

Great solution! compliments. I will copy this if you allow. :-)

a tiny suggestion - reduce the diameter of the section´s threads by simply cutting them again, taking off 0,5 mm allows to create the new threads a tiny bit stronger...

Tom Westerich

See whats newly listed on PENBOARD.DE

email: twesterich@penboard.de

Abruzzo/Italy and Hamburg/Germany

Great solution! compliments. I will copy this if you allow. :-)

a tiny suggestion - reduce the diameter of the section´s threads by simply cutting them again, taking off 0,5 mm allows to create the new threads a tiny bit stronger...

Glad reading you like my repair approach Tom !

And no problem using this repair method for your repairs , it's for free , not patented !

Your suggestion to reduce the diameter of the section threads is surely interesting for doing the similar repair on 13X pens.

The complete filler - inclusive the cork seal - can be installed from the from the rear on the 13X pens.

On 14X pens - were the cork is to be installed from the section side after installing the filler from the back - reducing the diameter of the section threads would make installation of the cork considerably more difficult….

Francis