The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Fake Pilot Vanishing Point Decimo?

counterfeit fake pilot vanishing point decimo capless nib

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 DurgonFly

DurgonFly

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2018 - 03:38

Hello all. I'm pretty new to FPN, and I'm wondering if you can help me with a question about the authenticity of my Pilot Vanishing Point Decimo. I received the pen today, and when I opened it up to put in some ink I noticed that the nib is unlike any other Pilot VP nib I have ever seen. I have been looking online for hours, but I can't find a single image of a Pilot VP nib that looks like what I have in front of me. I'm thinking that I might have received a counterfeit. 

Has anybody ever seen or even heard of a Pilot VP nib that looks like this one does?

Image Link (because the site is being slow for me and I can't post the images here): https://imgur.com/a/1dceyCa

Short Description: The nib has these sort of cut outs in the base, where the nib and feed join with the metal tube. The "wings" that wrap around the bottom of the feed and hold the nib and feed together are also different.

Sponsored Content

#2 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2018 - 04:03

It looks the same as the EF nib in the Pilot deep red birch VP I ordered and received from Japan this month; and, yes, it looks different from the ten other Pilot Capless nibs I have, but then this is my first EF nib. (All the rest I bought in past years are F and M nibs.)

Let's give each other due respect, and approach discussion rigorously. We're all peers and equals here as fellow hobbyists, with common interests in the acquisition and use of fountain pens, but not necessarily any shared values, and no obligation to offer each other moral support for one's narrative or position.

Don't think 'cos I understand, I care
Don't think 'cos I'm talking, we're friends

—'6 Underground' by Sneaker Pimps

#3 jekostas

jekostas

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 06:22

There are no fake or counterfeit Pilot Vanishing Point pens.  There have never been any fake or counterfeit Pilot Vanishing Point pens in the 50+ years of the pen's history.  Your pen is absolutely, 100% authentic.

Your nib has a very recent manufacturing date of April, 2018.  It's much more likely that Pilot made a minor change to the design and the newer nibs are just trickling out on to the market.

#4 Freddy

Freddy

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,973 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2018 - 14:44

Hello all. I'm pretty new to FPN, and I'm wondering if you can help me with a question about the authenticity of my Pilot Vanishing Point Decimo. I received the pen today, and when I opened it up to put in some ink I noticed that the nib is unlike any other Pilot VP nib I have ever seen. I have been looking online for hours, but I can't find a single image of a Pilot VP nib that looks like what I have in front of me. I'm thinking that I might have received a counterfeit. 

Has anybody ever seen or even heard of a Pilot VP nib that looks like this one does?

Image Link (because the site is being slow for me and I can't post the images here): https://imgur.com/a/1dceyCa

Short Description: The nib has these sort of cut outs in the base, where the nib and feed join with the metal tube. The "wings" that wrap around the bottom of the feed and hold the nib and feed together are also different.

DurgonFly..Welcome....Enjoy your time here....And new Vanishing Point....

Fred

#5 SpecTP

SpecTP

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2018 - 15:53

it's an authentic VP nib unit and decimo.

#6 rumpole2019

rumpole2019

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2019 - 15:47

There are no fake or counterfeit Pilot Vanishing Point pens.  There have never been any fake or counterfeit Pilot Vanishing Point pens in the 50+ years of the pen's history.  Your pen is absolutely, 100% authentic.

Your nib has a very recent manufacturing date of April, 2018.  It's much more likely that Pilot made a minor change to the design and the newer nibs are just trickling out on to the market.

How can you be sure there are no counterfeits?  I had three VPs in different colours and each had a silver/nickle coloured nib with engraving "Pilot 18k750 M" on each.  All were medium, write beautifully and cost me £145 each.  In London recently I bought another from what seemed a reputable stationery shop and paid £125.  It does not write as nicely and it has a gold nib, supposedly medium, engraved "Pilot M 750" although it feels more like a fine nib.  I am wondering whether this is counterfeit given the cheaper price and the poorer writing experience.  Can you explain the difference for me?

#7 Freddy

Freddy

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,973 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2019 - 16:02

DurgonFly....Hope you're still enjoyin' your new pen.....If you ever come back..

please let us know....One (1) post is not enough.......

Fred

Again....that mischievous invisible Unicorn was hangin' out in my garage.........

Don't believe me.....Prove me wrong...........Listening to 

Don't Start Me Talkin'.......Sonny Boy Williamson

Edited by Freddy, 17 March 2019 - 16:03.

#8 BaronWulfraed

BaronWulfraed

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2019 - 20:23

How can you be sure there are no counterfeits?  I had three VPs in different colours and each had a silver/nickle coloured nib with engraving "Pilot 18k750 M" on each.  All were medium, write beautifully and cost me £145 each.  In London recently I bought another from what seemed a reputable stationery shop and paid £125.  It does not write as nicely and it has a gold nib, supposedly medium, engraved "Pilot M 750" although it feels more like a fine nib.  I am wondering whether this is counterfeit given the cheaper price and the poorer writing experience.  Can you explain the difference for me?

Unplated gold nibs do exist... My oldest Vanishing Point (the faceted barrel, one piece nose) has

Unplated gold

Pilot

14K585

<B>

My modern/current Vanishing Points are:

Rhodium plated

Pilot

18K750

<SU>

and

Gold

Pilot

14K585

<F>

Decimo is

Rhodium plated

Pilot

18K750

<M>

Interesting... the indexing key/knob on the 14K nibs is quite square [=], whereas the 18K nibs have rounded ends (=). I suspect both the 14K units are late 80s or early 90s models.

I'll concede the exact marking you report does seem rather less than complete. It may mean someone IS doing things with compatible nib/sections -- but the rest of the pen could easily be a real Pilot body.

#9 rumpole2019

rumpole2019

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:39

Thanks Baron.  I should add that yellow tone of the body of the cheaper pen is different to the yellow of the more expensive pen, again leaving question marks in my mind.  I should have been more thorough when buying it!

#10 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• 2,977 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:17

In London recently I bought another from what seemed a reputable stationery shop and paid £125.  It does not write as nicely and it has a gold nib, supposedly medium, engraved "Pilot M 750" although it feels more like a fine nib.

Some Pilot Capless Vanishing Point models legitimately come fitted with 'special alloy' nibs that are yellow/gold in colour. That said, the '750' marking does not make sense as a production date code (whereas, say, '705' — meaning July 2005 — would). Could you show us a picture of the nib's markings?

Let's give each other due respect, and approach discussion rigorously. We're all peers and equals here as fellow hobbyists, with common interests in the acquisition and use of fountain pens, but not necessarily any shared values, and no obligation to offer each other moral support for one's narrative or position.

#11 rumpole2019

rumpole2019

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2019 - 12:18

Actually i wrote the wrong number: its 716 so is that July 2016? How do you post a picture here?

#12 kpong11

kpong11

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2019 - 12:37

So with lower price model, it came with steel nib.

#13 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• 2,977 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2019 - 12:57

Actually i wrote the wrong number: its 716 so is that July 2016?

Yes.

I guess you bought yourself a Pilot Capless pen with the model number FCN-1MR-DY that is fitted with a 'special alloy' nib. That's not a fake.

How do you post a picture here?

Embed the markdown string of [img="image_URL"] in your post. If you want FPN to host the image for you (N.B. once you upload an image to FPN, you will not have the ability to delete it yourself from the database or make changes to that copy), use the Upload facility to which a link is provided in the navigational bar right below the banner at the top of each page .

#14 rumpole2019

rumpole2019

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2019 - 16:08

I can't get the photo thing working but the nib is the same as the photo posted by Karmakoda on 18th July 2013 in the forum "Is my Vanishing Point the current design.  Elsewhere i read that the special alloy nib was for the Japanese domestic market.  I remember the lady in the shop saying they had gone out to Japan to source the pens so it seems I have one targeted at the domestic Japanese market.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: counterfeit, fake, pilot, vanishing, point, decimo, capless, nib

Sponsored Content

|