The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Engraving A Pilot Vp?

pilot engraving capless

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 essayfaire

essayfaire

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2018 - 23:41

Funny update...

So I ended up ordering the blue carbonesque with a fine nib and the engraving on the clip.  When it arrived I thought it looked great (I had wanted a pen reminiscent of water, and this finish looks more like water in person than in a photo).  I started playing around with it and realized that I thought the engraving was upside-down.  It was correct for a shirt pocket, would have been correct had the pen not been capless, but is facing away from me if I go to write.

The engraving cannot be redone, but the company has ordered a new barrel section that they will re-engrave in the other direction.  It didn't even occur to me to ask for the letters to be reversed....  :o 

Festina lente

Sponsored Content

#22 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,220 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2018 - 23:59

Um, could you please show us a photo of what you received (unless the text of the inscription compromises your personal information or privacy)? I'm assuming that, in your case, the engraved words are in English, and in every example of engraving of pens (mostly from photos on retailers' web sites, but also all physical specimens over the years), the English inscriptions would start from where the section screws onto the barrel, and run along the cap or clip in the direction of the nib.

By the way, one of the three Pilot Capless raden models is designated 'water surface'. :-)

Edited by A Smug Dill, 09 November 2018 - 00:01.

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#23 essayfaire

essayfaire

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2018 - 18:33

So Latin and French, but not English!

Since the VP has the clip on the nib end, when writing the inscription is not oriented toward me.  It would be if I were left-handed.

The Radens are out of my price range, but this Carbonesque does remind me of the waves. ;)

Attached Images

• capless.jpg

Edited by essayfaire, 11 November 2018 - 18:56.

Festina lente

#24 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

• 4,220 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2018 - 06:43

I have just received my two custom engraved Pilot MR Metropolitan pens that I ordered from Japan, and I must say I'm very disappointed with the engraving on one of them. The strokes are nowhere as fine and defined as it showed in the sample image on the product page, and two of the eight kanji characters now appear barely legible blurs.
As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#25 essayfaire

essayfaire

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2018 - 02:04

I have just received my two custom engraved Pilot MR Metropolitan pens that I ordered from Japan, and I must say I'm very disappointed with the engraving on one of them. The strokes are nowhere as fine and defined as it showed in the sample image on the product page, and two of the eight kanji characters now appear barely legible blurs.

So sorry! My daughter brought me a Cocoon from Japan but she got it engraved in person in the store.  Have you told the seller you are disappointed?

Festina lente

#26 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

• 4,220 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2018 - 02:19

Have you told the seller you are disappointed?

Yes, and its staff has yet to reply, but then I did send the complaint on a Friday afternoon (since that's when I received the parcel) and cannot reasonably expect a quick response.

fpn_1542420796__engraving_on_pilot_cocoo

The strokes are nowhere near as fine and crisp as what was shown in the photo of engraving samples on the seller's product pages:
fpn_1542421046__rakuten_market_in_kanji_

The result is acceptable on the 'titanium' Pilot Cocoon, but on the orange one it's a mess.

#27 essayfaire

essayfaire

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2018 - 21:48

The result is acceptable on the 'titanium' Pilot Cocoon, but on the orange one it's a mess.

I think the titanium one looks good. Hopefully the seller will do right by you.  I am very pleased with Pen Chalet - they reordered the part of the pen that gets engraved, redid the engraving, and it arrived yesterday.  Now I can read the inscription when I write. :)

Attached Images

• fixedcapless.jpg

Festina lente

#28 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

• 4,220 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2018 - 21:54

Wonderful!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pilot, engraving, capless

Sponsored Content

|