The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Sailor Shikiori Kinmokusei (Four Seasons – Autumn: Gold Osmanthus)

sailor shikiori kinmokusei autumn seasons jentle orange

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

Vintage

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2018 - 03:49

Another quickie review, on another 'four seasons' colours in the Sailor Jentle Ink line for which I came too late to the party, and missed out on getting it in a 50ml bottle at the old pricing.

fpn_1539572488__sailor_kinmokusei_on_rho

Colour: I love orange – especially when it's the colour of the garment I'm wearing, which means it's far more in others' faces than in mine, although that's not the case here – either bright and intense, or deep and dark, and I love the colour of Sailor kinmokusei, which certainly does not disappoint me in the way Iroshizuku yu-yake and Noodler's Operation Overlord Orange did.

(I only just opened my bottle of Monteverde Topaz in the Gemstone Collection range, to scratch a couple of words on this test page with a dip pen and a mapping nib as a comparison, so I haven't got a very clear or detailed view yet of how it compares with Sailor kinmokusei over more extensive pieces of writing.)

Feathering: None observed.

Ghosting and bleed-through: None, either from writing or from repeated passes with a soaked cotton swab.

fpn_1539574182__sailor_kinmokusei_on_rho

Drying time: Very fast, for writing done with an EF nib with (usually) moderate-to-wet flow; there is almost no observable smearing in just five seconds. My zeroes with a 'broader' nib tend to leave one or two wet spots around the oval shape, and there is some smearing of the '30s' even though the '25s' mark did not smear.

Water resistance: Forget about it.

fpn_1539574423__sailor_kinmokusei_on_rho

Shading: Very subtle, if any, along a single stroke of the pen or an unbroken line, in spite of the range of shades this ink can display. I don't have a problem with that.

Sheen: None that I can see on the Rhodia paper I used, and that's fine by me.

My verdict: I like this ink, it is well-behaved, but with the 'new' pricing for 20ml bottles in the Sailor Shikiori line, I'm not going to rush about to buy spare bottles just yet, especially when I haven't spent enough time using Monteverde Topaz or perhaps trying Diamine Pumpkin.

Edited by A Smug Dill, 15 October 2018 - 04:28.

Sponsored Content

#2 crahptacular

crahptacular

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2018 - 05:23

Love this ink! It's such a cheerful color. I think oranges get particularly flattered in broad round nibs, but this one at least doesn't require a broad nib to look good. EFs do miss out on some shading and slight sheen, but the base color still comes out nicely saturated, which isn't always the case for oranges.

#3 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,469 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 October 2018 - 19:28

I love orange inks but I'm glad you saved me.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sailor, shikiori, kinmokusei, autumn, seasons, jentle, orange

Sponsored Content

|