Nib Grinders/tuners In Europe And The Uk

praetor24

As the title says, I would like to ask you if you happen to know who are the people in Europe and the UK that offer services like regrinding and adjustment of nibs.

I know that FPnibs do it for sure and for a really good price, but they have a waiting list for TWO years. And lifes short, I cant wait that long to get my pen regrinded :) :) :)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• praetor24

• Holon

• Karmachanic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that FPnibs do it for sure and for a really good price, but they have a waiting list for TWO years.

Oh no, really two years? Is it just if you send them a pen or also if you buy a regrinded pen/nib?

I thought about buying there as soon as I can afford it, but waiting for two years would be a bummer.

Grinds on nibs purchased from FPNibs take a few days plus delivery. The waiting list is for your nib/pens sent to them.

Add lightness and simplicate.

Grinds on nibs purchased from FPNibs take a few days plus delivery. The waiting list is for your nib/pens sent to them.

Exactly. The problem is that I need some of the nibs I already have regrinded.

So, are there any options for me?

John Sorowka (sp)/Oxonian on this com. Use to grind nibs for Omas, and Conways Stewart...both top of the line defunct pen makers and has a good reputation even before that.

Peter Twydle

and a guy in Spain, Pedro something...also re-tips nibs....and for much less than what it costs to send to the US to get them re-tipped.

This question has come up before....look in the search section, for more info.

Edited by RMN
Edited the name of Sorowka/Oxonian

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

It means a fountain pen user must learn how to regrind his nibs.

I did some cursive italic grinds and I like to write with them (well, not the early nibs...)

But I want to know the difference to a grind from someone with a lot of experience and skill.

In a way it is like music or cooking: I can do both myself, but I still can enjoy and appreciate the work of others.

John Swoboda (sp)/Oxnard on this com. Use to grind nibs for Omas, and Conways Stewart...both top of the line defunct pen makers and has a good reputation even before that.

Peter Twydle

and a guy in Spain, Pedro something...also re-tips nibs....and for much less than what it costs to send to the US to get them re-tipped.

This question has come up before....look in the search section, for more info.

I did make make my search before posting, but it yielded no relevant result.

Where can I find John Swoboda?

:headsmack: :doh: :rolleyes: I have a mind, I know I did, where's the hat rack?

Francis Goossens/Fountainbel on the com,inventer of the Conid fountain pen, does nib grinding, taught the guy who grinds Conid nibs. He ground my 605 BB into a 1.0 butter smooth stub.

He also repairs pens.........he does pistons properly, properly done cork is still the smoothest of gaskets.

Paraffin is a British thicker than normal mineral oil. Boil the fitted cork in paraffin and beeswax, then slather it with silicon grease......should be good for 70 years if you don't lose it in the dark of the drawer for a couple generations.

If you plan on doing that, fill the pen only with Royal Blue, if flushes out much easier than black or blue-black.

If the ink comes out in a cloud, it is Royal Blue....if stringy...BB and will take 3X longer to clean out.

He's re-corked 5-6 of my pens and did a rebuild of the guts of my '30's Fendomatic (made in Milan) that someone tried glueing the twist mechanism together with super glue.....He built me a new one, a much more complicated repair than the re-corking and for the same price. :notworthy1: :thumbup:

With permission of Penboard.de...in they take great pictures....mine has a slight different pattern on the chasing.

UPQpECd.jpg

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

BoBo got the name almost right, but you would have trouble finding John Sorowka under the spelling BoBo provided. :-)

John goes by "Oxonian", on here.

--h

It wasn't on my spell check. :wacko: ....which was the reason I bought a smart typewriter back when they first came out in small green screen days.

But one can count on folks to come up with the right spelling on such names. If spelled Suroka (Polish), it would be much easier to remember as pig iron, or green brick.....I can spell green. :rolleyes:

Peter Twydle is the son of the great Arthur Twydle, who was the English Frank Dubel, early fountain pen repairman and teacher of pen repair. He trained not only his son, who has books out on pens, but Marshal and Oldfield and was going to be co- author of their great pen repair book, Pen Repair' but died a tad early.

And Fountainble....on this com.