Swan 3172 'philatelic'.

We've had this pastel green (plain, light green) up recently - at a quick glance it's too close to the greys for comfort, and no doubt a few folk have confused the two, especially since plain grey (30) is prone to variation as can be seen in the pix. In fact in the flesh the green colour of the 72 is even more insipid than in the pix.

This 3172 is nothing out of the ordinary, but it's the barrel imprint, around the barrel - below the cap threads - that I've not seen before, so am in need of an explanation if someone has the answer please - we all know what the word means, but how does this link to the pen? Since the pen dates to c. 1950, then there's a good chance the now petrified sac is original, and left the factory with the rest of the pen, and the gilding has remained v.g. too.

thanks for looking.

post-125342-0-87556800-1539267570_thumb.jpg

post-125342-0-51280300-1539267582_thumb.jpg

post-125342-0-94119500-1539267594_thumb.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PaulS

• SchaumburgSwan

• chunya

• Cob

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:D that makes two of us. The imprint is neat and obviously not a home made job, I don't think - it occupies a similar barrel location to some of the older leverless CALIGRAPH imprinted pens.

Had it been from the 60s it might have been to celebrate the Royal Philatelic Society's centenary .... so also stumped.

Maybe the chap's name was Phil Atelic ... but when they ordered the gilding they couldn't afford to pay for the spacing :) (Reference to Hut 33)

A stab in the dark

I have come across birth certificates and the like that have included a postage stamp that has been signed across. Also postal orders could have their value increased with the addition of marked postage stamps.

I imagine that such formal documents would require the ink to be of registrars quality... henc a marking that would make it easy to identify the contents.

May be barking up the wrong tree here

thanks - I too can remember the time when postal orders might carry a postage stamp, and this required an official signature or date, and likewise a similar situation on birth certificates, though it's difficult to see - on the face of it - quite what is particularly special about this nib, which has some little flex and is probably classed as a 'fine'.

But - I've now run this question past Steve Hull, and he's informed me he has an ad. - for the 3172 - which from memory explains that the pen carried a nib that was specially for philatelists - a word which tends to imply 'collectors' perhaps, rather than officials who lick stamps for postal orders or birth certificates. But must wait and see and mustn't be tempted into speculation.

Steve is digging out more information hopefully, and with permission I'll post his full comments in the next day or so when I hear more.

Have to say in my ignorance that I wasn't aware of a 'Registrar's ink' - but then what do I know.

Steve Hull now very kindly provided additional info. on this 'PHILATELIC' Swan, which looks to have been a model that started out c. August 1951, and the Mabie Todd ad. of this date runs …………………

""You have more stamp collecting customers than you think! Here is a service you can give the Philatelists who come into your shop.

Draw attention to the No. 31 Swan pen with a philatelic nib. This nib is very fine, with a rounded tip especially designed for writing on thin and delicate paper. It glides smoothly over the surface without fear of damage.

NO. 31 SWAN PEN 30/7 - including tax""

This pre-decimal price of thirty shillings and seven pence is better explained when written as £1 - 10 - 7d. …… one pound ten shillings and seven pence - apparently something like an increase of twenty per cent over and above similar 32 models of that period. At this time standard 31 models were £1 - 5 - 8d. (one pound five shillings and eight old pence), so quite a hike for the word PHILATELIC.

The assumption, from reading the ad, is that the fine nib was quite possibly intended for writing on the margins of pages in stamp albums - to indicate watermarks etc. rather than any connection with Registrar's or folk of that ilk. (not a mis-spelling for ink) :D

Steve has been unable to find a similarly imprinted pen in his collection, so for the time being this example is unique. My personal thoughts are that it may have been that philatelists were unimpressed with both the cost of the pen and perceived necessity of this 31 model over and above other less expensive pens that might perform equally well - so sales may well have been very low - accounting the their scarcity now.

My sincere thanks to Steve Hull for spending time researching this particular pen, and all of the above information comes courtesy of his efforts - not mine.

I can't imagine anyone who will not be vastly impressed with Steve's magnum opus on the M.T./Swan brand planned for publication next year - there's no doubt it is going to be the one volume we cannot afford to be without when it's launched at next years WES exhibition (Holiday Inn - Bloomsbury) - start saving now.

I think I have seen a few over the years and still have a black one (3160). The nib on that one does not say Philatelic either like yours but does look like it fits the description, very fine and rounded tip.

A stab in the dark

I have come across birth certificates and the like that have included a postage stamp that has been signed across. Also postal orders could have their value increased with the addition of marked postage stamps.

I imagine that such formal documents would require the ink to be of registrars quality... henc a marking that would make it easy to identify the contents.

May be barking up the wrong tree here

Signing across the king/ queens head on a stamp was the equivalent making a sworn statement. It was also used on contracts

We've had this pastel green (plain, light green) up recently - at a quick glance it's too close to the greys for comfort, and no doubt a few folk have confused the two, especially since plain grey (30) is prone to variation as can be seen in the pix. In fact in the flesh the green colour of the 72 is even more insipid than in the pix.

This 3172 is nothing out of the ordinary, but it's the barrel imprint, around the barrel - below the cap threads - that I've not seen before, so am in need of an explanation if someone has the answer please - we all know what the word means, but how does this link to the pen? Since the pen dates to c. 1950, then there's a good chance the now petrified sac is original, and left the factory with the rest of the pen, and the gilding has remained v.g. too.

thanks for looking.

Hi Paul,

could You please show us some photos of the nib?

It would be very interesting...

Best reguards and gratulations

Jens

.....................................................................................................

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

Hi - I do have some pix on the nib to add, but the server keeps dropping me out and they don't up-load, so will try later. :)

eureka - I think it's going to work this time:-)

couple of pix now attached, and appears to be an unremarkable nib - looks to be of similar appearance to a standard Swan No. 1 in fine. Whether the tip is any more rounded than other 'fine' nibs is questionable, and I've compared it to others that might be considered a similar gauge and not sure there's any difference. Shame that M.T. didn't provide a nib imprint for these Philatelic pens in the same way they marked the Calligraph nibs with a large stylized C encircling the breather hole.

post-125342-0-61618400-1539618654_thumb.jpg

post-125342-0-11217700-1539618671_thumb.jpg

eureka - I think it's going to work this time:-)

couple of pix now attached, and appears to be an unremarkable nib - looks to be of similar appearance to a standard Swan No. 1 in fine. Whether the tip is any more rounded than other 'fine' nibs is questionable, and I've compared it to others that might be considered a similar gauge and not sure there's any difference. Shame that M.T. didn't provide a nib imprint for these Philatelic pens in the same way they marked the Calligraph nibs with a large stylized C encircling the breather hole.

Hi Paul,

many thanks for the photos, the nib looks different to the no. 1 F nib I have.

I wonder if this/yours is the "needle point posting nib" MT offered...

Haven't seen one before, just own a regular no. 2 posting nib (somewhere between F and M without line variation, very narrow "sweet spot").

Swan nibs are such a wide field to discover. :-)

Best wishes

Jens

Edited by SchaumburgSwan

.....................................................................................................

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

thanks - have to say in truth I'm probably the least qualified to comment with accuracy on the various gauges of M.T. nibs - unlike many modern points and in common with many pens from that era, they didn't carry a letter imprint as to what they were supposed to be. I just thought this one looked like a 'fine'

If I get the time in the coming day or so I'll photograph some of my more narrow tips - of M.T. nibs - and post pix for comparison, and see if that helps. :)

• 4 months later...

I have here another Philatelic on a 3140. The nib tipping is nice and round, its a smooth fine writer, with a hint of spring to it. I rather like it, though I don't have any stamp margins to give it a run for its money. Any suggestions of a paper to test its Philatelic traits?

“The Worldly Hope men set their Hearts upon Turns Ashes - or it prospers; and anon, Like Snow upon the Desert's dusty Face Lighting a little Hour or two--is gone.”