Lamy Dialogue 3 Reloading/nib

michaelgloch

Just got a new Lamy Dialogue 3 while on vacation. Beautiful pen. Solid and writes very well. Except for me the nib extends upside down compared to all the others i've seen, with the clip facing down when you're writing with the pen. Has anyone else run into this and I have a defective pen? Or am i just an idiot who doesn't know how to properly reload a fountain pen? Any advice would be appreciated on this one.

post-145771-0-13727700-1539211017_thumb.jpgpost-145771-0-24522700-1539211384_thumb.jpg

Edited by michaelgloch

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1nkulus

• michaelgloch

• RMN

• Calabria

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Silly question. Is the nib unit fully screwed in? If not then it sounds like the internals are the wrong way round and you should give Lamy a shout.

Did you get it in a store? Was it that way when you bought it?

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Silly question. Is the nib unit fully screwed in? If not then it sounds like the internals are the wrong way round and you should give Lamy a shout.

Yeah, it's definitely screwed in all the way. Checked that repeatedly.

Did you get it in a store? Was it that way when you bought it?

Picked it up in Dublin. Worked fine in-store. The only thing that changed was they put a different refill in with a finer nib on it before they boxed it up and packed it for me. I'll be swinging by in the next couple days so I can ask them, but I thought it might be something simple I'm not doing.

A "refill" wouldn't change the nib... It would just be a cartridge or converter pressed into the back of the moving section.

This sounds more like they dismantled the moving parts and the replacement is not in the correct alignment.

Definitely not right. You should return it. That's unless you're pretty handy with pen repair. You can pull out the feed and nib and realign the entire unit.

The only thing that changed was they put a ..... finer nib on it.

So, they put it in 180° out. Tell them to fix it.

X

Can you show us the "refill" they changed?

Please take a picture of it and post here.

Probably you are using the wrong term, hence "refill" in quotes..

The word refill is usually used for a cartridge or a converter

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Take the pen back. The pen they took the nib out of is screwed up too.

I talked with "Lamy Bob" (Bob Nurin) who was the service/repair guy for Filofax before Lamy changed distributors about these pens a number of years ago.

The nibs units are not interchangeable with other pens. The nib and feed are aligned for that specific pen body, then staked in place. You can't just take one nib assembly out and stick it in another pen. You can take the nib off of the feed (they slide off), and swap them that way, but the part that has the feed and screws into the front end has to stay with that particular pen, or go back to Lamy for service if it has to be replaced.

When you try swapping the whole nib unit like you would for a Pilot VP, you end up with problems like you see with your pen.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Yup as RonZ said

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I talked with "Lamy Bob" (Bob Nurin) who was the service/repair guy for Filofax before Lamy changed distributors about these pens a number of years ago.

“Lamy Bob” is still the official service/repair person for Lamy pens in the USA. He has posted his contact information elsewhere in this forum.

Update: You can find a link to Bob Nurin's contact info in the first pinned thread of the forum, "Interesting L A M Y Links".

Edited by ErrantSmudge

The Dialog3 nib units are individually tuned/set to each pen.

Sending it to Lamy is the only option.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Since it is a new pen, and the dealer made the swap, I would think that going back to the dealer would be something to try first.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Since it is a new pen, and the dealer made the swap, I would think that going back to the dealer would be something to try first.

+1

Seems like the store swapped the entire nib unit instead of just the nib and then boxed it for the OP.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

@ Michael Gloch - I am not sure if this will work for you, it did for me.

Unscrew the entire pen. Set every piece apart. Once this is done;

1) Take the Nib Section with Cartridge / Converter inserted and simultaneously take the Cap Section too. (If its a Gen 2 your Converter Section should carry 2 See Through Slits. Continue looking further from those slits towards the threads you'll notice 2 small circles engraved in the body itself

2) Hopefully your Nib is aligned with this section wherein the Nibs Face is above these 2 Circles.

3) The Cap Section also has 2 slits which will perfectly align with these 2 circles.

4) Insert the Nib Section through this alignment and your Nib should perfectly align with the Cap & Clip of the Pen.

I was directed to follow this procedure by Lamy Customer Care India. Hope this works.

@ Michael Gloch - I am not sure if this will work for you, it did for me.

Unscrew the entire pen. Set every piece apart. Once this is done;

1) Take the Nib Section with Cartridge / Converter inserted and simultaneously take the Cap Section too. (If its a Gen 2 your Converter Section should carry 2 See Through Slits. Continue looking further from those slits towards the threads you'll notice 2 small circles engraved in the body itself

2) Hopefully your Nib is aligned with this section wherein the Nibs Face is above these 2 Circles.

3) The Cap Section also has 2 slits which will perfectly align with these 2 circles.

4) Insert the Nib Section through this alignment and your Nib should perfectly align with the Cap & Clip of the Pen.

I was directed to follow this procedure by Lamy Customer Care India. Hope this works.

Unless you really can't get access to the seller AND LAMY for Northern America, I would NOT try to dabble with this yourself. You may void your warranty.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Unless you really can't get access to the seller AND LAMY for Northern America, I would NOT try to dabble with this yourself. You may void your warranty.

D.ick

I highly doubt it. It will definitely not void the warranty.

He needs to simply align it.

Worked for me.

I highly doubt it. It will definitely not void the warranty.

He needs to simply align it.

+1

Definitely no harm in trying.

Lamy CS is stellar when it comes to warranty repair/issues, should that be the only option.

Engineer :