Has This Nib Been Repaired?

DasKaltblut

I picked up a gold filled Eversharp off of Ebay and was wondering about the nib. This is my first Wahl so I'm not sure what they are supposed to look like. At the end of the nib, the angle of the metal changes planes every so slightly, like it was bent and straightened. The bottom curve of the nib doesn't show this so I'm not sure if it supposed to be like that. I'm a little afraid to write with it due to possible metal fatigue if the nib has been repaired. What do you guys think? The seller said nothing about a repair.

fpn_1538926336__wahl_top.jpg

fpn_1538926130__wahl_angle.jpg

fpn_1538926206__wahl_side.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PaulS

• DasKaltblut

• FarmBoy

• mariom

It appears o.k. on the screen, but if you're worried I'd suggest you do ask the seller to confirm whether the nib has been restored in any way - welded or otherwise, and the answer should solve your dilemma - sitting and looking at the nib - and not writing - will tell you nothing.

In the course of their lives, nibs don't always remain perfect, but that doesn't mean that this will affect their writing abilities, and some nibs are known for their individual characteristics. Side on, the shape looks to be o.k., and it's a fact that many ebay sellers state that photos form part or all of the description of the pen, so it's up to buyers to look carefully or to ask questions if unsure.

It appears o.k. on the screen, but if you're worried I'd suggest you do ask the seller to confirm whether the nib has been restored in any way - welded or otherwise, and the answer should solve your dilemma - sitting and looking at the nib - and not writing - will tell you nothing.

In the course of their lives, nibs don't always remain perfect, but that doesn't mean that this will affect their writing abilities, and some nibs are known for their individual characteristics. Side on, the shape looks to be o.k., and it's a fact that many ebay sellers state that photos form part or all of the description of the pen, so it's up to buyers to look carefully or to ask questions if unsure.

Well the seller didn't state that photos are a description and didn't have such detailed photos of the nib so there was literally no way to see this until I got it in person. I'm curious what nibs look like for other people with this pen

Edited by DasKaltblut

I agree than some ebay pix are less than useful - often out of focus. There's no reason for you not to expect an honest reply from the seller, regarding the integrity of the nib, if you now feel it necessary to ask, and assume the original description made no mention of any issues with the nib. The tipping material looks adequate - is the nib a firm or with some degree of flex?

Gold is a remarkably resilient material, so I wouldn't worry about metal fatigue. The first two pics show what appears to be a slight kink, but that could just be reflections. In the third, the nib looks perfectly normal. You could ask the seller, but as we're looking at an 80 year old pen, it's unlikely he'd know for sure unless he'd performed a repair.

It looks to me like you have an interesting stub nib. If it writes well, enjoy!

=====================================
Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

=====================================

I agree - use something like a X10 loupe and spend some time looking at the nib - if you can't find any hint of a problem, then fill and enjoy writing :) .

Edited by PaulS

I'm a bit confused about your advice. The pictures were taken through a 10x loupe...and the hint of a problem is shown - it isn't a reflection, there is a slight change of plane in the nib.

I agree - use something like a X10 loupe and spend some time looking at the nib - if you can't find any hint of a problem, then fill and enjoy writing :) .

Edited by DasKaltblut

no confusion intended, I assure you :) My suggestion of a 'hint of a problem' that might be found by the use of a loupe, was directed along the lines of finding real evidence of the sort of damage that would affect the performance and/or shorten the life of the nib i.e. cracks, splits, obvious metal fatigue caused by mechanically re-straightening of the nib - none of which is apparent in your pix.

Your nib may not be one hundred per cent identical to how it left the factory many years ago, but if you're happy with how it writes, then that's what counts - and this you will not know until you 'put pen and ink to paper'. Fill the pen - write some lines - and show us the result, please :)

How does it write?

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.