The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

"bril" Ink From India ($3.3 For 1 Liter, Yes).

bril ink india cheapest dyebased

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MarkHanks

MarkHanks

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:41

Thought of creating a thread for Bril ink from India.

Perhaps the cheapest ink in the world at $0.3 for 60ml bottle; $3.2 for 1L.

Yes.

Official Website: http://www.brilindia.com/search/ink

I would rate 7/10 in almost all categories and a 10/10 in value,

if I were to give 8/10 to Pelikan Edelstein series.

Dye-based. Free flow. Just a little feathering on cheap paper.

Detailed review soon. 

A few pics of my beloved bottle below.

One writing sample using Montblanc 144 Jungle Eyes, M.

Canon 5D Mark-II.

Canon 28-135mm.

Attached Images

• Ink Bottle-1.jpg
  • Ink Bottle-2.jpg
  • Ink Bottle-3.jpg
  • Pen Hunger copy.jpg

Edited by MarkHanks, 10 October 2018 - 09:58.

Sponsored Content

#2 gillum51

gillum51

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:39

i have always wanted to try this brand of ink.  too bad there isn't an easy way to get it outside of India.

#3 tamiya

tamiya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:17

i have always wanted to try this brand of ink.  too bad there isn't an easy way to get it outside of India.

same :( after paying typical postage it ain't cheap anymore

Certain places ink is so cheap... have been to places where Pelikan 4001 costs less than a Coke... Tbh is price really that crucial? how much ink can one (well "me") use anyway these days.

#4 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,618 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2018 - 01:46

It's very easy to get from india.

Just email Bril. You can get one 60mL of every color they make (and a second bottle of one color) for under $30 shipped from india. $14 per 4 bottles. Yes, relatively expensive compared to inside India, but still super cheap out here in the US.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#5 Aquaria

Aquaria

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2018 - 13:07

It's available on eBay right now for 9.86 a bottle +3.75 shipping to the US, for a total of $13.61.

The available colors are pink, blue and red.

https://www.ebay.com...&LH_TitleDesc=0

#6 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 5,618 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2018 - 10:18

no. no. no. no. no.

JUST. EMAIL. BRIL.

They'll sell you four bottles for 14 bucks, shipped. And you get seven colors to choose from.

And don't get the pink. It's too pale to read.

Edited by Honeybadgers, 21 October 2018 - 10:19.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#7 Aquaria

Aquaria

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2018 - 19:08

no. no. no. no. no.

JUST. EMAIL. BRIL.

They'll sell you four bottles for 14 bucks, shipped. And you get seven colors to choose from.

And don't get the pink. It's too pale to read.

For some people, buying through ebay is the better option. Not everyone gets great deals going through the main company.

#8 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 5,618 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2018 - 06:15

Why wouldn't they? I didn't get a "deal" , just a quote for shipping, how many bottles could fit in a box, and a price conversion.

#9 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,947 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2018 - 20:39

interesting, thank you.

The review of the royal blue is here

http://www.fountainp...ril-royal-blue/

Has anyone tried their purple?

here are some examples of writing for the different colours

http://althaven.com/...eview-bril-inks

the reviewer mentions a peculiar smell in some of the inks, anyone tried? (phenol?) thanks

#10 Corona688

Corona688

Inkfingered Crackpot

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2018 - 22:46

Very interesting. You can get full bottles for what samples would be anywhere else. Being in Asia they have access to the chemical suppliers, I suppose, not just the re-re-re-re-re-exported and marked up things we have anywhere else.

#11 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 5,618 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2018 - 23:29

interesting, thank you.

The review of the royal blue is here

http://www.fountainp...ril-royal-blue/

Has anyone tried their purple?

here are some examples of writing for the different colours

http://althaven.com/...eview-bril-inks

the reviewer mentions a peculiar smell in some of the inks, anyone tried? (phenol?) thanks

Some of the inks have a strong, strong smell of those throat numbing sprays. I think it's phenols. The only one that was almost caustic in odor was Bril Red.

Purple is fine. it's a good color, medium saturation, medium shading.

#12 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,947 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2018 - 23:57

thanks I might give it a go

#13 arellano81366

arellano81366

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 October 2019 - 16:26

It's very easy to get from india.

Just email Bril. You can get one 60mL of every color they make (and a second bottle of one color) for under $30 shipped from india. $14 per 4 bottles. Yes, relatively expensive compared to inside India, but still super cheap out here in the US.

Hi, I am reading your post today. Thanks for this, I sent him an email today, let's see if they still can ship to USA. I will keep you posted. 

Javier

#14 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 5,618 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2019 - 02:53

Hi, I am reading your post today. Thanks for this, I sent him an email today, let's see if they still can ship to USA. I will keep you posted. 

Let us know, they got back to me in a reasonable timeframe and seemed to know exactly what was needed. Buying directly from them was zero hassle.

I still think the inks are a good deal. Just avoid red (unless you like the smell of throat analgesic spray) and pink (too illegible unless you want to do art with it)

#15 Strombomboli

Strombomboli

I can't write with ballpoint pens

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 August 2020 - 20:57

Buying directly from them was zero hassle.

I sent them a mail two days ago and received a compehensive answer the next day.

One bottle of ink costs 3 $ outside the country. I had added fountain pens and the charity stationery kit to get to 500 IRN which is the minimum amount they ask for on their website which is for orders from inside India. 500 IRN is 6.76 $. I had three fountain pens for 40 IRN each in my cart and two for 20 IRN each and three of the stationery kits for children in need for 99 IRN. These items together should cost 60 $. They said ground post from India to Germany would be 50 $. In the end, the bill was 116 $.

I think it's okay to ask 3 $ for a bottle of ink that costs 0.34 $ inside India, but it's not okay to ask 50 $ for shipment and to extravagantly raise not only the price of the fountain pens but also of the charity items. I thought they really don't want any hassle with customers from overseas and therefore declined to buy from them.

Should I ever get to India, I'll not only stock up on ebonite pens, but also on Bril ink, but I won't buy from them from home, nor will I pay in US dollars.

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

#16 langere

langere

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,702 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 August 2020 - 22:19

Well, right now India Post is not shipping overseas, so they must need to send via courier, a more expensive proposition.  Once India Post gets going again, shipping might be a lot less expensive.

Erick

Staedtler Corium Urbes Buenos Aires "F" nib running Sailor Jentle Ink Black

Benu Supreme "F" nib running J. Herbin 1670 Hematite Red

Lorelei 667 "F" nib running Pelikan Brilliant Brown

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bril, ink, india, cheapest, dyebased

Sponsored Content

|