Kaco Edge - Brushed Makrolon

taike

I have exactly the same problem , it's a real shame I'm waiting for Kaco to resolve this problem to buy another one .

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• taike

• Honeybadgers

• penzel_washinkton

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With sadness, I noticed that the cap of my M-nibbed Kaco Edge was cracked today, all the way up. I went to check my EF (which I use less often, despite being drawn to finer nibs) and it was cracked in the exact same manner. These pens are like the Jinhao 992, in that they seem destined to self-destruct.

I've popped the M nib into a Jinhao 51a acrylic / open-nibbed pen. Unfortunately, these pens are not without their own faults, including drying out. (I don't know if the finial screw corrodes, they all seem fine on mine, though.) It's an even lovelier writer than before, but it just doesn't have the same comfort in the hand.

Based on the above comments and experiences I will be holding off or cancelling my plans to buy several - one for me and two for gifts to newbies!

Shared information is very much appreciated!

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

While my Kaco has only sat on a desk, not carried about, dropped or abused, it developed two cracks, a small chunk split off from the edge and finally separated from the inner cap.

I sent fresh pictures to info@kaco.cc. They replied within a day this time and sent me two replacement caps for free - DHL Express from China to Chicago in 2 days. Nice customer service.

I asked if they had fixed the manufacturing problem and they replied:

Checked with our QC department, the process of making the cap includes metal baking varnish, which makes the cap easy to crack. We will improve this process in later production.

However, the new cap I sent to you still using the old craft and it may crack again. Please do not pull the cap hard and avoid using it in an overheated or cold environment.

While my Kaco has only sat on a desk, not carried about, dropped or abused, it developed two cracks, a small chunk split off from the edge and finally separated from the inner cap.

I sent fresh pictures to info@kaco.cc. They replied within a day this time and sent me two replacement caps for free - DHL Express from China to Chicago in 2 days. Nice customer service.

I asked if they had fixed the manufacturing problem and they replied:

Thanks! That's certainly a hopeful sign. First report I've seen on Kaco customer service working to make things right.

Thanks! That's certainly a hopeful sign. First report I've seen on Kaco customer service working to make things right.

Yeah, that's actually quite astounding for a Chinese company! I love how they gave an explanation for the cause. I wonder when the "later production" will be.

I just pulled out my medium-nibbed one which has come across with the globe me and it's also developing cracks in the cap. I can't complain though because it's a cheap way to get Schmidt nib units!

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Yeah, that's actually quite astounding for a Chinese company! I love how they gave an explanation for the cause. I wonder when the "later production" will be.

I just pulled out my medium-nibbed one which has come across with the globe me and it's also developing cracks in the cap. I can't complain though because it's a cheap way to get Schmidt nib units!

Right. I have several cracked units but am reluctant to complain. Maybe that's my issue. But I'm hopeful that they may be establishing systems to face the market!

• 2 weeks later...

I've sent the mail and get the new batch's 2 caps that will not crack ! Really a great customer service for a 10 bucks pen !

Wow, really?? Was shipping for the caps free? Did they require any receipt or proof of purchase?

• 3 weeks later...

I've sent the mail and get the new batch's 2 caps that will not crack ! Really a great customer service for a 10 bucks pen !

Wow, really?? Was shipping for the caps free? Did they require any receipt or proof of purchase?

Bumping this - I've emailed them but haven't heard back yet. Did they require anything additional from you?

Here is the message I received from the CC of Kaco:

Due to the process of making the cap includes metal baking varnish, which makes the cap easy to crack.
The improved cap without the metal baking varnish, its color is slight difference from the previous one."
The color of the new one is charcoal rather than black.
They've offered to send two replacement caps. Will update once I receive the caps.

• 2 weeks later...

Received the two replacement caps and they do feel sturdier than the original version though of a different shade (grey). They Fedexed the caps to me free of cost. Awesome customer service.

Received the two replacement caps and they do feel sturdier than the original version though of a different shade (grey). They Fedexed the caps to me free of cost. Awesome customer service.

This is great news! Where did you contact them?

with my 2 cracked caps, I emailed Kaco customer services at info@kaco.cc along with pictures of the caps. After an exchange of emails, 2 replacements were being DHL’d to me within 24 hours. This was back in March. One of the replacements has since cracked. :-(

with my 2 cracked caps, I emailed Kaco customer services at info@kaco.cc along with pictures of the caps. After an exchange of emails, 2 replacements were being DHL’d to me within 24 hours. This was back in March. One of the replacements has since cracked. :-(

Thanks for the information. I can't believe the replacement cracked though! Maybe the newer grey replacements are better. ::fingers crossed::

Checked on mine, one is still cracked (it has grown a hair) and one is still perfect.

And the third one that's still NIB is not cracked. All three were "original" models.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

A lady by the name of Sally at info@kaco.cc...the newer ones haven't cracked as yet...definitely looks weird with the different charcoal shade...tuned my pen into a desk driver rather than EDC. But I'm checking to see how long these last.

Edited by Callinewbie