Kaco Edge - Brushed Makrolon

taike

Any #5 nib should be fine.

Sorry to hear about the disaster! There are plenty of Chinese nibs that should fit. A #5 is pretty much a #26 in Chinese nomenclature and a lot of those generic Chinese loose nibs offered on eBay should fit, just make sure they aren't too thick. For example, the two-tone nib used in the Jinhao 500, 163, 165 is thinner and would probably fit the Schmidt feed better than the thicker nib used for the Jinhao 599, 991, 992.

I'd send you a few, but you know how horrendous the shipping rates are from my neck of the week. :crybaby:

You might also want to keep working on the nib you messed up to see if you can fit it. After all, it couldn't hurt!

Thanks for the input , good to know a standard #5 can fit in the Edge.

Ah yes, very generous offer but would not want to give you anymore headaches.

I will see if I could get my hands on the thinner #5 nibs and report here if there is any updates.

I am also looking forward to playing with the stock nib I grind down just for experimentation, no use crying over spilled milk right?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• taike

• Honeybadgers

• penzel_washinkton

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any #5 nib should be fine.

Bock #5's come in different lengths and widths and I expect some wouldn't fit. Bock #5 also cost about the price of the pen or more ;)

I just effed up my Edge, used a micro mesh with the intention to smooth out the nib (I felt that mine is on the scratchy side rather than feedbacky).

It turns out due to my stupidity and limited experience, the pen won't even do a right / left stroke properly now. Skipping or downright even won't lay ink to paper.

Anyone know what types of nib is compatible to the Schmidt nibs? Having a hard time finding a compatible Schmidt nib on eBay.

The least priced ones are listed at 15-20 dollars, at that point might as well buy the Edge again (which has got a price decrease recently)

I had a similar issue with my Moonman M100. The right tine had a very small catch, and it was driving me crazy sounding like a very loud pencil. By the time I got rid of the sound, my F nib was now an unimpressive (but at least smooth) M. So I've also been looking for Schmidt size 5 replacements.

Ironically, my best bet is an Edge, since it's an extra fine which I'd prefer anyway, I can swap the whole unit across, and $10 or so ain't bad.

Other options I've looked at:

• As mentioned, the Bock 180 nib is the right size 5 nib from them. It'll cost me around £11 shipped here in the UK.
  • A Jowo from Spain is about €9 after tax, but then another €7 in shipping. But it's expertly adjusted before shipping.
  • Jinhao "F" nibs from China are around $0.75 on eBay, or around $0.40 each on AliExpress if I buy 4 or 5 of them.
  • Jinhao calligraphy stubs in 0.7mm, 1.1mm, and up to 2.9mm are available for less than $0.25 on AliExpress.

But in the end, I'm not going to do any of those. I've got a couple of PenBBS 322 "Marshmallow" pens coming in my 456 order. They only cost £5 if I'm already paying for something, anyway. I haven't ordered one before now because I've got plenty of G78 clones, but I reckon £5 is a pretty fair price to pay just for the nib from all the nice things I've heard about it lately. I'm a little surprised I haven't seen anybody try to swap it out, yet. It LOOKS like a standard size 5 rather than a Pilot 5, but I won't really know until it comes.

try to floss the nib first. every time you "smooth" a nib you create residue that always builds up between the tines. just get a sheet of paper in between the tines and slide it across.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Thanks for all the inputs, I've tried flossing it to no avail unfortunately.

There was a seller with a Jinhao EF nib listing and this morning I successfully installed the nib on the Edge, will inform how it goes once I inked it up

Just wanted to do a quick update. The Jinhao EF nib fits just well (if not a little tight) to the Kaco Edge section.

Surprisingly, I like writing with the Jinhao nib and just inked it with Krishna Jungle Volcano.

• 1 month later...

Surprise. An M nib option for the Edge is up on the Kaco taobao site. It's also cheaper for the 1212 sale.

The inventory number says they have over 300 in stock.

Don't know if other channels have the model.

Wow! I was so sure this would never happen that I never even bothered to check on the Edge after I got mine.

Hats off to Kaco for offering an inexpensive but good pen with a German medium nib!! These are so cheap, they'd be worth getting just for the nib unit if you didn't like the pen.

Penbbs is supposed to start offering medium nibs again as well, so perhaps the Chinese pen market is heading in a favorable direction for those of us who like broader nibs.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Here you are.

attachicon.gif KACO IMAG0381.jpg

Only two options. Ask the vendor if he'll send you a replacement cap. Bobby on Ebay did so when I had the same issue. Apparently the "Makralon" used in these pens is not the same quality as a Lamy. The other option is to try a plastic weld with Plastruc Plastic Weld or Tenax-7r. I applied it to the length of the crack (sparingly) from the inside and applied a dental band to secure it for 72 hours. It's holding well so far although the seam is visible under magnification. The main stress is sustained by the metal tube inside the cap. Not too unpleasant and better than tossing the pen in the drawer.

Only two options. Ask the vendor if he'll send you a replacement cap. Bobby on Ebay did so when I had the same issue. Apparently the "Makralon" used in these pens is not the same quality as a Lamy. The other option is to try a plastic weld with Plastruc Plastic Weld or Tenax-7r. I applied it to the length of the crack (sparingly) from the inside and applied a dental band to secure it for 72 hours. It's holding well so far although the seam is visible under magnification. The main stress is sustained by the metal tube inside the cap. Not too unpleasant and better than tossing the pen in the drawer.

Thank you. I will try this.

Kaco_Edge_EF_vs_M_nibs.jpg

M nib Edge arrived today (after a good deal of hassle with shipping because the included ink. Hats off to the Kaco customer support folks for working this through the system for me.)

Definitely welcome news for this pen. It writes very well. Does Kaco offer M nibs for other pens? I couldn't find any.

M nib Edge arrived today (after a good deal of hassle with shipping because the included ink. Hats off to the Kaco customer support folks for working this through the system for me.)

Definitely welcome news for this pen. It writes very well. Does Kaco offer M nibs for other pens? I couldn't find any.

Sounds great! Maybe if sales are good enough, Kaco will start offering M nibs on their other pens. One huge advantage the Edge has over the Sky and its variants is that you can unscrew the nib unit to swap nibs. I so wish the Sky could do that, because it's a really decent "beater" pen.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

• 3 weeks later...

Here you are.

attachicon.gif KACO IMAG0381.jpg

This has happened to me twice! Bobby was amazing as always and sent me a discounted replacement (50% off) on the first, but I'm done with Kaco for the time being. My Sky II has the finish all chipping away from the cap, as well.

I got a Kaco Retro that was labeled as EF, but it is more like a broad. It is butter smooth and juicy out of the box. I'm not quite sure why they call it extra fine. I have an Edge on the way, I'm excited to try it out.