Kaco Edge - Brushed Makrolon

taike

Yes I can confirm and yes it is a Schmidt nib as others have mentioned

Ah, yes it is mentioned in the review and I missed that detail on the first read-through. Thank you for the confirmation.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• taike

• Honeybadgers

• penzel_washinkton

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just got an idea: What about the Edge in different colors? Please do it Kaco!

Would be a good reason for me to justify buying more then one :)

• 2 weeks later...

[*]The Edge uses a snap cap with a clutch ring like the Lamy. Closing the Edge is not as positive as the Lamy. It takes more force, but you do eventually get a snap when the cap seats.

Thanks for the tip about needing some force to get a snap. It really does take a push, but once I realized I wasn't going to crack the cap by pushing more, I was able to get that reassuring little click to know that the cap is secure.

I've also been noticing the rust particles collecting on the section due to some port quality metal used in the cap clutch. It's a bit of an annoyance but is easily wiped off.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

[snip]

I've also been noticing the rust particles collecting on the section due to some port quality metal used in the cap clutch. It's a bit of an annoyance but is easily wiped off.

Yes. I was thinking this this might go away over time. But maybe not.

Sometimes there's still a little powdery residue on the section from the springs in the cap. So far I haven't seen any lasting effects.

Never seen this on my Lamy 2000.

Starting to experience these powder residue, definitely comes from the inner cap rather than the aluminum section.

I just got mine today with an EF nib and HOLY. (bleep). I just bought four more. I'll report back if mine is a fluke of perfection or if this might be the best new pen on the market.

the snap isn't quite as satisfying as a lamy 2000 but it's not cheap, just a little different. it's there. You push a little harder. I quite like it, you can actually treat it like a slip cap when you want to just set it down for a moment, as it slips on deeply but doesn't snap until you give it a little push. makes uncapping it for notes quick and when it's on in slip-cap mode, it's very secure (I can shake the hell out of it and it won't move, wiggle or dislodge.)

The clip isn't as bad as people say. yes, I'd prefer a tiny upswing on the tip to help it slide over a piece of clothing, but it's easy to use as a "pinch" style clip. just pinch it in the middle and it slides up nicely.

Fit and finish is out of this freaking world for the price. it genuinely feels EXACTLY like the makrolon of the L2K. I would have made the section and barrel a more smooth shape to emulate the lamy 2000, but it's a design choice, not a quality one, and it impacts the way the pen feels in no way.

NOTHING wobbles. NOTHING squeaks.

it does become a tad back heavy posted, but it posts deeply and securely so it doesn't become too long. Again, very reminiscent of the lamy 2000, though the 2000 is better looking posted, since this is a tapered pen. It's more than long enough unposted for everyone.

As far as I can see, the section is aluminum, but the finish makes it hard to tell, it's just a bit cooler to the touch and sounds different running my fingernails across it.

The nib and feed are attractive and not the standard chinese fare. The nib is absolutely perfect. very true EF (finer than western EF, think pilot F) wet, and with perfect feedback, it's an EF nib, but it's as smooth as you could ever ask an EF nib to be. No skips. no hard starts. reverse is perfect, smooth, wet, japanese EF.

This thing could have LAMY stamped on the clip and nib and cost $50 and I'd recommend it to everyone. TEN BUCKS?! buy this pen. right the hell now.

It's a lamy 2000 for someone who can't afford a lamy 2000. This thing feels like it has no compromises in quality.

My only gripe is teeny tiny, It came with two long international cartridges, I'd have preferred a cartridge and a converter. But if you buy yours from Bobby on eBay, he charges about a dollar more and throws in a converter.

I'll do a video writing review of this one this weekend. In the meantime, I inked it with nemosine moon crater black and I'm going to use the (bleep) out of it, and give the 4 more I just bought away as gifts.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I just got mine today with an EF nib and HOLY. (bleep). I just bought four more. I'll report back if mine is a fluke of perfection or if this might be the best new pen on the market.

Hahaha Honeybadgers, I always love your reviews and comments!

Your experiences are identical to mine. After your comment about the clip I gave it a second chance. I guess it does technically function as a pinching style clip.

the more I use it the more I don't love the clip from a technical standpoint. I played with it and while it does fit my uniform breast pocket well, a seatbelt presses down on it and it's a little uncomfortable. I also think that if your fingers are wet, it doesn't pinch very easily. If your fingers are wet, try pressing down on the back of the clip to engage the hinge. not comfortable to do, but it works. But I'm nothing if not creative when it comes to pen clips.

I think what I'm going to try with this pen is to slide a piece of 160 grit sandpaper under the clip right about in the middle and see if I can sand an arch into the clip's middle just high enough for me to get a fingernail under it easily. if I can sand a millimeter out from the middle it'll create a perfect notch to lever the clip up and over clothing, and I'll be very happy. If I screw it up, I have four more on the way.

After a day of taking notes with it I can't sing the nib's praises enough. it's perfect. the line width, the wetness, it's smooth yet tactile, everything about it is right up my alley. It's so comfortable and the section is so nicely balanced, the metal (aluminum) section gives it a little bit of that nose-heavy feel of the lamy 2000 or faber castell loom. I think it is kind of a hybrid child between the loom and the 2000.

I just noticed that you guys were starting to see rust in the cap. How long did it take before that started? I'll keep an eye out for it.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I think what I'm going to try with this pen is to slide a piece of 160 grit sandpaper under the clip right about in the middle and see if I can sand an arch into the clip's middle just high enough for me to get a fingernail under it easily. if I can sand a millimeter out from the middle it'll create a perfect notch to lever the clip up and over clothing, and I'll be very happy. If I screw it up, I have four more on the way.

Great idea. I really wish there was just some kind of notch on the inside of the clip so that it didn't just pinch but actually held onto whatever goes in it.

The rust started showing up on my section within a week and that was with it mostly stored empty in a pen case.

I'll keep an eye on it, thanks for the info. Are you sure it isn't just scratching the aluminum ?

I'll also report back on how easy or difficult the surgery to give a notch for the clip was.

I'll keep an eye on it, thanks for the info. Are you sure it isn't just scratching the aluminum ?

It might be a reaction from some metal in the inner cap touching the aluminum, but once the brown dust is wipes off there aren't any scratches in the section.

I don't know about others' experiences, but for me it only seems to happen when I leave the pen alone for several days, filled or not. I've been using it at least once a day this week and there hasn't been any rust when I uncap it.

The clip is surely a matter of form over function, hopefully you can get your operation to work on the clip.

It happens to me when I fidget with the pen, opening and closing the cap in short delay.

On normal use, I get minimal to none of this dust problems

So I took some 220 grit (lowest I had that wasn't 40 or 80) and put a layer of painter's tape all around the cap, then used another piece of tape folded over a few times to make a wedge to hold the clip open, sanded it for about 3-5 minutes right at furthest part back of the clip. Sanded down about a millimeter thick sliver along about 3/4 of the clip in the shape of an arch. You can barely tell it's there, but now my fingernail has something to catch under and the clip works perfectly.

I also think it'd be worthwhile to sand the tip of the clip into a little more upswept edge so it just slides over a piece of clothing.

I held the cap in a hobby vise to hold it secure while I sanded, but any vice or clamp would work fine. Super easy, took five minutes, and solved the problem completely.

So I took some 220 grit (lowest I had that wasn't 40 or 80) and put a layer of painter's tape all around the cap, then used another piece of tape folded over a few times to make a wedge to hold the clip open, sanded it for about 3-5 minutes right at furthest part back of the clip. Sanded down about a millimeter thick sliver along about 3/4 of the clip in the shape of an arch. You can barely tell it's there, but now my fingernail has something to catch under and the clip works perfectly.

I also think it'd be worthwhile to sand the tip of the clip into a little more upswept edge so it just slides over a piece of clothing.

I held the cap in a hobby vise to hold it secure while I sanded, but any vice or clamp would work fine. Super easy, took five minutes, and solved the problem completely.

I'd love to see a picture. Sounds like you may have designed the Edge v2.0

I just effed up my Edge, used a micro mesh with the intention to smooth out the nib (I felt that mine is on the scratchy side rather than feedbacky).

It turns out due to my stupidity and limited experience, the pen won't even do a right / left stroke properly now. Skipping or downright even won't lay ink to paper.

Anyone know what types of nib is compatible to the Schmidt nibs? Having a hard time finding a compatible Schmidt nib on eBay.

The least priced ones are listed at 15-20 dollars, at that point might as well buy the Edge again (which has got a price decrease recently)

Edited by penzel_washinkton

Interesting looking pen, may have to investigate further.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I just effed up my Edge, used a micro mesh with the intention to smooth out the nib (I felt that mine is on the scratchy side rather than feedbacky).

It turns out due to my stupidity and limited experience, the pen won't even do a right / left stroke properly now. Skipping or downright even won't lay ink to paper.

Anyone know what types of nib is compatible to the Schmidt nibs? Having a hard time finding a compatible Schmidt nib on eBay.

The least priced ones are listed at 15-20 dollars, at that point might as well buy the Edge again (which has got a price decrease recently)

Sorry to hear about the disaster! There are plenty of Chinese nibs that should fit. A #5 is pretty much a #26 in Chinese nomenclature and a lot of those generic Chinese loose nibs offered on eBay should fit, just make sure they aren't too thick. For example, the two-tone nib used in the Jinhao 500, 163, 165 is thinner and would probably fit the Schmidt feed better than the thicker nib used for the Jinhao 599, 991, 992.

I'd send you a few, but you know how horrendous the shipping rates are from my neck of the week. :crybaby:

You might also want to keep working on the nib you messed up to see if you can fit it. After all, it couldn't hurt!

Edited by TruthPil