Pen Show, Tell, Display - Nakaya

stan

Tomorrow is Nakaya Day.

I own one Nakaya. A Piccolo purchased at the Chicago Pen Show more than ten years ago. Nakaya had the Piccolo model on sale. Could not pass up the offer.

Nakaya customized the nibs at the show. My writing style flustered and challenged Mr. Yoshida, their nib meister, who went through two nibs to get me the perfect writing instrument. He said he worked on it all night and could very well have done so. It is one of the pens with which I shall not part.

Bring them on. Let's see them beauties.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• whichwatch

• Lloyd

• GardenWeasel

• jar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is an Akatamenuri Portable Writer.

http://www.fototime.com/F90828C484A85B8/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/CFBF2AFEE334A6B/medium800.jpg

My Website

I sort of have a thing for Nakayas. What I have to show in a picture varies from day to day, since it seems like I am always buying more before selling some to fund still others that I want more. But I can stop any time I want. Or so I tell my wife.

These are the Nakayas that I consider part of my collection of keepers (whatever "keeper" means).

http://www.fototime.com/%7B4EBE9FBF-D00A-423D-AA16-2320B1A6746F%7D/origpict/n1.png

Left to right, these are:

Naka-ai Aka Tamenuri

Naka-ai 21st Anniversary in Olive Tamenuri (section is covered with gold flecks!)

Naka-ai Ao Tamenuri (discontinued finish)

Naka-ai Shiro Tamenuri (discontinued finish)

Neo Standard Ishime Kanshitsu Aka Tamenuri

The next two pictures show pens that I love but are, or may be, headed for new homes via my table at the Ohio Pen Show. These are today's pictures. No question some will be sold before then, and others may have taken their place.

http://www.fototime.com/%7B53A999F5-D217-4E3C-AA06-E2503FBD20F0%7D/origpict/n2.png

http://www.fototime.com/%7B185FF75D-EFD3-428A-A44E-7E1556364261%7D/origpict/n3.png

Top photo, left to right:

Piccolo in solid Titanium

Neo Standard Kikyo

Neo Standard Heki Tamenuri with Kanji

Naka-ai Aka Tamenuri

Naka-ai Sumiko

Lower photo, left to right

Decapod Twist Aka Tamenuri

Decapod Twist Kuro Tamenuri

Decapod Aka Tamenuri

Long Piccolo Chingin Housoge (rare shape and finish)

Long Piccolo Kuro Tamenuri (rare shape)

Dorsal Fin I Heki Tamenuri

My two (soon to be three this Tuesday!), are a little camera shy. They say my pictures dont do them justice. Of course they are right.

post-14468-0-30652400-1538940377_thumb.jpeg

post-14468-0-36397500-1538940396_thumb.jpeg

Edited by GardenWeasel

Tomorrow is Nakaya Day.

I own one Nakaya. A Piccolo purchased at the Chicago Pen Show more than ten years ago. Nakaya had the Piccolo model on sale. Could not pass up the offer.

Nakaya customized the nibs at the show. My writing style flustered and challenged Mr. Yoshida, their nib meister, who went through two nibs to get me the perfect writing instrument. He said he worked on it all night and could very well have done so. It is one of the pens with which I shall not part.

Bring them on. Let's see them beauties.

Were is the picture of yours?

My only Nakaya, made just for me... It came out exactly as I wanted, writing withe the lightest touch, without pressure, working perfectly. Took 8 months...

fpn_1539006212__nakayas1.jpg

That thread rolled pen is gorgeous!

Thank you! I parted with a regular heki naka-ai and my first nakaya, an aka tamenuri, to get the string roll. It's so interesting!

My pen is smaller than yours. Now get off my lawn.

Ooops, left out this one. It's currently one of my daily users - a briar wood with the Maruzen owl as a rollstop. EF nib. It's not an exaggeration to say that the owl is 95% of why I purchased this. Originally it was part of the 2017 Maruzen pen fair set. (Pics of the full set here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/316539-maruzen-fountain-pens-of-the-world-fair-2017-goodies/) The more I use it, the more I enjoy it - particularly after I got it tuned two weeks ago at the Nagasawa Kobe Nakaya event! It used to be quite a dry writer, which I generally do not enjoy in EF nibs, and now it flows much better.

post-131664-0-15071100-1539023021_thumb.jpg

Were is the picture of yours?

fpn_1539057594__dsc01188.jpg

fpn_1539057618__dsc01190.jpg

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

Whichwatch: I really admire your naka-ai ao tamenuri. Great looking pen!

Thanks! Here it is in a family photo with two Ao siblings - a Portable on left and a Long in center. The Long was sold a while back, but the Portable may be on my table at the Ohio Show.

http://www.fototime.com/%7BB3F823A5-19E7-4003-A0D0-10887932C047%7D/origpict/A02.JPG

Here are most of mine. Neo-Standard Shinobu Blue, Piccolo Chinkin Palmet Kikyo Colored Powders, Dorsal Fin 2 Kuro-tameuri, Neo-Standard Bamboo Woods, Naka-ai Blue Dragon.

post-42005-0-59209400-1539150068_thumb.jpeg

Here are most of mine. Neo-Standard Shinobu Blue, Piccolo Chinkin Palmet Kikyo Colored Powders, Dorsal Fin 2 Kuro-tameuri, Neo-Standard Bamboo Woods, Naka-ai Blue Dragon.

That shinobu is lovely!

That shinobu is lovely!

Thanks, I really like it. I originally had an extra fine on it, but exchanged the nib to a soft medium that I really like. I’ll probably get another soft medium or a soft fine on my next Nakaya.