Rotring600user

Bobby now selling the M100 for $33.98 USD, Item 232959200398. I got the brown version. Reading that some think this is too much for a Chinese pen. What are the thoughts on the Estie which is made in China and considerably more than the M100. When they import nibs from Germany and I believe the celluloid nitrate is also imported, maybe Taiwan, the price will be more than typical. I have a LIY which is also in the high range, $50, and like it a lot. As much as my Edison & F-C's.

Thanks for that. At that price from Bobby, I think I'm going to cave and get it, and just hope the PenBBS 456 doesn't drop until next month. Now I just have to decide between the brown, and the blue/red.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• DasKaltblut

• Mech-for-i

• JollyCynic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for that. At that price from Bobby, I think I'm going to cave and get it, and just hope the PenBBS 456 doesn't drop until next month. Now I just have to decide between the brown, and the blue/red.

I have resisted the urge to buy the 469, I think my wallet is ready for the 456.

I have resisted the urge to buy the 469, I think my wallet is ready for the 456.

+1!

(I just hope they aren't all stupid demonstrators again!)

Edited by TruthPil

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

So has anyone has this pen? I really like the blue with brown pattern and I am seriously considering pulling my trigger on one of these beauties and my question would it be big problems putting jowo 5 stub nib into it?

If you win over your own stupidity then are you winner or loser? In any case it means something good.

So has anyone has this pen? I really like the blue with brown pattern and I am seriously considering pulling my trigger on one of these beauties and my question would it be big problems putting jowo 5 stub nib into it?

I ordred that one a few days ago...but it will take a few more to arrive.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I got mine a few days ago (photos) and inked it up today. Absolutely beautiful pen, though a bit slimmer than I had expected. Cap posts, but not securely, perhaps as expected. Very light, especially when not posted. Schmidt nib writes predictably well. Almost like a Japanese fine. I might swap in a more interesting Delike bent EF instead.

Japan pen show recaps and more on fudefan.com | photos on Instagram (@fudefan)

Hi, I got mine a few days ago (photos) and inked it up today. Absolutely beautiful pen, though a bit slimmer than I had expected. Cap posts, but not securely, perhaps as expected. Very light, especially when not posted. Schmidt nib writes predictably well. Almost like a Japanese fine. I might swap in a more interesting Delike bent EF instead.

Outstanding photos, as always. I switched to a dark rose while I was ordering the pen, and each new photo I see of it in the wild makes me glad that I did. (Also, I do hope that's a 1911 L next to it in the later images, as that's an ideal size, even if the no.5 nib looks silly-short on it.)

Man, I feel like I ordered it so long ago I've forgotten to be excited for it. Now I'm excited all over again. Cheers!

Outstanding photos, as always. I switched to a dark rose while I was ordering the pen, and each new photo I see of it in the wild makes me glad that I did. (Also, I do hope that's a 1911 L next to it in the later images, as that's an ideal size, even if the no.5 nib looks silly-short on it.)

Man, I feel like I ordered it so long ago I've forgotten to be excited for it. Now I'm excited all over again. Cheers!

Thanks! Yes, the Sailor next to it is a 1911L (or Profit 21, as we call it here). I agree that the #5 nib looks a bit small!

Chrisrap52 just posted his Youtube video review of this pen.

It's a very nice pen overall and I have just finished my second fill in it. That clip with the bandless design is really attractive. I also wish they just use the #6 sized Chinese nibs and sell it cheaper. $30 is already very good price for what it is but it can get better.

I don't know what is the latest obsession with Schmidt nibs in Chinese pens lately? I think it started off with the LIY and then recently , a plethora of new Chinese pens comes out with Schmidt nibs.

I don't know what is the latest obsession with Schmidt nibs in Chinese pens lately? I think it started off with the LIY and then recently , a plethora of new Chinese pens comes out with Schmidt nibs.

It didn't start with the LIY. I think it started with the $10 Kaco pen (Sky or something?) with a Schmidt nib in it. It's a $10 pen with a comfortable size, Schmidt nib and a Schmidt converter. It even comes with a very nice plastic pencil box, which Muji is probably going to sell for $15 alone.

That's pretty much like marketing breaker of how expensive are German nibs. Nowadays, people are comparing everything with that $10 Kaco: If you are selling your pen at $20, you'd better give us a better design AND at very least the same nib AND the converter.

Even though I don't find Schmidt nibs that much better than Chinese nibs, I like the converter a lot.

It didn't start with the LIY. I think it started with the $10 Kaco pen (Sky or something?) with a Schmidt nib in it. It's a $10 pen with a comfortable size, Schmidt nib and a Schmidt converter. It even comes with a very nice plastic pencil box, which Muji is probably going to sell for $15 alone.

That's pretty much like marketing breaker of how expensive are German nibs. Nowadays, people are comparing everything with that $10 Kaco: If you are selling your pen at $20, you'd better give us a better design AND at very least the same nib AND the converter.

Even though I don't find Schmidt nibs that much better than Chinese nibs, I like the converter a lot.

Having lived in China for the past few years, I'd say woleizihan is spot on.

For me the advantage of having the Schmidt nib is that it is more suited to Western taste and usually has less feedback than a Chinese nib. The biggest advantage for writers of Western scripts is that Schmidt nib can usually be unscrewed and replaced with something broader quite easily.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Schmidt nib unit in a Chinese pen had long been around , like for decades , its just seldom to be on their own branded product in the past. And as Woleizihan had stated, its not better a nib than say their own ... so it really do not made much business sense until now when more customer demand such ( different grind ). Ultimately I can see Moonman, PenBBS, and down the road might be others adopting different grind but to a certain extent, might be only M and B. After all, Stub, BB, OB etc ... does not actually work well writing the Chinese Language and these pens are still very much sold ( in volume term ) more to the Chinese consumer than the rest of the world. And the usage of calligraphy nib is not an uncommon skill among Chinese fountain pen users / hobbyist.

The various hooded nib calligraphy pen pretty much demonstrate ... a skilled user of those different type of calligraphy nib can easily use it as M, B, all the way to XBBB

Having tried a Schmidt nib on the Kaco Edge, I would have to agree that it is not better than those nibs from PenBBS or even hooded WS nibs.

That is what I expected regarding the Schmidt nib being around for a long time in a Chinese pen, but it's just intriguing that many recent pen releases from China have got a Schmidt nib in them.

I just put a spare Opus 88/Jowo nib in the Moonman M100, and I like it even more, a really beautiful pen (I bought the Quicksand Blue one).

(I also put a #2 vintage Waterman nib in the Moonman S1, and it works well !)

Edited by Louvesecrete

I did something

I just put a spare Opus 88/Jowo nib in the Moonman M100, and I like it even more, a really beautiful pen (I bought the Quicksand Blue one).

(I also put a #2 vintage Waterman nib in the Moonman S1, and it works well !)

I swapped nibs on mine too, but put a Delike bent EF on it instead (photo). Really nice writer now!

Mine finally came last night. My first impressions are that I like it, but I like the PenBBS 308 more. The nib I have in the M100 is smoother than the average nib I have on PenBBS pens, but not as smooth as the smoothest. I suspect the nibs may be more consistent. I like the Schmidt converter (would have preferred a K5) and that it takes standard international cartridges. And while it's as pretty as PenBBS pens, the darker colours make it feel more professional. So it has some clear advantages.

The no.5 nib looks silly, makes the pen a centimetre shorter than the 308, makes the section significantly slimmer, leading to a noticeable and annoying step-down (and I never notice step-downs), and the metal cartridge collar means it can't be eyedroppered. Also, there are some marks near the clip insert that make me nervous to actually use the clip. The nib is also very noisy, like writing with a pencil. Nobody else has mentioned it, so it may just be mine. I'll spend some time trying to get it wetter later. Somebody else mentioned that the cap cross-threads easily, which I can corroborate.

As I said, I like it, but I won't be getting a second. If they'd made the decision to go with a no.6 nib (which would have meant a wider section), and gone with machining the cartridge collar into the acrylic, it'd be another story entirely.

I received the black/brown Moonman 100 today. The fit and finish is excellent, just as good as Edison Pens if not better. Acrylic is excellent as well, I know some people say its celluloid but Im not sure. Schmidt nib was pretty average, a bit dry but after I made it wetter it is quite nice. If you want a pen that is as well made as Franklin Christoph or Edison and you dont mind stock Schmidt nib instead of JoWo than its worth a try. The price is a steal.

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

I think the Mfr say Celluloid Acetate, which is different over traditional Celluloid, which is Celluloid Nitrate; while tactile feel is different, considering its far more stable and much less dangerous, the trade off in modern celluloid is well found