The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Kaweco Sport Nibs: Vintage Models As An Alternative?

kaweco sport nib vintage

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kalikrates

Kalikrates

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2018 - 14:16

I have a problem with Kaweco Sport: I love their design (both in terms of looks and functionality - size, weight, robustness, etc.) but I hate their nibs. I bought one whose nib was just unusable, then I got a replacement nib and it works fine - but still, its feel is just not very good.

I have looked at some posts about the possibility of finding compatible nibs from different brands ( http://www.fountainp...lternative-nib/ ) but there doesn't seem to be any option that one can just plug in as if it were a Kaweco nib, without being somewhat versed in DIY. I'm not good at DIY at all, and it's not something I want to devote time to. 

Then I found out that the Kaweco Sport is a very old design, and that Kaweco used to be a different company - so I assume the nibs in vintage models are different. And I suppose they are better, because honestly, I don't think I have tried worse nibs than the current Kaweco ones (even €5 Chinese pens seem to be better in this respect). So I am hatching the plan to buy a vintage model, to see if I can obtain the design I like with a better nib.

My question is: am I right in assuming that vintage Kawecos have better nibs, without the problems of the current models? And, since I have observed that they get more expensive the oldest they are, what time period should I aim at to get a decent nib? When exactly did they change from their previous nibs to their current, unreliable ones?

Sponsored Content

#2 alexander_k

alexander_k

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 14:24

I have a couple of Kaweco V15 piston fillers from the 1960s, both with excellent nibs. In all respects they're superior to the current Sport. It's probable that you'll find replacement nibs for your Sport but switching to a vintage Kaweco altogether is probably worth considering, too. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kaweco, sport, nib, vintage

Sponsored Content

|