Old Style M400 Screw Vs Friction Nib

Jip

It does write nice indeed, a bit different for me... It writes with line variation depending on the angle I think? When I write addresses with it on a envelope it almost seems italic/cursive.

If only it was a screw nib! :(

While I'm terrible at selling anything FP-related, one thing to do is to sell the pen that isn't making you happy in order to buy one that will. While I have near zero budget for pens at the moment, I'd love to buy this exact pen because of the broad nib that looks to write really well, and also because of the unusual nib (no threads).

If you want to swap the nib out, the no-threads style nib unit does appear from time to time in the vintage market. Here's one in Fine that will fit your pen *, offered on martiniauctions.com for about $100 with shipping:

https://www.martiniauctions.com/item/id/_Pelikan_400_spare_part_nib_M_size_early_80ties_version_rare__32550.html

* Looking closely at the listing, the link says M, while the seller's description and the nib photo say F.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jip

• Bo Bo Olson

• Kalessin

• dnic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If one has a later '90-97 pen one can tell there is a bit more spring in an '82-90 400 nib. It is nowhere really near a '50-65 semi-flex.

A very nice passed Lady poster here, told me when I was interested in getting one of those W.Germany 400's, that I'd not care for it, in I was spoiled with my semi-flex 140 and 400nn. She was right, later I got a W.Germany 200, '85-90, and hoped the slightly springer nib would give the OM a bit of line variation. It didn't.

I did like the W. Germany 800's springy nib, but then the 800 was much too big a pen for me.....and I'd been spoiled with semi-flex.

So I suggest getting a '50-65 semi-flex nib. And not fiddle around.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 2 weeks later...

While I'm terrible at selling anything FP-related, one thing to do is to sell the pen that isn't making you happy in order to buy one that will. While I have near zero budget for pens at the moment, I'd love to buy this exact pen because of the broad nib that looks to write really well, and also because of the unusual nib (no threads).

If you want to swap the nib out, the no-threads style nib unit does appear from time to time in the vintage market. Here's one in Fine that will fit your pen *, offered on martiniauctions.com for about $100 with shipping:

https://www.martiniauctions.com/item/id/_Pelikan_400_spare_part_nib_M_size_early_80ties_version_rare__32550.html

* Looking closely at the listing, the link says M, while the seller's description and the nib photo say F.

I just contacted the seller and purchased the F nib. Will see how it goes.

If the nib writes great Ill keep the pen, otherwise Id still happily trade it for a brand new M400, since I dont have any value in having a collectors item. Where others have.

😁

Latest addition:  Montblanc LeGrand 146 Calligraphy Flexible Nib

So for now I have decided to keep the pen and order that F nib someone advised me to get.

The B nib however is great for writing on enveloppes.

Here's a quick pic of it sporting the very smooth B nib.

44619543335_a783248967_o.jpg

Now the F nib arrived from the auction Kalessin pointed out to me. 66 euro including shipment.

43731437370_bb71111c22_k.jpg

Edited by Jip

What ink were you using with the B....nice color, good shading.

Paper?

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

What ink were you using with the B....nice color, good shading.

Paper?

Oxford Optic college block (I use that for all my day to day note taking etc.)

With Pelikan M400 B nib and Visconti Blue. It REALLY is that blue! It's my favourite blue.

Edited by Jip

How is it with the Fine nib installed?

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

How is it with the Fine nib installed?

Writes nice, very smooth... It's a fine nib, but it writes like a M200 M nib, or modern M400 EF nib. It gives however more line variation than the M200 M or modern M400 EF nib because it's more springy. It is however VERY wet, and I think I have to use the dry Pelikan 4001 inks with it, the Visconti Blue is too wet/lubricated for this nib.

Excellent!

Now I need to find a friction-fit pen for my own collection... :)