Old Style M400 Screw Vs Friction Nib

Jip

Is there any way to know if a Pelikan M400 old style has a friction nib or screw nib, without trying to remove the nib?

I saw a good priced second hand old style Green Stresemann M400 with a unicolour B nib, the nib itself has the horizontal lines at the bottom instead of the even older style vertical lines.

The cap has the logo on the top in the colour of the body (green).

Thanks in advance guys!

Latest addition:  Montblanc LeGrand 146 Calligraphy Flexible Nib

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jip

• Bo Bo Olson

• Kalessin

• dnic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you sure that the pen is a M400 (1980s)?

"Old style" usually refers to the early 1980s Pelikan M400 pens but the feed with longitudinal lamellae is from a 1950s Pelikan 400.

So you may be looking at a 1980s Pelikan Souverän M400 with 1950s nib-feed unit or the pen is simply a1950s Pelikan 400.

Only the earliest 1950s models had a friction fit unit, all others (400, 400N and 400NN) have 'screw-in' units. I think that all 1980s Pelikan M400 (aka "old style") had a screw-in nib-feed unit.

The M400 from 1982 were produced with friction fit nib unit, too. So the same happend as with the 400 from the 1950th. It changed after a short time of production to the screw in nib unit.

There is no other indication visible from outside.

Dominic

http://www.pelikan-collectibles.com/en/Pelikan/Models/Souveraen-Series/M400-Basis/index.html

I’ll go and pick it up on Monday and see then, I hope it’s a screw in, but otherwise I can always sell it on again. It has a B nib, but I prefer F and M nibs.

would exchange one with screw nib to friction fit...

I'll take a look and let you know on Monday! And post some pictures here!

The M400 will have the Christmas tree nib with the branches not reaching the slit.

The M400 will have the nib size stamped in italic writing.

First year M400's with the friction fit nib still have the more colourful barrel, whereas later models will have the more clear cut lines.

If it has the old feed with lengthwise fins, then it's probably a 400 from 1955. They changed to the Christmas tree nib around 1955, and even an earlier pen might have had a broken nib replaced back in the day.

If it is an M400 with a friction fit nib and you would prefer an M, then I might be up for an exchange.

Jip, you didn't say if you prefered the narrower than marked Japanese nibs or the wider European nibs. (Aurora is the narrowest Euro nib @ near as wide as Sailor, the fat Japanese nib.

Pelikan, Simi-vintage '82-97 or vintage pens '50-65 are @ 1/2 of a width narrower than modern....so it could well be your B would be a fat M in modern day measurements.

A dry ink like Pelikan 4001, the ink the nib and feed were designed for will make it narrower.

As will good to better paper.

If you normally use a wet or wetter ink, any Pelikan will be wide....in it is designed a tad wider than others to bring a dry ink to the middle.

Back when Waterman was considered a wet ink, Waterman's narrower nib was that way to tame a wet ink.

Now there are many Noodler users that consider Waterman a dry ink.

There are Shading Noodler inks, so some must be fairly dry......but many are as it's fans say, Noodlers is an ink so wet, Waterman is considered dry.

I don't know anything about Japanese inks. Do use a dry one for a Pelikan.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Hey guys thanks so much for the replies, I got some pictures from the seller, I'm gonna pick it up tomorrow. Here are the pictures:

post-145556-0-71230300-1538941807_thumb.png

post-145556-0-78479600-1538941828_thumb.png

Definitely an M400. You can see the modern feed on the first picture. Also probably an early model, as per the look of the barrel. It looks in great shape.

Yes it looks in great condition! If only it had a M nib on it. I do have a modern M400 F nib which I could put on it if it has the twist nibs and not the friction nibs.

Based on the pictures you can tell the pen has no scratches, beside just have gone a bit 'matte/dull' over the years. How would I give it a shine? As if it were new again?!

Thanks guys I've been learning so much!

Edited by Jip

So I picked up the M400, it is after all a Friction Nib see picture attached... This makes it difficult for me since I want to use it as a writer and would like to be able to purchase an easy tip replacement: read screw fit.

post-145556-0-20622300-1539001812_thumb.jpg

I would like to trade it for a M400.

Brand new also okay, or NOS, new style or old style doesn't matter much to me.

I'd like it to have a Fine nib. (Sort of like the M200 Medium nib).

And one of the following colours:

Stresemann Green M400

Stresemann Anthracite M405

Schwarz/Black M400

If someone just wants to purchase it thats also okay. Do me an offer.

Edited by Jip

Hi Jip,

PN me, if you're intersted.

Dominic

PM Sent

I'm very jealous of your pen! It looks brand new. I would offer to exchange just the nib for a friction fit feed medium, but I gather that you want to have the possibility of exchanging nibs with other Pelikans.

Yes I prefer to have screw threads only, that just makes it easier for me I guess.

I'd love to trade it for a modern M400 with F nib.

M400 Grün Gestreift (Stresemann)

M400 Schwarz

M400 Schildpad Braun Gestreift (Stresemann)

M405 Anthracite Gestreift (Stresemann)

Or if you'd want to buy it, I can purchase a new M400 for 250 Swiss Francs locally which would suit me too. (260 USD, or 225 euro)

post-145556-0-43321100-1539022275_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jip

From looking at the writing sample, that's a very nice broad nib on that pen.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

I didn't see the feed at all....so can't say if it's 50-60's...in I really don't know where the chevrons go to on those nibs; or later. There are a lot of folks here that know.

In spite of having lots of '50-60's Pelikans.

If it is a 50-65 semi-flex of a '82-97 regular flex, it will be 1/2 narrower. than modern...with in slop/tolerance than modern; which has the same tolerance/slot as do all pens. Vintage or semi-vintage will write with a clean line.

Modern nibs are fatter and blobbier and don't have IMO as clean a line as even the American Bump Under** regular-flex much less the of course cleaner line of a '50-65 normal stubb nib.

** The American and for all I know the English and the Americans have always had a bump under the nib except on factory stubs, like my BB nail factory stub '38 Canadian nib on a '39 Vac, or a Australian made Snorkel BB maxi-semi-flex. (Both English or Commonwealth Parker and Sheaffer had to compete with a good line of flexes of the Swan pen's in the '50's. I didn't chase Swan har enough to know how many of their..or what ratio they had from regular flex to the then called 'flexi' by those on the com; in superflex was not so defined as now, nib; which I suspect was Easy Full Flex.

I ran into a nice Degussa Easy Full flex on a 'no name' solid German pen, so then stopped chasing more expensive Sean 'flexi' nibbed pen.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

From looking at the writing sample, that's a very nice broad nib on that pen.

It does write nice indeed, a bit different for me... It writes with line variation depending on the angle I think? When I write addresses with it on a envelope it almost seems italic/cursive.

If only it was a screw nib! :(

I have a early 400NN, that the nib slides out like it was friction fit. Christof a man with much knowledge, says no, I have a collar problem.

Well I'm not going to yank it to see if he's right or not....it works just fine.

And re-setting a nib can be real fiddling work, if there is any flex to it....to get it or keep it working perfectly.

I had bought that 400nn, in a live auction just for the nib, was going to put that 'semi-flex' OF in my '90-96 M-400 tortoise (they didn't make a tortoise in '97, before they went over to semi-nail in '98.)

I couldn't. Which in the end was good so. I was able after only two years to decide the 400nn, had better balance than a 400.

So I learned to live with the fact, my 400nn, wasn't going to do any nib swapping. Fine I had many other pens that don't swap nibs, my 400nn then became just another of them.

It's a long story, but I had a Rupp nib :notworthy1: on another type of screw in pen, that made me discover there was the maxi-semi-flex set. The 400nn had that flex. As does my Ibis and 500.

In the 3 X tine spread set is the regular flex, the semi-flex and the maxi-semi-flex sets. Those are not superflex, so don't go spreading the tines more than 3X a light down stroke.

If you mash a regular flex nib (120/200) to 3X, semi-flex takes half that pressure to get to 3X. Maxi half of that or 1/4th the pressure to mash a regular flex to 3X.

I have some 28 semi-flex and .... :rolleyes: 16 maxi-semi-flex nibs, in various manufacture's pens of the era. One MB a medium-long '50-60's 146, a Geha EF, and some Osmia pens. (Also have some 16 Oblique pens in a mix of semi&maxi from that era also....) IMO unless a left hander or left eye dominant, don't waste your money on any oblique nibs that are not '5065 for Pelikan, @ '70 for other German makers..........they don't give but a hair of line variation vs the real thing....in those '50-60 nibs are stubs.

Only Osmia is marked to which of those sets are which, the Osmia and Diamond = semi-flex, the nibs marked Supra = maxi-semi-flex.

It appears to me outside the Osmia pens, the chances of getting a maxi-semi-flex is @ 1 in 5 with luck.