The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Would You Rather Buy A Lamy Cp1 Pt Or A Pelikan M600?

lamy pelikan m600 cp1 pt

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 LightYagami

LightYagami

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze+

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2018 - 21:19

Which one would you go for?

Sponsored Content

#2 Calabria

Calabria

Pelikano

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2018 - 22:32

Pelikan M600. I like the cp1 but what's the point of getting the expensive version? The matte black is beautiful at a much better price.

The Pelikan M600 is a fantastic pen, comfortable size, great piston filler, and with a bit of luck a good nib to boot.
"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."
– Lin Yu-T'ang

#3 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,105 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2018 - 00:46

Pelikan for me!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#4 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,911 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2018 - 01:20

Strange comparison. a 40 euro to a 400 euro pen.....

D.ick

~

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

#5 DasKaltblut

DasKaltblut

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 01:29

I have both, so my answer is...both. They are such different pens there's really no comparing them.

#6 carlos.q

carlos.q

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2018 - 01:56

Pelikan M600 without a doubt.

#7 LightYagami

LightYagami

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze+

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2018 - 02:03

Strange comparison. a 40 euro to a 400 euro pen.....

D.ick

It's not strange at all. I asked about the one in Platinum finish and not one in black. Note I wrote Pt after the CP1.

#8 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,911 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:21

It's not strange at all. I asked about the one in Platinum finish and not one in black. Note I wrote Pt after the CP1.

Still a 40 euro pen (with an expensive coat) against a 400 euro pen (in it's work coat)

And I don't care very much for bling bling... I also am not interested whichever colour Lamy is going to do for the Safari this year...

Nothing against the Lamy pen, but a completely different beast.

Also nothing against people who do care for all the different LEs and specials etc. Just a matter of taste.

Enjoy whichever you choose.

D.ick

~

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

#9 1nkulus

1nkulus

Thought2Papier via Ink2Pen

• Member - Gold

• 809 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:26

They are such different pens there's really no comparing them.

+1

#10 ErrantSmudge

ErrantSmudge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,004 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2018 - 15:29

Given that the cost of the CP1 is a rounding error compared to the Pelikan, why not buy both.

#11 pseudo88

pseudo88

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,219 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 17:29

At least at US prices, new, the CP1 platinum is about half the price $100 less... I'd still choose the Pelikan m605 (not m600), but in all truth I'd never pay that much for a fountain pen, no matter how awesome; since the CP1 is at my price limit... I would probably hunt something more exotic like a Diplomat Excellence A2, a Pilot 912, a Sailor 1911 large, a Lamy Studio Palladium or... A Pelikan m405.

Still, of you like the design who are we to tell you otherwise? :)

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

#12 aderoy

aderoy

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2018 - 21:17

One pen is slim and the other has some girth... 

I have the Black CP1 and Blue Pelikan 600, would go with the CP1 since the pricing increases from Pelikan in the last few years. The PT version of CP1 nib is a softer non nail with a bit of attitude.

Being able to get the CP1 for the cost of a Pelikan 600 nib is also a bonus.

#13 ryanboyd

ryanboyd

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 October 2018 - 19:25

As an owner of both, I agree with most folks above that it is difficult to compare--both are very different pens.

If money is no object, then the M600 all the way. If you're looking for workhorse daily writer, then there might be something to be said for the cp 1 as it is not only affordable (easy to replace if you lose it), but also quite reliable.

A lot of it comes down to your preferences around filling mechanisms and capacity. With the cp 1, you're confined to Lamy's proprietary cartridges and converters, whereas with Pelikan's piston filler, simply (and generously) load up with your favorite ink and write away.

Which way are you leaning so far?

#14 Robert Alan

Robert Alan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2018 - 14:00

Hello!

The two, most-important differences between these two models is that the Pelikan has a dedicated piston-filler, and the pen's diameter is considerably wider than that of the CP1.  The Lamy CP1 is a cartridge/converter pen and its diameter is close to that of a standard, round wooden pencil.

Bottled ink converters can, at times, be a problem because of poor manufacturing tolerances of the converters.  I have never had a problem with the Pelikan piston-filler, including taking M600 pens in jet aircraft (no leaks).

The M600 is serviceable: the nib unit can be removed/changed; the ink reservoir can be easily cleaned and lubricated.

The 14K gold nib of the CP1pt can be easily changed.  Lamy proprietary cartridges in several colors are available and Monteverde also manufactures Lamy-style cartridges.

Although I have used, collected, and enjoyed using Lamy writing instruments for decades, I would choose the Pelikan M600 model over the Lamy CP1.

However, I must say, a fairer comparison would be between the standard Lamy 2000 and the Pelikan M600.  Although the M600, with its various color choices, may be considered, by some, to be a prettier pen, just considering price, the L2K may be the better choice. The Lamy 2000 fountain pen can be dismantled and re-assembled without tools for cleaning and service, and it is an elegant, Bauhaus-inspired design.  Like the M600, I have never had a problem with the piston unit of the L2K.

Regards, Robert

No matter where you go, there you are.

#15 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,939 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2018 - 08:41

just get the cheaper CP-1. the black finish is really nice.

And the M600 all day, every day. That is a spectacular pen. The lamy is more of a daily beater pocket pen. The m600 is more of a boardroom executive affair.

#16 ryanboyd

ryanboyd

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2018 - 14:28

Which one would you go for?

So, you've received a lot of advice here. What's your take?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lamy, pelikan, m600, cp1, pt

Sponsored Content

|