The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Help With Pen Parts Problem

pen section feed parts

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 beurling

beurling

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2018 - 00:46

I have an old 20's era eclipse large fountain pen. It is in BHR. Unfortunately the section is broken where the sack attaches.

Also the feed is destroyed. I have the original nib so wonder if i can find a feed to fit. This all relies on me being able to fix the section. If not and i provide measurements would it be possible to find a similair section. It seems a shame ty write off an otherwise good condition vintage pen
Mk1 Parker Duofold Centennial in Blue Marble + GT, Medium arrow nib + broad italic aces nib.Owned since new.Parker Victory Black + GT,  wet medium.Conway Stewart #388 Stub.
Mabie Todd Blackbird,semi Flex Nib.Aurora optima green auroloid Stub.Visconti voyger emerald green Broad. Waterman 92 Fine flex
www.hmshood.com The Official website of the late great HMS Hood 

Sponsored Content

#2 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,988 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 02:54

Eclipse parts are not difficult to find. I’d simply buy a section and feed.

You can replace the nipple quite easily. Bore out the section and epoxy in a replacement.

You do need a lathe to do this properly.
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#3 LukeSkyliner

LukeSkyliner

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2018 - 23:37

Farm Boy is right; I've also fixed this problem with a very short section of brass tubing tight against the inside diameter of the section, epoxied, or JBWelded, against the inside of the section, creating a new brass nipple.

Marx Finstone himself was famous for cutting corners like that!

#4 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

• Member - Gold

• 9,988 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 01:58

Farm Boy is right; I've also fixed this problem with a very short section of brass tubing tight against the inside diameter of the section, epoxied, or JBWelded, against the inside of the section, creating a new brass nipple.

Marx Finstone himself was famous for cutting corners like that!

Better to use polystyrene tube if you can't make one from hard rubber.

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#5 LukeSkyliner

LukeSkyliner

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 October 2018 - 02:09

I'm inclined to disagree, having used all three.  You are certainly entitled to you experience - I to mine.  Brass sleeves and liners have held up exceedingly well, and are nowhere nearly as prone to breakage as either BHR or polystyrene.  Carefully installed, they are hidden and seal well.  But that's just me, again, struggling against my many limitations.

#6 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

• Member - Gold

• 9,988 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 03:49

I'm inclined to disagree, having used all three.  You are certainly entitled to you experience - I to mine.  Brass sleeves and liners have held up exceedingly well, and are nowhere nearly as prone to breakage as either BHR or polystyrene.  Carefully installed, they are hidden and seal well.  But that's just me, again, struggling against my many limitations.

My issue is contact with ink.  Many inks will corrode brass.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pen section, feed, parts

Sponsored Content

|