The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Translucence In The Barrel Of M600 Vibrant Orange?

translucence ink window orange pelikan m600

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Rindy_Ruth

Rindy_Ruth

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 October 2018 - 14:19

I just saw a poster on another thread comment that they wouldn't buy another Pelikan without an ink window or some translucence in the barrel to determine ink levels.  In looking at the photos of the M600 Vibrant Orange it made me wonder if the ink (especially a dark one) would be visible through the barrel.  This will be my first Pelikan, and I am really curious.  Looking at you experienced collectors for your thoughts.

Thanks in advance

Rindy_Ruth

I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies.  - loved this, and stole it!

Sponsored Content

#2 oregano

oregano

Fairly Dipped

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 October 2018 - 15:14

My guess is it will be slightly translucent when held up to bright sunlight. That should be enough to gauge the ink level a little!

#3 Nyanzilla

Nyanzilla

=^.^=

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 October 2018 - 23:11

I've got the vibrant green M600. That is quite tranlucent. So you can see the ink as well as the piston. So I presume the orange will be of the same degree or even more translucent.

"On the internet nobody knows you're a cat." =^.^=

#4 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,576 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 23:46

The 400's and the old 140's, all have to be held up to light to see how much is in them. My 605 has an ink window. As does my pre'97 short 600.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#5 sargetalon

sargetalon

The answer to life, the universe, and everything

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2018 - 01:49

I'm expecting the material to be somewhat translucent as well, just like the M320 from many years ago in the same finish.  I don't think gauging the ink level will be overly difficult with this one.  Need to see it in person to be sure though.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count.  My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

#6 gmax

gmax

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2018 - 19:10

Fritz Schimpf has posted a real life photo here

https://www.instagra...m/fritzschimpf/

This just after I had resolved to be good and rein in my pen spending  :huh:

#7 LightYagami

LightYagami

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2018 - 21:20

Hi yah!

I just got my first Peli and can say to you it's a very nice pen! If you do end up buying the new m600 orange, enjoy!

Btw, don't worry about the ink barrel. I have a Lamy Black Amber and that one has no ink barrel whatsoever and I still love it. Just don't take your Peli out of home and you'll be fine.

Edited by LightYagami, 04 October 2018 - 21:22.

#8 OCArt

OCArt

OBB

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,708 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2018 - 05:58

Hmm.... Now I wish it was less transparent, I don't like the say the black filling knob shows through the cap when posted (photo on left.). One can only assume the black nib section would likewise show through the cap.  I wonder if the similar green M600 has the same issue?

----------------

"Pens a'plenty in 2020" Chuck Montano from The Nib Section podcast

#9 gmax

gmax

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2018 - 07:03

... I don't like the say the black filling knob shows through the cap when posted (photo on left.). One can only assume the black nib section would likewise show through the cap....

I quite like that aspect, and on the M805 vibrant blue the black section does indeed show through.

Less appealing is the way the black piston assembly of the M600 shows through. I'll wait to see more pictures, but the material looks wonderful  :)

Edited by gmax, 05 October 2018 - 07:03.

#10 chromantic

chromantic

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2018 - 13:53

If you look at pictures of the orange M320, you can clearly see the black piston. That's one reason I went with the ruby. But I bet Stipula Saffron would look great in the orange.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

#11 BaronWulfraed

BaronWulfraed

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,555 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2018 - 15:53

Hmm.... Now I wish it was less transparent, I don't like the say the black filling knob shows through the cap when posted (photo on left.). One can only assume the black nib section would likewise show through the cap.  I wonder if the similar green M600 has the same issue?

If looking closely, one can see the presence of the black through the Vibrant Green model. Even closer look allows one to see the piston as it moves through the body.

#12 Frank_70

Frank_70

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 October 2018 - 03:57

A bit bright for my tastes.

Now if they produced something like the Stone Garden in a 600 size, I’d have to break open the piggy bank.

#13 BillH

BillH

Not Old Enough...

• Member - Gold

• 1,510 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 October 2018 - 11:17

A bit bright for my tastes.

Now if they produced something like the Stone Garden in a 600 size, I’d have to break open the piggy bank.

That would be nice, but I'd rather a Tortoise in 600 first  :lol:

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working."     -Pablo Picasso

#14 Quadratus

Quadratus

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2019 - 17:04

Having just received my eagerly anticipated Vibrant Orange, I feel I can offer a contribution to this thread.  The pen is gorgeous to look at and meets all the usual high manufacturing standards one would expect from a Pelikan.

However there is a drawback.  The pen is very translucent and, when empty shines and shimmers beautifully.  I filled it with a deep burgundy ink (Kyonoto Iro "Bengarairo") and was disappointed to see the ink creating a dark smudge through the barrel.  If the body of the barrel had been slightly thicker, this would not happen.  The "solution" is to fill it with a lighter coloured pen, e.g. orange or mandarin, but I find such inks rather difficult to use for ordinary writing so, for me, it is not a solution.  It is unfortunate that the aesthetics of the pen are somewhat spoiled by this defect.  

I am still glad to have it in my collection but regret this defect in the pen's design.

Have others had the same experience?

#15 biancitwo

biancitwo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2019 - 18:21

Having just received my eagerly anticipated Vibrant Orange, I feel I can offer a contribution to this thread.  The pen is gorgeous to look at and meets all the usual high manufacturing standards one would expect from a Pelikan.

I am still glad to have it in my collection but regret this defect in the pen's design.

That is no defect. It is a characteristic you do not care for.

Edited by biancitwo, 11 February 2019 - 18:22.

#16 Barutti

Barutti

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2019 - 20:27

I agree with biancitwo.This is not an defect. The same is with all semi translucent Pelikan pens- M620 Shanghai,M200 Smoky,Amber and etcera.

I "solving" that with matching inks and like that. :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: translucence, ink window, orange, pelikan, m600

Sponsored Content

|