New Cult Pens Exclusive Iridescink By Diamine - Robert And Maureen

CrimsonBlood

Maureen, Skull and Roses, Jalur Gemilang , Fire and Ice, KWZ Walk Over Vistula, Studio Organics Nitrogen, RO Blue Sea.

What have I missed?

Call me biased if you want, but I wouldn't put Robert Oster (Fire and Ice and Blue Sea) in the same group. The rest are heavily saturated (some A LOT more than others - ex. Nitrogen). The RO inks are not and still have great sheen.

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cyber6

• Karmachanic

• migo984

• CrimsonBlood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Call me biased if you want, but I wouldn't put Robert Oster (Fire and Ice and Blue Sea) in the same group. The rest are heavily saturated (some A LOT more than others - ex. Nitrogen). The RO inks are not and still have great sheen.

C.

True. But they do colour shift/shade blue to turquoise/green as the others do.

Add lightness and simplicate.

• 2 weeks later...

It was very unfortunate that I ordered Okuyama from Japan just before these new inks were released. When I saw the pics I thought Robert was much better looking than Okuyama, but I couldn't cancel the order because it was dispatched already. Not to mention it took almost a month to arrive because Japan Post is still struggling to clear the huge backlog of mail caused by Typhoon Jebi.

So here it is...Diamine Robert vs Sailor Okuyama:

vtW9bVg0_t.jpg ej3R4IDj_t.jpg

Okuyama has much less sheen, is lighter, more yellowish and orangey.

What do you think? I personally prefer Robert a lot more.

It was very unfortunate that I ordered Okuyama from Japan just before these new inks were released.

...‹snip›...

Okuyama has much less sheen, is lighter, more yellowish and orangey.

Surely you actually liked Sailor okuyama well enough – or at least imagined you'd like it, from seeing images and reading reviews of it online – in its own right to place an order for it in the first place? If so, what's unfortunate about it, when it obviously has not so depleted you of funds or denied you the opportunity to get Diamine Robert as well?

What do you think? I personally prefer Robert a lot more.

I like Sailor okuyama well enough to have placed an order for a second 50ml bottle of it from Japan recently (and it was delivered to me just yesterday night). My only regret is that I could have ended up spending slightly less for it, by buying it from a different retailer who offered free shipping in conjunction with other things I bought, but never mind.

Since you asked me what I think, I'll say that sheen is a minor, unimportant feature of inks and barely warrant positive consideration from me personally, so it's unlikely that sheening potential will affect how much I enjoy the base colour, or eclipse consideration of far more important features (lack of feathering is close to number one on my list, and water resistance close behind). Even smooth shading (that shows us as a blended continuum instead of distinct steps) is worth far more to me than sheen.

From what I've seen of images online of Diamine Robert, I can't say that the base colour wows me, and I haven't read up enough about it to know about its performance with regard to feathering and water resistance.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Just for the hell of it, I've now ordered a bottle of Diamine Robert in the Cult Pen Iridescink line, to confirm for myself whether I like its base colour than that of Sailor okuyama after seeing them on paper in person. I'll guarantee you, however, than my view that sheen is unimportant in the value of an ink to me will not change, and @CrimsonBlood, again since you asked me (and others) as a fellow fountain pen/ink user and FPN forum member, I will not be subscribing to the narrative that "sheen is what makes an ink attractive and/or superior" like most fp users who don't go out of their way to wax lyrical about sheen.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Not sure if anyone else has had a similar experience with these inks but I have found them to be a bit of a mixed bag. Maureen's base colour is....ok. It's a somewhat dull looking blue and the sheen is what gives it a bit of interest. Robert is much nicer (to my eyes) when wet and dries to a deeper purple tone (as opposed to reddish), but I'm finding it very dry with some flow problems in certain nibs. They are nice enough inks, but nothing to be hugely excited over in my opinion.

• 4 months later...

Heads up.

I love Robert but left a Jinhao 991 XF and a Lamy Logo 1.1 inked up and unattended for 4-5 days and they both developed absolutely EPIC nib crud.

I love Robert but left a Jinhao 991 XF and a Lamy Logo 1.1 inked up and unattended for 4-5 days and they both developed absolutely EPIC nib crud.

On the other hand, I had Diamine Iridescink Robert sitting in both a Sailor Lecoule with a steel MF nib, and a Pilot Custom Heritage 91 with a 14K gold SFM nib, that were left undisturbed for about three weeks, and neither of them developed any nib crud. (I used, and then cleaned, the Pilot CH91 earlier this week; and I just pulled out the Sailor Lecoule to check.)

I am looking forward to trying both these inks. In the meantime, I'll just be amused by calling them Bob and Mo, and will find some other colour in my collection to call Inky McInkface. (Reason: here.)

On the other hand, I had Diamine Iridescink Robert sitting in both a Sailor Lecoule with a steel MF nib, and a Pilot Custom Heritage 91 with a 14K gold SFM nib, that were left undisturbed for about three weeks, and neither of them developed any nib crud. (I used, and then cleaned, the Pilot CH91 earlier this week; and I just pulled out the Sailor Lecoule to check.)

That's really useful to know. Bearing in mind how much worse the rickety Jinhao was than the Lamy, I'd wager it's down to my pens having a worse cap seal than yours. Will stick to my better capped pens with this one in future.

DId anyone else have any problems with clogging with the Iridescink colours? I'm just cleaning out a pen after the first converter full of Robert, and there's quite a lot of gunk trapped in the feed (I had to pull the nib and feed out, and go at the latter with a toothbrush, rather than my usual method of just flushing through in situ with a bulb syringe).

I didn't notice much nib crud during use, although the pen began to hard-start a bit near the end of the converter-full. I don't think there's any permanent damage, so maybe I just should have tried to use it up more quickly...

DId anyone else have any problems with clogging with the Iridescink colours? I'm just cleaning out a pen after the first converter full of Robert, and there's quite a lot of gunk trapped in the feed (I had to pull the nib and feed out, and go at the latter with a toothbrush, rather than my usual method of just flushing through in situ with a bulb syringe).

I didn't notice much nib crud during use, although the pen began to hard-start a bit near the end of the converter-full. I don't think there's any permanent damage, so maybe I just should have tried to use it up more quickly...

Yeah, I'm having some issues. I've tried soapy flush, Diamine pen flush, soaking and finally running through with a cleaner ink on my Lamy Logo but the flow's still wrong so there must be gunk trapped in the feed. The mouth of the convertor also had some kind of stain or coating that wouldn't move even with bleach, though thankfully the cleaner ink and another soak eventually took care of it.

If I can get the flinging flanging nib out I'm sure I can clean the feed up the same way you did but it's refusing to move at the minute.

Organics Studio Nitrogen did this to an extent so I wasn't expecting an easy clean up but I never had to fully disassemble like this.

Edited by ScarletWoodland

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I'm having some issues. I've tried soapy flush, Diamine pen flush, soaking and finally running through with a cleaner ink on my Lamy Logo but the flow's still wrong so there must be gunk trapped in the feed. The mouth of the convertor also had some kind of stain or coating that wouldn't move even with bleach, though thankfully the cleaner ink and another soak eventually took care of it.

If I can get the flinging flanging nib out I'm sure I can clean the feed up the same way you did but it's refusing to move at the minute.

Organics Studio Nitrogen did this to an extent so I wasn't expecting an easy clean up but I never had to fully disassemble like this.

Did you try the ink in a different pen?

It might be better to use it in a Pelikan, as you can unscrew the nib to clean.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.