Pelikan M400 vs. M200

mafiablues

Is the difference between the M400 and the M200 only aesthetics or does it worth it to pay the extra $$ for more smoothness and handling comfort without considering beautifullness ?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• KCat

• TheNobleSavage

• mafiablues

OK, here comes a little controversy...

The main difference is that the M200 has a gold-plated steel nib and the M400 a 14K gold nib (that's not the controversial bit, by the way; that comes next.) The steel nib is just as good as the gold one. Phew. There, I've said it. I'll no doubt be tarred and feathered for my trouble.

The nice thing is that the nibs are available separately and interchangeable, so you can always get the M200 and change the nib later if you find the steel one not to your liking.

Ray

I agree with that!! Thats what I did, After a couple of months of using my M200, I wanted to try a real gold nib. I never tried a gold nib before and I found a great deal on Ebay. I bought a few 18kt gold nibs to change out my GP ones. I was able to get an excellent price for 2 18kt gold fine nibs for $75.00.

The Difference between the M200 and the M400 is that the M400 has:

-14Kt gold nib

-gold band on the rear of the pen, right below the piston knob,

-one gold band near the nib

-one extra gold band on the cap.

I believe that the size is Identical on the M200 and M400

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

Yes, the M200 and M400 (and M250, M405, M450) are all the same size. The 250, 400 and 405, 450's all have gold nibs. The barrel material is "nicer" as well, and offers many more choices in finishes of course.

Is it worth the extra expense? Look for the best price on the model you like most. You are getting a gold nib, which is worth maybe $50 more than the 200, but you have much more choice in style.

Never lie to your dog.

OK, here comes a little controversy...

The main difference is that the M200 has a gold-plated steel nib and the M400 a 14K gold nib (that's not the controversial bit, by the way; that comes next.) The steel nib is just as good as the gold one. Phew. There, I've said it. I'll no doubt be tarred and feathered for my trouble.

heck no, I won't argue with you, Ray.

If you are really hung up on gold nibs - and some people are - then IMO, it's worth it. But if you just want a good, smooth nib with the other great M200 qualities, then it isn't worth it to pay the extra for the 400. I actually prefer GP nibs for the most part. What counts is the tipping and the tipping on the 200 will be the same material as that on the 400/600/800. The gold nibs tend to have more generous tipping, or so it seems to me, so my experiences have been that a fine 400 nib runs a little broader than a fine 200. But I don't have a lot of 400 examples to base that on (4).

As far as the other materials - I actually like the marbled 200s more than most of the 400 colors. What can I say - i like things that have a smooth flow to them vs. stripes or choppy splotches. The material on the 400s is celluloid acetate from what I've been told. This has a little more "warmth" to it in feel and it is just *tiny* bit heavier. So small that I may be imagining it but I don't think so. Someday I'll get them on an accurate scale just for grins. I also find the clear ink view easier to use than trying to look through the clear stripes on a 400.

all that said - the M400 Tortoise is a beaut! :)

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

As far as the other materials - I actually like the marbled 200s more than most of the 400 colors.

I agree for the most part with the exception of the Tortoise shell. I really dig the marble look of the 200 but I am not big on GP nibs so thats why I bought some 14kt and 18 kt nibs and switched out the gp with a solid gold. I also have a few transparent M200 Blue and Grey pens with 18kt gold nibs. They look rather cool. I also was able to aquire a clear demonstrator M250 (I think it was made for Levenger) and switched out the solid single tone 14kt gold nib with a two tone 18kt gold nib. M400 and M250 are nice and if you have the cash to buy it up front and prefer a gold nib, then go for it. If you are on a limited budget buy the M200 and later on you can upgrade if you like.

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

To me the extra $$'s is well worth paying for the 400 but for many here it isn't so who knows. Having handled some cheaper level pens I have to say the difference isn't limited to trim. They do feel a bit more substantial to me. The larger gold nibs have a better feel for me. Spread the difference in the initial cost over a few decades and it virtually disappears. If you can appreciate it go for the 400. Better yet a 600. The Pelikan 600 is a very nicely proportioned fountain pen. Very nice.

there are no persons worth knowing except saints, scoundrels, and quacks

J-K Huysmans

When I bought my M200 I tested it side by side with the M400. The M200 was smoother. Maybe I just got an exceptionally smooth one but that was my experience. And of course the piston filler is exactly the same. So if you do step up to the 400, don't expect extra functionality.

The gold nibs tend to have more generous tipping, or so it seems to me, so my experiences have been that a fine 400 nib runs a little broader than a fine 200.

I have the same impression. So that makes two. My smoothliest Pelikan has a steel nib, though...

When I bought my first pen, I went for a M250 w/ the gold nib instead of the M200 w/ the SS. I had heard that gold makes a difference. After getting a little bit of experience under my belt I can say this: When dealing with a quality manufacturer, it doesn't matter whether the nib is gold or SS. I have had equal success with both gold and stainless nibs. My two latest purchases have both been under $40. Both had SS nibs, and both were exceptionally smooth writers.

As you go higher up, though, the gold nibs get more and more beautful. I have a fondness for gold w/ rhodium accents. I don't think I'm alone here. :)

My recommendation, pick based on how the pen looks. I think the white/honey 400 (Take a look at kcat's icon for an example) is one of the most beautiful pens that Pelikan makes. I know Pam Braun had them at a resonable price.

My pen-purchasing questions are these:

A. How does it write?

B. How is the build quality?

C. How does it look?

D. Does the size fit my hand?

E. How much does it cost?

You're looking at the Pelikan Soveriegn series, so the answer to both A & B is "Exceptional*", regardless of where you are in the series. The 200 and 400 are the same size, so D is moot. That leaves only C & E for you to weigh. How attractive do you find it? How much are you looking to spend?

*A note about grammar:

I suppose the answer to A would actually be "Exceptionally" B)

Edited by Compulsion

Thank you al lot for your advise.

Yes, the Honey/Tortoise M400 is very beautiful, even more than some M600 or M800 colors.

But I have read that this M400 has a problem: crackling of the cap ? is it true ? does it happen to all honey/tortoise M400 ?

But I have read that this M400 has a problem: crackling of the cap ? is it true ? does it happen to all honey/tortoise M400 ?

i am probably the one who had the best known problem with this pen in that regard. My last cap exchange (bytheby, all of this done for free and with chartpak shipping overnight) was a keeper and has been in daily use for several months now with no problem. But yes, I did go through some problems with the first 3 caps. I think Pelikan mucked up somewhere in the manufacturing process or perhaps they choose a plastic that doesn't anneal as well under their normal conditions. At any rate - no problems now and while it was a bit of a hassle, it wasn't weeks worth of frustration, only days. And i love the pen so much from an aesthetic as well as functional POV that I would take that hassle again if need be.

though one of my caps had actually cracked (about 1/3" long) and I believe someone else I talked to during all that had a crack in his cap as well, the problem is actually in four small joints/seams that are apparently required in the manufacturing process. Probably required to allow the cap bands to be fitted properly then later annealed or otherwise filled in. And either because of the material chosen for the cap (a white-ivory plastic they haven't used before?) or a missed or mucked up step in the process, these seams were not properly finished. That allowed for some strain on the cap and the one that I had that had a crack did originate at one of these seams.

I'll try to find my previous thread which I think has pics. But won't swear to it. So all this could make some sense.

BTB, these seams are only seen on 1.5 cap bands. single cap bands don't require them apparently- at least, not such that they would be visible. These same seems are seen in all other 1.5 cap band Pelikans that I've looked at but in the dark plastic, they alway seem to be properly finished. When properly finished, they look like opaque spots spaced evenly about the circumference of the cap. Probably there are more folks out there with the Tortoise pens that remain unaware of the seams because - not all caps had this problem and you have to get a dark ink into the seams for it to be noticeable unless you know exactly what you're looking for. If it were solely cosmetic, I wouldn't care much. but that one of those caps *did* crack made me feel I needed to pursue a cap that had no open seams. I'm sure I was a pain for Chartpak but they were kind throughout the process.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

• 9 years later...

Holy shitnit! I didn't realize I had a M400. I bought what I thought was a M200 with 14C nib (I figured it was just old) and as I'm reading here it's a M400. I paid $25 for that beauty (though the nib is... I'm not sure. Flat such that there's literally only one position that writes smooth).

Blasphemy...how to up grade a modern ringed 400....replace the big fat blobby nib with a gold plated 200's nib :yikes: ....keeping the 'gold' bling. Steel would do just as well. It is thinner, closer to width size, writes with a cleaner line...has a touch of spring to it in it's 'true' regular flex. The modern 400/600 has semi-nail nibs...see below.

On the whole....and I've trans-mailed 8-9 200's or it's nibs to England in some German idiots won't ship to England.

Two were as good as my 120's nib....a very nice nib....the others 6-7 had a touch more spring to them....regular flex....(not a "Springy" nib like a Falcon or modern MB.) They were = to my '90's 400 and two Celebry pens; one gold, one steel; both =.

You see, there are a lot of idiots who don't have three minutes to learn how to hold a fountain pen, and persist in holding it before the big index knuckle like a ball point....so the 400/600's tipping has to be fatter.

A ball under and a ball over & the thicker tip makes it fat and blobby. It is semi-nail instead of regular flex...in many cross over Ball Point Barbarians are Ham Fisted...and would bend a regular flex nib.

In Pelikan more than likely sells more ball point and roller balls than fountain pens....the market must be served.....and repair cost of fixing bent nibs is less.

There for the 400/600 nibs are not as good as the '80-97' or the even better '50-65' nibs...which are mostly semi-flex or 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex.

Don't want to insult a Ball Point Barbarian fountain pen buyer by putting instructions of how to hold a fountain pen..... :headsmack: :doh:They wouldn't have the three minutes to learn. They know it all. So make the fat blobby semi-nail nib for them.

The 400 is made of slightly better material...the stripped binde is a tad better vs stripped binde.....how ever the 200 comes in many, many different colors in binde; many look very good indeed. :thumbup:

In I have a slew of 400's....won't be buying a 200.....but did buy a 215...which is a fine design with a brass barrel so it's heavier.....did want that 200's nib. :happyberet:

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 2 weeks later...

The difference between the M200 and M400 is not only the nib or colour but also the manufacturing quality.

On the M200 you can see the seems from the moulding form on the grip. On the M400 the surface has peen polished with a diamond tool.

"On the internet nobody knows you're a cat." =^.^=

I just got my M215 in the mail yesterday and can confirm all the observations listed already.

Nib

The M200 is stainless steel and has less tipping material and ornamentation than the gold nibs but it writes every bit as smooth as any of my gold nibs and has some spriginess to it like my Pilot nibs which I like. So the M200 nib is better to write with and the M400 is nicer to look at. :lol:

I now have a good feel for what is considered a nail (M800), semi-nail (M600/M400), and springy/semi-flex (M200). I'm also in the club of people that purchased the M215 mainly for the nib, but while I was at it I wanted what I considered the best design. The Lozenge design was a lot harder to find, but fortunately Martini Auctions had a few in stock and even allowed me to swap nibs since they didn't have an EF on sale.

All in all, you will not get better smoothness or handling from an M400 over an M215.

Binde/Build Quality

I got the M215 over an M200 specifically because it has a brass barrel which gives the pen some weight and the Lozenge design which looks very pretty in person. With the M215 I'd say the quality of the body of the pen is equal to the 400/600/800 I have and because of the metal barrel construction I'd say it's better than my Pilot CH92 or Lamy 2000.

Value

No question the M20x is a better value than the M400 at full retail pricing. The actually writing experience with the M200 nib is equal or better than my gold nib pens. I won't say it's better than my M400 though only because I have a broad stub which it's a joy to write with but a different experience than my EF M215. If I compare my M215 EF with my M60x EF's, then I would say the M215 nib is actually better. Is that blasphemy? Oh well. :lol:

I also need to preface that I purchased my M215 for under $100 and my M400 white tortoise for $125, so at that price my M400 is actually the better value in my opinion. A normal pricing, I don't think the M400 is worth double the M20x. From a writing experience standpoint, I'd also say the M600 is not worth 3-4x and the M800 is not worth 4-5x the price. However, there's more consideration than just the nib for those lines and I still consider the M60x my favorite of all the Pelikan sizes. I've been fortunate to not pay anywhere near retail pricing for any of my Pelikans. The most I've paid to this point is $260 for my blue M600 so my idea of value is a bit skewed.

I'll leave this here. A picture I took last night of my M215. :D

http://i.imgur.com/yAZtjiq.jpg

Edited by maverick777

I like the design of the M215. But with the metal bodies I'm always a bit afraid of scratches and wearing.

Plastic can be polished, but if the laqueur is damaged, you'll see the naked metal.

"On the internet nobody knows you're a cat." =^.^=

springy/semi-flex (M200).

I was sort of called up, on my use of calling a 200 a springy regular flex....so now I try to remember to call it a regular flex with a bit of spring. The man was telling me his Pilots were 'springy' and the 200 not....he was right. :blush:

OK, 'Springy' is a flex stage between regular flex and semi-flex. Regular flex, semi-flex and 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex all spread their tines 3 X with decreasing pressure.

'Springy' like a Falcon or a modern MB, has nice tine bend, but less tine spread...@ 2 X instead of 3X.

Semi-flex is sort of like 'Springy' ++.

Having 30 semi-flex pens....so the 200's nib is a very, very nice regular flex nib with a bit of spring = to the '90's M400 and Celebry pens; have one in gold and one in steel both =. It is not semi-flex. But if coming from stiffer modern semi-nail pens could be taken for one. The 200's nib is a real nice 'true' regular flex with a tad of spring. :)

One does need a good regular flex nib too, in there are certain shading inks that do better in 'true' regular flex than in the normally wetter semi-flex.

I did go out and get a M215 like yours....did 'need' a 200's nib. :P

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

No M400's (yet - perhaps someday) but have two M205's. One black with a fine nib and a Toledo Red with a medium. Both have wonderful nibs.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I love it when someone restarts an old thread and I get to see some of the classic FPN fraternity names pop up.