At Home Storage

A-damreview

Hello all, there are alot of pen cases, roll ups and notebooks, great for mobile storage, but now that my own collect is growing that I can't keep every pen on me. I have just been placing my pens that are not in use bare on my bookshelf, which feels wierd to just leave them there out in the open. I was wondering what kind of pen storage everyone uses. I'm looking for something that could hold 20 pens and preferably with a bit of a display aspect to it.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A-damreview

• rlb

• DasKaltblut

I am in the same situation with another. I am looking for a box recommendation for home, and there are many to chose from. With a carefully chosen pen collection, I don’t think a cheap box off Amazon is the answer, but there are many there, and then I start looking at vintage boxes with a nice Montblanc brand on the front and wonder if it is genuine. It’s becoming more complicated than sourcing a pen. Good fun though.

1950s Silver Rings, 1962 and 1985 Montblanc 149, Montblanc III a, 136, 234,5 252, 342, 344, plus some modern too....

I dont know if this is going to help you I have converted a few cutlery boxes for use with pens.

This is my most recent acquisition it is similar to one I converted years ago it will hold around 60 standard pens as well as 10 oversize.

45055376841_94fd7e108c_k.jpg2018-10-02_04-55-32 by my0771, on Flickr

I cant believe it was 5 years ago when I made this.

9669367979_fe3a198f67_k.jpgIMG_4807_1 by my0771, on Flickr

The lid was the finishing touch with a custom monogram.

What I have learned is that you can convert many different boxes to store fountain pens "Think outside the box" : ) :)

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

I've never favored the display case route -- they just seem to take up too much space for the number of pens. Also don't want to make it too obvious if a thief breaks in. Glass-topped display -- must be valuable; zippered leather "folios" next to a supply of note-pads/paper -- probably just notebooks.

Though I do need to buy another. I'm running out of room in the three zip-cases I have. Six empty slots in a 20-pen case (currently it has only my Pilot pens). Two empty slots in a 36-pen case (not counting the four reserved for the recent Noodlers pens. Eight free in a 48-pen case (and I could probably fill those with pens still in boxes and in a case holding pens needing repairs and odd&ends).

I have 5 of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LW8FHM2/

Ok one came unglued a bit, but that was easily fixed by E6000 - and for the price you can't go wrong. Every pen I have fits in here, other than my Jinhao 159 (too thick) and my Penbbs 267 longtail (too long). It protects from light, keeps them safe and easily accessible.

Someone also posted this with added pen trays yesterday on FB: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FVCVNFM/

I have 5 of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LW8FHM2/

Ok one came unglued a bit, but that was easily fixed by E6000 - and for the price you can't go wrong. Every pen I have fits in here, other than my Jinhao 159 (too thick) and my Penbbs 267 longtail (too long). It protects from light, keeps them safe and easily accessible.

Someone also posted this with added pen trays yesterday on FB: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FVCVNFM/

Thanks for this!

To the OP: empty cigar boxes could also work, there's a company that sells pen tray liners.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Thanks for the tips. Has anyone bitten the bullet and gone for a Montblanc pen box. I can’t find much history on old ones.

1950s Silver Rings, 1962 and 1985 Montblanc 149, Montblanc III a, 136, 234,5 252, 342, 344, plus some modern too....

Several people have made inexpensive storage from old cigar boxes. Someone just gave me a small one a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't done anything with it yet (it's sort of fan shaped, so cutting a tray out of an inexpensive flocked tray I got at a pen show a few years ago will be, um, interesting.... Still sort of kicking myself for not going back and getting a really inexpensive humidor (looked like a little attache case) at an estate sale I was at several years ago -- it had the foam inserts (which could easily be washed) and would have held around 8-10 pens, IIRC. It would have probably been good for taking stuff around pen shows that I was going to have repaired, since it was hard-sided, had the inserts, and maybe even had a lock.

In the meantime, I have a bunch of inexpensive 24 pen cases (around $15-16 US apiece) which I got at a local Rockler's in their turning department. I have the pens that are un-inked mostly sorted by brand although a lot of pens are still on my desk (and others are in the 12 pen case I bought last spring at the Baltimore-Washington Pen Show from Toys in the Attic). [i say "mostly sorted because I may be running out of room for some brands (I've already dedicated a second "Parker only" case because I have more of those than any other brand.... :rolleyes:).]

Currently inked pens are either in a canister on one of the bookcases next to my desk, or within reach of where I sit in the living room (in my purse or a basket which holds stationery supplies and bills to be paid).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Getting an old cigar box and filling it with pen tray might be the way to go. The boxes are pretty inexpensive on Ebay and look pretty good too. Anyone know a good place to order some pen trays?

Not offhand, but I know they're out there -- I bought a sheet of flocked pen tray liners at a pen show a couple of years ago. I did do a quick Google search, and there was a thread from about six months ago about someone who was making ones to fit larger girth pens. So if you go up to the top of the page to the "search" box and check the forums for "pen tray liners" you can probably find it again.

I've also seen where people took really small cove molding strips and glued them together into a box bottom then glued soft fabric over them. I found links to several videos on how to make ones as well..

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks for this!

To the OP: empty cigar boxes could also work, there's a company that sells pen tray liners.

This is what I have. One holds twelve and the other thirteen. With ten inked and in a pen roll, that covers all of them currently.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I have a Wancher Kabazi 50pen case

https://www.wancherpen.com/collections/pen-box-1/products/kabazai-wooden-urushi-pen-display-case-50-pens

but bought from their Rakuten Outlet Shop https://item.rakuten.co.jp/hunnyhunt/st-pb-50-rbw-5_outlet/ for much less. Cannot find a thing wrong with it....

Lovely! At more than 150 pens that kind of display would just take up too much room for me personally, but if I had a smaller collection...(uh let's face it, that's not happening :) )

pen collections always grow, they never get smaller, fortunately. I bought the grey flocked trays from Garry at Gopens, and had to stomach the U.K. Customs Import charges, but for my money (or should that be the Customs money) they are a worthwhile permanent investment. I then spent weeks making two twelve draw mahogany cabinets - each draw holding 48 pens in two rows - but like most things I underestimated my needs and will probably have to make another unit in the new year.

The only real expense - apart from the pens - were the brass handles.

This may appear OTT for a collection of f.ps., but if you stop and consider than many of these pens are in the $75 - $200 price bracket - and some of the guys here have one or two thousand pens - then it makes sense to give them a secure and protective home.

The mahogany I found for zilch - folk who replace their double glazing windows and frames are wasteful and simply throw the wood into skips for disposal, so if I spy this amazing source of mahogany when on my walks I simply go back with the car and collect gratis.

But if you don't have table or band saws then dimensioning the wood is probably a non-starter, and as a simple alternative that anyone can task, I like the idea of re-inventing cutlery boxes for pen storage.

It's the flocked trays (or similar) that are important - without them pens are simply going to roll around, but if you aren't a collector and simply own a dozen pens for writing, then a cloth roll or single glazed display box is adequate, and there's acres of those around.

Compared to other collectibles - pens are small, compact and consume very little space - I can't imagine that storage of 150 of them would be a problem :)

Here is my desktop storage box. Beautifully handcrafted and fits just enough pens to keep me honest. My daily usets or at least more frequently used pens call this lovely box home.

It's often the opening conversation to my FP obsession when someone spots it on my desks and dares to inquire.

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj509/sharpski/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20181009_224558_zpschnksfk3.jpg

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj509/sharpski/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20181009_224542_zpsfq00eqy6.jpg

• 3 months later...

I got fed up of storing my pens in a variety of boxes I'd gathered as my collection grew so bought an empty cutlery chest at a local auction. The chest was made in 1874 and has 7 drawers. I replaced the old fittings from the drawers with slotted pen trays from Gary at gopens and posted the results here some time back. I've still got plenty of empty slots to fill.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/326713-pen-display-drawers/

The trays are about 16.5" x 12" with 24 slots (room for 2 pens in each slot). The trays can be easily cut to the size of your box with scissors or craft knife. All are bright blue as in the photos. As I was importing to the UK I bought some extra ones to try spread the costs of postage, taxes, etc. I've got some left over which I've been selling off to other members in the UK who are planning their own projects so PM me if you're interested.

Edited by judo

"In my early days there were few schools to help us in the pursuit of learning.

If we wanted to climb, we had first to make our own ladders".

Benjamin Brierley (1825-1896),

English weaver and self taught writer/publisher in Lancashire dialect.

Wow. That's a really beautiful case. I know some people have used old dental tool cabinets or high-end wooden tool boxes/cabinets.

I was an an antiques show over the weekend and one booth had some sort of wooden tool (I think) box that was about 30" or so by maybe 12-14" and about 15-18" high. It had several drawers in it. I don't know the price (and was afraid to ask); the tag on it didn't give a price -- only a note to not pick it up by the leather handle grip on the top....

I also saw a really lovely writing desk (guessing Victorian) at another booth that seemed to be in good condition and for a decent price -- the writing slope part had purple velvet on it, and it had two glass inkwells. But I just couldn't justify the cost (although I did get the seller's name and number just in case).

• 5 months later...

Some contacted me asking for where I got the above pen box so I thought I'd share in case some else came across the same question.

It's made my Cooperswoodstudio he is on etsy and does a great job. Highly recommend!