Montblanc 234 1/2 - Broken Filler Piston

garden_fencer

Hi All,

just wanted some advice.

The cork seal holder in my 234 1/2 has broken way from the piston filler mechanism. To me it looks like the cork seal holder had a "stem" which was crimped into the brass piston filler mechanism.

I have wrapped waxed cotton around the piston filler, as an earlier "repair" to the crack in the brass ( this works fine), its how to replace the cork seal holder back into the end of the piston filler

Please see the picture attached.

Has anyone on the forum repaired a pen in this condition, or could recommend a UK/Europe based repairer, or even parts supplier?

Would really like to get this back to working condition.

Thanks in advance

Kind regards

post-139009-0-20745600-1538413803_thumb.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• garden_fencer

• CS388

• specialk0449

• farmdogfan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I highly recommend Francis Goossens aka fountainbel on FPN. He is the best at repairing vintage pens especially Montblancs. He repaired a 234 1/2 for me recently and did a fantastic job.

I highly recommend Francis Goossens aka fountainbel on FPN. He is the best at repairing vintage pens especially Montblancs. He repaired a 234 1/2 for me recently and did a fantastic job.

+1

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

And another vote for Francis.

What is that black stuff on the telescopic shaft?

I haven't got one of these apart, at the moment and I can't see how the piston head attaches to the shaft.

But, if the brass is cracked, then it's a replacement part, or send to a professional for repair.

Great pen. I use my 234½ daily.

Good luck.

That would be my choice as well.

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses and appreciate all your recommendation for Francis.

I'll just reply in order of the questions above:

Near Mint - Yes the 'spool shaped thing' is the cork seat, without the old cork seal, which I removed. One end of this has the retaining nut for the cork seal, and makes it look like a spool

Antique - The 'black stuff on the telescopic shaft' is waxed cotton. I put this on as a temporary repair to a crack in the brass tube that allowed the spiral shaft to wind out of the mechanism. Its a crude fix but has worked for a while.

Now I just need to contact Fountainbel, what is the best way to contact Francis on the forum ( pardon my lack of experience or understanding)

Kind regards

Ah, that's the waxed cotton, I see. Thanks for clarifying.

I can't recall the exact internal construction.* Where is the 'stem' you mention? I can't see how the piston head will mate with the shaft, without it? Is it missing? Unless the shaft fits into the head? Just curious ...

Francis is your man for this sort of work. World class.

Let us know how you get on.

Good luck

* My 234½ is writing so well at the moment, that I'm not risking taking it apart to look inside and answer my questions. Sorry!

Ah, that's the waxed cotton, I see. Thanks for clarifying.

I can't recall the exact internal construction.* Where is the 'stem' you mention? I can't see how the piston head will mate with the shaft, without it? Is it missing? Unless the shaft fits into the head? Just curious ...

Francis is your man for this sort of work. World class.

Let us know how you get on.

Good luck

* My 234½ is writing so well at the moment, that I'm not risking taking it apart to look inside and answer my questions. Sorry!

I think it´s more or less like this one (from a 236).

fpn_1527014759__cu4f8944.jpg

The waxed cotton" banding"will be stripped off when retracting the piston fully…...

Installing a new sleeve or installing a short reenforcement bushing over the cracked sleeve entry is the way to go.

Francis

Thanks again everyone, for suggestions and contributions, it has been very helpful.

Forwarded my 234 1/2 to fountainbel this week.

By the way Francis for the additional diagrams and explanations, by the FPN messenger service. Its helped me understand the construction and likely issues

When the repair is done, I'll post some photo's and samples of writing.

Once again appreciate everyone's responses

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Well having taken everyones advice I contacted Francis G (Fountainbel), and forwarded my rather forlorn and tired looking MB 234 1/2 for his consideration. (See the photo in the original post, broken cork seat, fractured primary filler tube )

I am glad to say that I have received it back today, and could hardly wait to refill and try this pen again.

Francis has completed an excellent repair from my perspective. This was a broken 70 year old writing implement, now it is like a shiny new and functional cordless communication device for the modern age.

Apologies in advance, but I did not have the courage to disassemble, so the pen is shown complete in the attached photo with a sample of writing detailing the repairs and servicing.

Thanks again to all who recommended fountainbel, and of course to Francis for his expertise.post-139009-0-42100300-1539880817_thumb.jpg

kind regards,

Paul

Great news. It looks fantastic.

These are brilliant pens and will give you years of pleasure and service.

Congratulations.

Apologies in advance, but I did not have the courage to disassemble, so the pen is shown complete

No apology needed. Never take them apart, if they're working well.

Edited by CS388

Garden fencer you will get many years of enjoyment from your pen. Francis performs miracles in restoring vintage MB pens. In my opinion the 234 1/2 is one of best pens ever made by MB.