M1000 M Or B?

Marten

Good day to you all!

I would like to apologise beforehand as I know that this subject has been discussed before and I do not want to beat the proverbial "Dead Horse"...

(I have come across an M1000 at a rather reasonable price and even though this is a bit out of my normal budget (Well, more than just a bit I suppose) I simply cannot pass on this. But, as I am about to spend a King's Ransom, I have to ensure that I make the best decision regarding nib size)

I have (Over the past ten days) searched and read virtually every post on this and other forums, relating to M1000 nibs. Unfortunately I am no closer to making an educated decision.

As I reside in South Africa, I have no real chance of trying out both nibs prior to making a purchase decision and, like with so many other things, have to rely on the wonderful "Net" in order to make informed decisions.

I am very fortunate to already own a M400 (M nib) and M800 (B stub). I also own a couple of Namisu designs with an assortment of nibs ranging from EF - 1.1 Italic. Now, I rather like (Or prefer might be a better word) broader lines and am very happy with the M400 Medium for example. It is wet and the line fairly broad for a typical medium. Having said that though, the Bock medium I am currently using is ever so slightly broader to my eye.

Now the question is this I suppose... Would the M1000 with a medium nib have a similar line width to that of the M400 or slightly broader? (Broader in this regard is better) Or should I go with the B nib on the M1000?

The absolute best comparison i was able to find was that of FPN "enricof". Many thanks to you Sir! (https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/204687-pelikan-m1000/page-2)

fpn_1316622380__pels.jpg

On the above sample, I am not seeing a massive difference between the medium and broad nibs. The medium sample does however to appear a tad broader than my medium M400. But just by a hair.

I do understand that all of this is extremely subjective but if I may humbly request those of you who own either a M or B M1000 (And those lucky individuals who might own both) to be so kind as to give some input/opinions please?

I would be most grateful I assure you.

A very pleasant day to all of you.

Kind regards,

Marten.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Marten

• 1nkulus

• torstar

• mitto

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Marten:

My very personal opinion is ... big pen <-> big nib. In the meanwhile a lot of my pens have B nibs. Writing with a M nib is therefore sometimes strange to me.

Furthermore my M1000 comes with a B nib ... and this nib is great. So, my recommendation -> B nib.

Regards, Ingolf.

https://schreibkultur.requirements.de ... my blog - currently in German only

Many thanks to both of you!

Ingolf, having looked at your post just now, I am virtually convinced that the B nib is the way to go for me as well. (Actually, that was a rather insightful post for me. Thank you very much)

Depends on if the 1000 is springy regular flex or semi-flex. I'd tested one ages ago vs a semi-flex pen because there was always someone saying only springy, others saying semi-flex. That one was semi-flex.

It comes in either or springy regular flex...mine, or semi-flex. The one I won in a live auction some two months ago was a nice springy regular flex OBB....and in that is a modern fatter nib than the 1/2 a width semi-vintage thinner small 600 OBB I won right after it.

If you are use to the fatter post '97 M400 semi-nail width, then the 1000 should be near the same...but for ease of tine spread (in either)...............and how heavy handed you are.

In both cases would be wider than the semi-nail M400's M, if your hand is not light.....and semi-flex will be wider and wetter due to ease of tine bend.........even if you have a fairly light Hand.

Would have to have a very light hand not to have a semi-flex 1000 show you semi-flex.

I'd go M....a wetter ink will make that a B. Any ink but Pel 4001 is wet enough to make the nib wider.

Many papers will do that too.

So a fatter nib, a wetter ink, and poorer paper will make the M a B.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

M1000 nibs tend to be wetter tan smaller size pelikans. I would recommend an M for more restricted ink flow chances out of the box.

I have had most nib widths and an M width ground for line variation is one of my favorites.

I usually like BB or wider. But even a skilled pen technician like Mike Masuyama could not throttle back the flow enough for me on a BB nib.

So I would advise you to consider how wet tour typical ink is and how it might flow in an M1000. It really is a different beast to the M800 and smaller nibs.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

And again, thank you to Bo Bo Olson and zaddick.

Regarding ink choices as you pointed out Bo Bo Olson... Yes, many of the inks I use would arguably be consider more wet than dry I suppose and I hear what you are saying. I write with an average hand I suppose. Not light but certainly not "bend the tines impossibly wide" either. At work I simply use the cheaper copier paper for notes etc. Well, it is not absolute rubbish either...

Interesting observation you make with regards to struggling to control the ink flow zaddick thank you.

Jip, so unfortunately this just does not appear that it is going to be an easy choice...

Torstar, I wish I could yes... But this will already be breaking the bank so to speak.

Agreed mitto, I like my pens more on the wetter side but also not something that will act like a paint brush either.

My logic tells me medium but my heart demands the broad.

If new, buy B and see if it works, if not you have 5 weeks to swap in for a M....or vice versa.

If second hand, buy B if too wide can ship the nib off to be made M.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

If new, buy B and see if it works, if not you have 5 weeks to swap in for a M....or vice versa.

Cheers Bo Bo Olson - I believe that I am going to follow your advice on this. Go broad and I could then always have it made italic or medium or whatever.

(Swapping nibs though proved to be an issue before for me, due to where I live. Contacted the African Agents who took approximately three weeks to get back to me and then insisted I Courier the pen to them and ensure that they do not pay any duties. Well, fair enough on the duties aspect. However, they were not willing to mark the return parcel as a warranty/replacement which in turn meant that I would have to pay duties on the same item yet again. End of the day the costs negated any gain and I left it at that.)

Thank you to all of you for your very kind assistance!

I would also recommend a B nib with the M1000.

+1

Nice n juicy and with a wet ink could be a very satisfying feeling.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

+1

Broad can go narrow, not vice versa.

IMO, go big or go home especially for a large pen. :D

Edited by 1nkulus

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Torstar, I wish I could yes... But this will already be breaking the bank so to speak.

Agreed mitto, I like my pens more on the wetter side but also not something that will act like a paint brush either.

My logic tells me medium but my heart demands the broad.

I have a BB and a Medium for my 800, I KNOW somewhere in between would be optimal....

I have a BB and a Medium for my 800, I KNOW somewhere in between would be optimal....

That is quite a Broad choice. :lol:

Engineer :

Right, I have had a good chuckle over the last comments.

Yes, broad can go narrower and that is what I believe I will go for then... Easier to ship to a qualified person for a re-grind than try and get it to Pelikan for an exchange. That is IF I do not enjoy the B.

Waiting on a Captain's Commission as well and had the same internal struggle trying to decide between an IM and IB. Opted for the IM sooo... M1000 in a B just seems "right".

An excellent decision, broadly speaking. ;)

Engineer :

The M1000 nib with it's springyness tends toward being very wet so B or M it will write wider than the same nib in a M800. Mine was a M and was too wet for me. I gave it to Mike Masuyama and he thinned it down a bit and made it less wet. Now I love it.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

That is quite a Broad choice. :lol:

laughing and grumbling at the same size

went to check out the price of a nib in-between..... gleep.......