Looking For A Very Robust Pen

KaB

So yesterday, I accidentaly dropped my VAC700 and the cap broke (silver ring still attached to pen, cap not). Should never have taken this pen there, but I did.

Now I'm looking for a solidly built pen that's not too expensive (less than €100). A pen that I can toss around, that only gets nicer when taking a beating.

Until now, I've been using Lamy's for this purpose. But my Al-star doesn't close firmly enough eny more. And my Vista was taking a nap in a jar of water to soak out the ink after a cartridge started leaking. (Hence the VAC700 on the roadtrip).

I was thinking of a Kaweco. Is this a good idea (and which one would fit my bill best)? Or are there any other suggestions (preferably flat topped, no sigars please).

(Side question on the Kaweco: since you're bound to post is, does there get ink from the cap on the body and then after capping the pen again, on your hands or clothes?)

(Other side question on the Kaweco: I seem to remember there've been some negative comments on the nibs, don't remember what. Anyone cares to elaborate?)

(Last side question on the Kaweco: any chance to get it with a stub?)

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• mitto

• Karmachanic

• KaB

Ball points are free....if you pay money you can find some that are good solid to make spare skateboard axles out of.....

I suggest plastic glasses & plates too. If you order from USA they have plastic insulated beer mugs.

Or you could spend E500-700 for a pen, then you'd value it enough not to practice three bank carom shots with your book bag, or what ever you do to ruin pens.

Pen cases help too....as do carrying a pen in a shirt pocket instead of a pants pocket. @ 1895 shirt pockets were invented...just to carry removable clip fountain pens.

Kaweco makes metal mini-pens.........even though I thought the plastic ones very, very sturdy. Invented as 'Sport' pens in @ 1935, so you could have it in your pocket while playing a pick up game of slide tackling soccer.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Ball points are free....if you pay money you can find some that are good solid to make spare skateboard axles out of.....

I suggest plastic glasses & plates too. If you order from USA they have plastic insulated beer mugs.

Or you could spend E500-700 for a pen, then you'd value it enough not to practice three bank carom shots with your book bag, or what ever you do to ruin pens.

Pen cases help too....as do carrying a pen in a shirt pocket instead of a pants pocket. @ 1895 shirt pockets were invented...just to carry removable clip fountain pens.

Kaweco makes metal mini-pens.........even though I thought the plastic ones very, very sturdy. Invented as 'Sport' pens in @ 1935, so you could have it in your pocket while playing a pick up game of slide tackling soccer.

Oké, let me elaborate on that. I do take very good care of my pens. Both of my expensive ones as of my cheaper ones. So I don't do weird things with my pens. I don't throw with them, or with whatever bag they're in, I don't play soccer, I don't have a skateboard. I read, play violoncello and play chess. Get the picture?

My pens will always be in a nice pen case that fits snugly in my leather briefcase when they leave the house. And, once at the client's place: on the table or in my shirt pocket.

However, the other day I went for a nice walk wearing a Tshirt. The VAC was in my pocket and dropped as I reached for my hanky.

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

My Pilot 78g went through a washing machine cycle, twice (it lived in my shorts pocket as a daily carry and I forgot about it) without spilling a drop or leaking. For toughness though I would have thought metal bodied pens might be the way to go for you.

Pens I own and can wholeheartedly vouch for regarding build quality and solidity. . .

Namisu Nova - you could use these as tent pegs.

Sheaffer Taranis - mixed reviews but I love mine.

Lamy Aion - stonkingly good daily pen

Out of my pens my Wing Sung 601 and Esterbrook J best fit your description. I used a Pilot Metro for a while as my "out and about" pen but lost it - bought the 601 to replace it for variety and it seems quite solid.

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

I think what you need is a good solid spring clip an a cap that attaches solidly. My preference is a cap that screws on rather than a slip cap, but there are some very solid slip caps. Then you can clip your pen to the top of your T-shirt (clip outside) instead of putting it in a pants pocket.

As for the leaking into the cap, most pens will do this if they get knocked around. Those that do it when they aren't knocked around, are ones that have certain kinds of inks in them. Try to use Watermans, Quink, Pilot or another "safe" ink to minimize this behavior.

Dave

Kaweco often suffer of severe baby bottom.

I'd buy a Delike Alpha instead, the metal body version has a WAR AND PEACE engraved on the side, while the acrylics are very nice, come in a variety of colours (Daimao is a personal favourite), come in different nibs, Waverley or straight, both in EF, and as a bonus they do accept a standard converter unlike the Kaweco.

Levenger L-Tech seems to check your boxes.

Very solidly built.

Should be close to your budget; under if you find one used.

Flat top.

Screw-on cap.

Can’t say if it would look better after taking a beating, as mine _hasn’t_ taken a beating <g>.

Best most durable pen I own is a Parker 51 Flighter. All steel body, a shrouded nib not prone to damage and a great writer. Toss it off a building and it will still write. You'd have to lurk a bit to find one for $150 US

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

It is good to know there is no robust pen. Even with a bit of scratch, it will drive me crazy. I always carry a nice pen around. If I ever drop it, and there is a scratch, that will be the last time I will use it. The pen is flushed, dried, and put away for future generation. Go shopping buddy!

How much does a Rotring 600 go for at the moment? Those are pretty robust...

I was going to say. Those things are heavy duty.

Paige Paigen

Gemma Seymour, Founder & Designer, Paige Paigen

Daily use pens & ink: TWSBI ECO-T EF, TWSBI ECO 1.1 mm stub italic, Mrs. Stewart's Concentrated Liquid Bluing

I suggest either a Kaweco Sport (in regular plastic or the new metal ones) or a Rotring 600. I do not know how much a Rotring costs these days; the Levenger L-Tech is basically its replacement.

The only drawback with Kaweco is that they use only small international cartridge. I think there is a converter, but it's tiny.

I would not recommend a Karas Kustom. They are hardy pens, but they tend to unscrew on their own. I have one and I know. Thus, you would have the same problem as you did with the TWSBI.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen

If you like smaller pens, the Kaweco Sport is hard to beat. For something longer, Karas Kustoms are available in a variety of metals and are machined from solid metal stock...about as "bulletproof" as you can get.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

After further thought may I suggest a Koloro ? Large capacity (eye dropper), and shut off valve like the Vac 700. Far sturdier, with nice lines. Takes a screw in #5. Jowo housing.so nibs are readily available. Four colours. The larger demontrator takes a #6

Add lightness and simplicate.