Asa Pens: Another Bad Experience

raghavtlwr

Last year, I had a terrible experience with ASA Pens. I had ordered a couple of Jinhao pens, and both of them turned out defective. While one was toothy, it did write. The other simply wouldn't work!

I'm a newbie to FPs and am not comfortable on working on pens, so I asked Mr. Subramaniam to consider replacing the pens, which he agreed to do, but never got round to doing.

A year later, badly wanting to buy a Beena Lincoln Fountain Pen, I tried searching everywhere, but it was available only on ASA Pens. So I went ahead and ordered three.

But on opening the package, I was pained to find:

1. One of the boxes is already broken.
2. Two of the pens have holes on the side of the caps. This hole is originally supposed to be hidden by the clip. This is a manufacturing defect.
3. The insides of the boxes are stained, as if someone has handled them after eating food.
4. The pens have a greenish deposit on the feed, clearly visible from the sides.
5. The clips on one of the pens is bent/angled to one side. I had noticed this on some pens reviewed online, and had made a request that it be checked before being sent.
And still, this.
I've sent an email to ASA, but from experience, I feel it will simply be ignored again. ASA Pens seem to sell quality pens hand-made by Mr. Subramaniam, but the stock of other brands seems to be going through no quality control at all.
I have opened these packs today itself, and haven't even used the pens yet.
Can someone here help?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• subbucal

• raghavtlwr

• bobje

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last year, I had a terrible experience with ASA Pens. I had ordered a couple of Jinhao pens, and both of them turned out defective. While one was toothy, it did write. The other simply wouldn't work!

I'm a newbie to FPs and am not comfortable on working on pens, so I asked Mr. Subramaniam to consider replacing the pens, which he agreed to do, but never got round to doing.

A year later, badly wanting to buy a Beena Lincoln Fountain Pen, I tried searching everywhere, but it was available only on ASA Pens. So I went ahead and ordered three.

2. Two of the pens have holes on the side of the caps. This hole is originally supposed to be hidden by the clip. This is a manufacturing defect.
3. The insides of the boxes are stained, as if someone has handled them after eating food.
4. The pens have a greenish deposit on the feed, clearly visible from the sides.
5. The clips on one of the pens is bent/angled to one side. I had noticed this on some pens reviewed online, and had made a request that it be checked before being sent.
And still, this.
I've sent an email to ASA, but from experience, I feel it will simply be ignored again. ASA Pens seem to sell quality pens hand-made by Mr. Subramaniam, but the stock of other brands seems to be going through no quality control at all.
I have opened these packs today itself, and haven't even used the pens yet.
Can someone here help?

Dear Sir,

Dear Sir,

I am extremely sorry for your experience.

Regarding the Jinhaos, request you to please return them. All pens are tested and shipped, including the Jinhao's. However, in your case there seems to be an issue. will still replace them if you want with new ones as promised. But, you will have to return these back to me first for evaluation.

Regarding Lincoln pen, please note that these are 20+ years old pens. Some wear or tear of boxes, will be there, however each pen is tested, piston is lubricated by me before shipping. Functionaly you should not have an issue here.

The Clip is a high quality brass clip, from those days. Its best of quality available. Hole in cap is for air to go in, its not a defect.

However, in case you find them not suitable to your expectation, Please return it to me, will give you a full refund.

You may contact me at unik.services@hotmail.com, further on this.

Best regards

Subbey

Regarding Lincoln pen, please note that these are 20+ years old pens. Some wear or tear of boxes, will be there......

post-145060-0-87900800-1538291658_thumb.jpg

Edited by raghavtlwr

Regarding Lincoln pen, please note that these are 20+ years old pens. Some wear or tear of boxes, will be there......

Please note that this pen is relubricated, restored and repacked for retail, with sticker on stcker.

This is a norm and requiremnt we have to follow.

No means it says manufacturing date is Jun 2013.

Edited by Subbu_ASApens

One of the great qualities of FPN is the opportunity to discuss pen issues with the companies that make them. Thank you, Mr. Subramaniam, for participating here.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Dear Sir,

Dear Sir,

I am extremely sorry for your experience.

Regarding the Jinhaos, request you to please return them. All pens are tested and shipped, including the Jinhao's. However, in your case there seems to be an issue. will still replace them if you want with new ones as promised. But, you will have to return these back to me first for evaluation.

Regarding Lincoln pen, please note that these are 20+ years old pens. Some wear or tear of boxes, will be there, however each pen is tested, piston is lubricated by me before shipping. Functionaly you should not have an issue here.

The Clip is a high quality brass clip, from those days. Its best of quality available. Hole in cap is for air to go in, its not a defect.

However, in case you find them not suitable to your expectation, Please return it to me, will give you a full refund.

You may contact me at unik.services@hotmail.com, further on this.

Best regards

Subbey

re: Jinhao Pens: I have emailed you in May 2017 if I remember correctly. After that, you had sent an email regarding a replacement.

Thereafter, you have been ignoring my emails, despite your assurance to me on the phone (Whatsapp).

Sir, please try to imagine the pain of your customer. I waited a year and sent numerous reminders to you. A whole year later, when the greivance is posted publicly (on an internet Forum where many members are your customers), you are rushing to "resolve" the issue. This is highly unethical.

I have heard nothing but good about ASA Pens, but this experience is just painful.

As for your request to me to return the Jinhao pens I ordered in May 2017, I have discarded them, after more than a year of waiting, when I realised you were just ignoring my messages and giving false assurances.

re: Beena Lincoln Pens: I understand that they were not manufactured, but only re-labelled in 2013, as per your above message. Thanks for the clarification. But please do enlighten me on the points mentioned above in my original post, especially:

1. I know that there is a hole on the cap for air to escape when one handles the piston. however, this hole is supposed to be underneath the cap. It is not on two of the pens, but at some random spot on the cap.

2. One of the boxes is broken, and another close to breaking. Also, one of them has strange looking stains on the inside.

2. The feed on the pens has a greenish deposit on them, which looks like fungus. Is this normal on an ebonite nib? Can it be cleaned without damaging the pen?

3. (I have noticed this now, on closer inspection): The tops of the cap (I think these are called finials?) are misaligned There is a gap between the cap and the end-piece holding the clip, and it is aligned at an angle, causing the gap to appear on one side. One of the three pens does not suffer from this defect.

Kindly refer to the photographs sent to you by email today. I do not have a good quality camera on hand, and I don't know if the photos will do the details justice, but they should provide an idea of what's going on.

One of the great qualities of FPN is the opportunity to discuss pen issues with the companies that make them. Thank you, Mr. Subramaniam, for participating here.

Agreed! We are a rather small/niche community, aren't we?

I just wish I could have my issues resolved in email with the seller personally, rather than publicly like this, on a forum I'm trying to be a respectable member in. It's just embarrassing.

Edited by raghavtlwr

Regarding the new issue I have just seen (misaligned top part of the cap), please see the following pictures I have just taken of one of the pens.

When ordering, I had specifically requested that the pens be checked for such a defect before being sent.

Two of the pens have this defect, while one of them is about alright.

post-145060-0-34063000-1538325959_thumb.jpg

post-145060-0-66255500-1538325996_thumb.jpg

re: Jinhao Pens: I have emailed you in May 2017 if I remember correctly. After that, you had sent an email regarding a replacement.

Thereafter, you have been ignoring my emails, despite your assurance to me on the phone (Whatsapp).

Sir, please try to imagine the pain of your customer. I waited a year and sent numerous reminders to you. A whole year later, when the greivance is posted publicly (on an internet Forum where many members are your customers), you are rushing to "resolve" the issue. This is highly unethical.

I have heard nothing but good about ASA Pens, (Thank you) but this experience is just painful.

As for your request to me to return the Jinhao pens I ordered in May 2017, I have discarded them, after more than a year of waiting, when I realised you were just ignoring my messages and giving false assurances.

Please note this would have been my stand at all times.

Because you have raised it up here, I am clarifying here. If you have discarded the pen,

I am sorry I am helpless here. If you return the pen, I will refund full amount Or provide replacement. I will still honour it. But, replecement against pen only, as I am confident of every product shipping out of my stores. I personally test pens that leave my store.

re: Beena Lincoln Pens: I understand that they were not manufactured, but only re-labelled in 2013, as per your above message. Thanks for the clarification. But please do enlighten me on the points mentioned above in my original post, especially:

1. I know that there is a hole on the cap for air to escape when one handles the piston. however, this hole is supposed to be underneath the cap. It is not on two of the pens, but at some random spot on the cap.

Its not necessary that the hole should be behind clip. It may be desired. But most pens of the days of Lincoln had random placement of braether holes. I have 1000's of sample of pens with this hole is randomly placed.

2. One of the boxes is broken, and another close to breaking. Also, one of them has strange looking stains on the inside.

Already clarified. Box could have broken while transit. if you see these boxes are very old. These are examples of a bygone era, there could be marks of wear and tear. Please understand that these boxes are collectibles in whatever state.

I will replace the box f reqd.However with some modern pen box if you wish.

2. The feed on the pens has a greenish deposit on them, which looks like fungus. Is this normal on an ebonite nib? Can it be cleaned without damaging the pen?

Just wipe and use sir. I have tested the nib for performnce. There will be no issue. No damage will happen.

3. (I have noticed this now, on closer inspection): The tops of the cap (I think these are called finials?) are misaligned There is a gap between the cap and the end-piece holding the clip, and it is aligned at an angle, causing the gap to appear on one side. One of the three pens does not suffer from this defect.

These are not defects at all. I think the parcel has got battered in transit. The broken boxes also point towards it. Just screw in the top button, as i guess it has got misalligned in transit.

Kindly refer to the photographs sent to you by email today. I do not have a good quality camera on hand, and I don't know if the photos will do the details justice, but they should provide an idea of what's going on.

Please shrae pictures here. I will want to sort this for you here itself. Also, it will be infrmative to all concerned.

Agreed! We are a rather small/niche community, aren't we?

I just wish I could have my issues resolved in email with the seller personally, rather than publicly like this, on a forum I'm trying to be a respectable member in. It's just embarrassing.

With all due respects to you, since you have raised it at a public forum, lets sort this out here. I have never had the intention to ignore your messages nor not resolve. What happened is only a miss from me. Today, also i tried to reach you over a call.

Please find my replies above.

Thanks a lot Bobjje.

I am glad that we have suc a wonderful platform. I owe much to this community and all the support of FPN members.

Dear Mr. Talwar,

I have tried my best to clarify the issues raised.

I still request you that in case you do not wish to hold these pens. You are welcome to return them against full refund. No questions asked. As a policy i will do it.

I will also replace the Jinhao pen, bougth by you a year back or give you full refund, but only against return of actal product. I am oka to also bear the return charges.

Please let me know here.

To the larger community of fountain pen afficados and future buyers :-

The said pen Beena Lincoln is a classic example from late 90s. The box design, packing, the pen, clip and the nib used (Threaded nib with piston filler) are all remnisecent of an era. Glorious era of fountain pens in India.

Its by defination a MINT and NOS and Vintage and each pen is given attention and restored to function well.

These pens are NOS (New Old Stock), well maintained and directly obtained from the OEM who made this. Please note the following:-

1. The Clip in this pen is one of the best. Its sturdy and its a brass clip, which is rare these days in low priced pens.
  2. The Box is a gift box. Has a velvet layer. Because of the sheer vintage of these boxes, the velvet may have some odd marks of wear. But box in itself is a collectible.
  3. Its seen as a practise that the breather hole, in cap is randomly placed by most Indian OEMs in many pens. The area below the clip maybe a desired place, but most pens have it randomly placed. I have numerous examples. So its no way a defect.
  4. Each pen is dip tested, for writing and washed. The piston is tested for perfrmance and lubricated. Its sometimes possible because of the inking, washing and hadling some marks may remain in the feed. These can be removed by wiping with a dry cloth. These are not defective product.
  5. The Price and Packing sticker in most of these boxes is of 2013. But the manufacturing is from lates 90's. For retail purpose, each have undergone atleast 3 times, repacking and stickering over a sticker, by the OEM to keep it relevantly priced and packed to date. Last such labelling has happened in 2013.

Here is a link to my listing.http://asapens.in/eshop/beena-lincoln-fountain-pen

I was fortunate to get a big conignment of these pens, right from the OEM who made these in those days. Its a delightful pen and a treasure.

Here are reviews of the pen from some other people. Review-1, Review-2, Review-3