Italix Chaplin's Tankard

Pete-M

Kursaal, a very helpful first post! Many, many thanks!!

Can someone tell me if the Chaplain's Tankard takes the same screw-in nib units as the Parson's Essential? I'd love it if I could swap nibs between the pens.

I contacted Mr. Pens last week about this, and they told me they are not interchangeable between those models.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• Pete-M

• pjford

• TSherbs

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I contacted Mr. Pens last week about this, and they told me they are not interchangeable between those models.

D'oh! Sad news but thanks for the information.

I wonder if that's technically the case or just not recommended because they don't want to be responsible for people messing up their pens. The Parson's Essential uses a JoWo #5 nib unit and the Captain's Tankard nib looks very similar with the same scrollwork and all. It also appears to have a screw-in nib unit like on the PE.

Edited by TruthPil

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

My CT cleared US Customs 3 days ago and hasn't moved an inch since. Anxious and getting irked.

C

Oh, I know this of myself

I assume as much for other people

We’ve listened more to life’s end gong

Than the sound of life’s sweet bells

Kursaal, a very helpful first post! Many, many thanks!!

Can someone tell me if the Chaplain's Tankard takes the same screw-in nib units as the Parson's Essential? I'd love it if I could swap nibs between the pens.

No, sorry, also it is a size 6 nib in the Tankard.

http://mrpen.co.uk/contents/media/flowlittle.png www.mrpen.co.uk

No, sorry, also it is a size 6 nib in the Tankard.

Thanks for the information, Mr. Ford! It's also really great news to know that the Tankard uses a size 6 nib.

Now if I can just convince my wife to let me buy one after I've already exhausted my pen budget for the year....

Can anyone with the Tankard and the Churchman Prescriptor compare both pens?.. The Tankard is significantly cheaper, I would like to know why?

Thanks in advance,

C.

The Prescriptor has a Taiwanese made barrel, cap, German made Jowo Nib and Schmidt converter. The Tankard is made for us entirely in China, where the cost savings are significant.

http://mrpen.co.uk/contents/media/flowlittle.png www.mrpen.co.uk

THANKS SO MUCH for the iNFO !!

I am in love with your JOWO nibs (the Broad Cursive Stub in particular)... so what I get now is that the tankard does not have JOWO nibs.

C.

The Prescriptor has a Taiwanese made barrel, cap, German made Jowo Nib and Schmidt converter. The Tankard is made for us entirely in China, where the cost savings are significant.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info that the Essential nib unit is not compatible with the Tankard. Now my question is, what is compatible? I bent the nib on my tankard and very much want to replace it with something so I can continue using it.

Does anyone know what I can put in there, without spending as much on shipping and assembly as I did/would on another pen?

thanks!

C

Have you tried any other #6 nibs to see if they fit? Even though it doesn't come with a JoWo maybe a JoWo #6 nib will fit with the Tankard's original feed.

I need the entire screw-in nib assembly. But thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Season Greetings!

The pen arrives yesterday and writes out of the box. The extra broad cursive is board and wet.

Would anybody know if it is easy to swab nib? I have some B nib lying around.

I try to pull the nib out, but no success - maybe I just did not pull hard enough, as I do not want to break anything.

Would a JoWo 6 nib fits?

Any info welcome.

Cheers, Happy Holidays,

Ben

got mine with an O3B and I hate it.

The pen itself feels really cheap, the "piston fill" is a joke, the knob stuck on the end of a converter barely works and feels horrible to use.

If anyone wants it, I'll let it go for $20 plus shipping.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I am sorry to hear that.

I love the weight and screw cap. The extra broad cursive is smooth, but it writes excellently on some paper, and not on others.

I thought it was very well built.

I still like broad nib with tipping.

got mine with an O3B and I hate it.

The pen itself feels really cheap, the "piston fill" is a joke, the knob stuck on the end of a converter barely works and feels horrible to use.

If anyone wants it, I'll let it go for $20 plus shipping.

What are your thoughts about the nib? I was thinking of getting the nibs because of the unique grinds.

What are your thoughts about the nib? I was thinking of getting the nibs because of the unique grinds.

People have amazing thoughts on them but I really don't like the two I have. I have a medium cursive stub and it's absolutely nothing I couldn't make better with some 1800 grit sandpaper, micro mesh, and a pair of flush cut pliers. It's decent but I actually took the nib out and set it aside, swapping in a knox OBB. It wasn't particularly smooth or consistent.

The O3B is okay. it's nowhere near what people praise. it's catchy and INSANELY sensitive to writing angle, you must write very slowly or it'll skip like mad, so it sucks as a signature nib. The feed can't keep up at all.

Neither nib was outwardly bad, neither were scratchy or misaligned or too dry or too wet. I just am not impressed with most untipped steel nibs anymore. Now, if either was tipped, we'd be talking, but they're really just unremarkable, decently made untipped steel nibs. I'd recommend a wing sung 698 with a pilot plumix nib over either one.

I have a churchman's prescriptor and I was more impressed with the body of that pen than the nib.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Neither nib was outwardly bad, neither were scratchy or misaligned or too dry or too wet. I just am not impressed with most untipped steel nibs anymore. Now, if either was tipped, we'd be talking, but they're really just unremarkable, decently made untipped steel nibs. I'd recommend a wing sung 698 with a pilot plumix nib over either one.

I'm not fan of untipped nibs either, especially after getting some vintage tipped italics and stubs.

Funny you should mention the 698 because lately I've been enjoying mine with a 78G broad italic (basically a gold-colored version of the Plumix nib).

People have amazing thoughts on them but I really don't like the two I have. I have a medium cursive stub and it's absolutely nothing I couldn't make better with some 1800 grit sandpaper, micro mesh, and a pair of flush cut pliers. It's decent but I actually took the nib out and set it aside, swapping in a knox OBB. It wasn't particularly smooth or consistent.

The O3B is okay. it's nowhere near what people praise. it's catchy and INSANELY sensitive to writing angle, you must write very slowly or it'll skip like mad, so it sucks as a signature nib. The feed can't keep up at all.

I have a churchman's prescriptor and I was more impressed with the body of that pen than the nib.

How did you switch the nib? Did you get it out of the assembly or find another that fit?

I was very unimpressed with the broad cursive mine came with.

C

I like the pen very much - screw cap, ?taking a number 6 nib.

I agree with the nib - writes very well with certain paper, but in the hospital, the paper is not great and sometimes nothing comes out.

I guess I should pull harder to see if fits with a Jowo 6 with tipping.

Any suggestion?

ben

HaHa, I pulled harder, the nib came out, but not the feed.

Italix's nib curvature at the base is slightly different to the JoWo nibs I have.

I brute force push it in, and luckily it fits.

Now it is broad and wet.

I am happy, very happy. Screw cap, B and heavy for $20+ - hard to find!