Purdey Pens And Ink

horationelson

Tom,

Matching the Writers Editions with their namesake's beverage would be a great thread.

Black ink: surely Guinness. Irish Green ink: Bushmills, maybe Jameson. Shakespeare Velvet Red: mead? The possibilities are endless to enhance these inks and, with careful quality control of the key ingredient, one's literary output!

Tony

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mjchuang9

• Cyrille81

• horationelson

• Tom Kellie

Nope. Mead isn't that color (my husband has made it... which lead to a very, um, interesting conversation with the former Chief of Police when my husband was on the Police Procedures Review Board for our town... :rolleyes:). And green? I don't think I'd really like creme de menthe ink (and certainly would NOT like "green beer ink" for St. Patrick's Day...).

Of course, for a lot less money one might try some of the "alcohol" flavor inks that De Atramentis makes -- there are several different "wine" inks and I think some beer and whiskey ones as well.... Personally, I'm not not diluting my inks with my good single malt!

Also, it just occurred to me -- alcohol can be really bad for some barrel materials and feeds.... So, not a good plan in general. :(

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I find the single malt whisky snell a slight gimmick.

I much prefer some of the winter spice/pine smells of the winter scented inks back in 2007-10

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

fpn_1541235958__img_1208.jpg

I am looking for a walnut fountain pen for a long time, although Graf Von Faber Castell had pronounced pen of the year 2010 walnut wood fountain pen. This could be the ultimate wood fountain pen for me not to mention made by Caucasian walnut. The quality and precision is superior to the former Humboldt and L'Aubrac made by granadilla wood in my opinion. I intended to have a nib exchange for OB, however as usual for such a beautiful pen I cannot bear the anxiety to separate from it. ;)

Edited by mjchuang9

fpn_1541235958__img_1208.jpg

I am looking for a walnut fountain pen for a long time, although Graf Von Faber Castell had pronounced pen of the year 2010 walnut wood fountain pen. This could be the ultimate wood fountain pen for me not to mention made by Caucasian walnut. The quality and precision is superior to the former Humboldt and L'Aubrac made by granadilla wood in my opinion. I intended to have a nib exchange for OB, however as usual for such a beautiful pen I cannot bear the anxiety to separate from it. ;)

Beautiful!!! Just in time for winter I would say, your set up looks perfect for a cozy drink by the fire place in a cigar lounge!

Beautiful pic! I enjoyed learning about the various techniques that went into the gun-making despite the fact that it's a gun. This is one pen I would fork over the money for if I had the resources for it :) (Luckily I can enjoy the same contrast of smoky wood and pvd in my GvFC Macassar.)

@Pravda Your imagination is wonderful, nothing can be better than this.

@oregano Thank you for your kind words. I hope you enjoy the Macassar as well.

I cannot wait for the Purdey ink, what else should I ink?

• 2 weeks later...

Handled one of these pens in the Montblanc boutique on the weekend and was totally blown away by the craftsmanship and tactile nature of the wood. The pattern, inlay and finish on the pen was really something special, and this is coming from someone who doesnt like wood fountain pens. Absolutely stunning pen in person... must... resist...

Congratulations mjchuang9! A very nice purchase. Does the pen have warranty on the wood expansion/contraction? Perhaps Im scared from Omas wooden pens that seem to split quite regularly.

Edited by CeeElle

Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones.
Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms

Handled one of these pens in the Montblanc boutique on the weekend and was totally blown away by the craftsmanship and tactile nature of the wood. The pattern, inlay and finish on the pen was really something special, and this is coming from someone who doesnt like wood fountain pens. Absolutely stunning pen in person... must... resist...

Congratulations mjchuang9! A very nice purchase. Does the pen have warranty on the wood expansion/contraction? Perhaps Im scared from Omas wooden pens that seem to split quite regularly.

Thank you CeeElle. The craftsmanship and assembling is the highest standard of all the wood pens as I have seen. I don't think there is extra warranty o the wood, but the Purdey seems to be processed specially on the wood's surface, maybe oiled, it has a warm touch. All my wooden pens don't crack or split including Omas. Now the single malt Purdey ink has been arrived, maybe I will write to be drunk. :lol:

Edited by mjchuang9

The pen really looks great, congrats on your purchase!

Maybe you could write a little review of the pen and the ink? Does anyone know why Montblanc doesn't make more of their pens out of wood? Would be a great addition to their other series in my opinion.

Some photo of the Purdey pen I took this morning at my local reseller shop:

45999001791_ec5c4027e5_c.jpg 45274898764_863c76c822_c.jpg

31060115327_346b81fef4_c.jpg 31060115207_abc091aba7_c.jpg

It is a really nice pen and great work of the MB and Purdey artisans!

Compare and contrast please ?

Is it good enough to be finding a place in your collection ?

I am strongly considered this and the LE metamorphosis next...

Compare and contrast please ?

Is it good enough to be finding a place in your collection ?

I am strongly considered this and the LE metamorphosis next...

It is a good pen and the sculptures in the pen are really great and it is an uncommon pen as made by wood so it is a good piece to have in a collection but it is little bit too expensive for me for the moment :)

The Purdey and the LE metamorphosis are very different pens but they are both really nice. I have the metamorphosis and I really like it. So I think the best is to try to see both in real to compare them and decide the one you prefer or buy the both if you can and like them :)

Can someone post a review of the Purdey ink detailing its writing characteristics? Also, a written sample using various nib sizes?? I'm quite intrigued by this ink. I will be waiting with eager anticipation and curiosity!

To be honest, the Purdey is a little bit dry, and the color is nothing special. I don’t care much about the single malt scents. It is weird that you smell what you write.