The New Cross Townsend Ferrari

PenHero

Hi, Folks!

We just received the new Cross Townsend Ferrari line so we could take photos of them. The Townsend models are really attractive. We will post more in this thread as we photograph them.

This is the Cross Townsend Ferrari Glossy Black Lacquer fountain pen new for 2018. The 5.9 inch long pen has a two-tone plated 18 karat gold nib and rhodium plated trim with red accents. The metal cap and barrel are finished with glossy black lacquer. The clip is designed to evoke the nose and cockpit of a Formula 1 racecar. The fountain pen retails for $400, the rollerball pen is $200 and the ballpoint pen is $175.

These pens are now available direct from Cross and Cross dealers.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/CrossTownsendFerrariBlackFP_1280_01a.jpg

Thanks!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• Honeybadgers

• 1nkulus

• inkstainedruth

Is this the first time that a "badge" has been attached to the original pen, as opposed to the common corporate add-on? I hope it doesn't become a regular feature of the range.

"They come as a boon and a blessing to men,
the Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley Pen."

Is this the first time that a "badge" has been attached to the original pen, as opposed to the common corporate add-on? I hope it doesn't become a regular feature of the range.

I think this is the first time the Townsend has a custom clip and badge, other than for the corporate market.

I think this is the first time the Townsend has a custom clip and badge, other than for the corporate market.

Agreed. I don't have any other Townsends in my collection that come "from the factory" with a badge on the clip like this.

Definitely looking forward to adding these three new pens to my Townsen collection (and the 2019 Year o' the Pig). Unfortunately that's a big chunk of change, so I'm probably going to have to wait awhile and hope to find a bargain.

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

Do you know how these compare with the Sheaffer Ferrari pens? I was tempted by them (especially the red) a couple of years ago, but never actually tried one.

I'm presuming that now that Cross owns Sheaffer, they've released them under their own brand name (rather than as Sheaffers), but was wondering if they were just relabeled, or if they were actually a different model (i.e., specifically a Cross model that just had the Ferrari branding).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Visually (from photos on-line) it looks similar to the Sheaffer Ferrari 100 with an upgrade in the trim rings.

Probably! :lol:

Definitely :lol: One 'little bit extra' leads to another and you end up having a hobby.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

The new Cross Ferrari pens are based on existing Cross models. The Sheaffer Ferrari pens were based on existing Sheaffer models.

+1

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Looks nice! If I could afford a Ferrari, I would definately buy this pen to go with it!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

No! It's either the car OR the pen. To do both would be... well, I think the technical term is "matchy matchy".

"They come as a boon and a blessing to men,
the Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley Pen."

No! It's either the car OR the pen. To do both would be... well, I think the technical term is "matchy matchy".

:lticaptd:

​I suppose that the ideal situation would be to get the pen and the Lego Bugatti I saw on the news today.... (Ok, it's not a Ferrari -- and it only goes 19 MPH. But still.... :rolleyes:)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

IMO, Cross and Ferrari are an odd combo. OTOH, a carbon fiber Cross would be more in keeping.

A Tibaldi Supersports FP for Bentley, as an example.

Engineer :

• 9 months later...

I just picked up the red one from Amazon. Brand new, snazzy box with a rhodium nib for £110 (£137 equivalent). It's very nice and worth that for the nib alone..... It's basically the 'reverse' of the black one - where you see black, imagine red, and vice versa..... Looking at UK Amazon now, it was their last one at that price. Now being offered for £324.85 ($406)..... :)

Edited by Aysedasi

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

• 4 weeks later...

Ew. It's hideous. That clip just looks horrendous and makes the pen look cheap.

But I also despise all auto branded stuff. I'm the biggest Aprilia motorcycle fanboy on earth and when my dad got me an Aprilia sweatshirt, I had to ask him for the gift receipt. I felt bad, but I was never, EVER going to wear it.

I don't mind something like the porsche pens because they are a bespoke pen that looks like any other pen made by any other pen maker, and it doesn't have a big fat porsche badge on it.

Ferrari are just corporate sellouts and have been since Enzo died. They make umpteen millions more from ferrari branded hats and cologne than they do selling cars.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• 2 weeks later...

Each to his own. Mine is a stunning pen and I'm not in the least bit bothered about the additional branding. Puzzled why you would never wear the sweatshirt either.....

Edited by Aysedasi

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

Each to his own. Mine is a stunning pen and I'm not in the least bit bothered about the additional branding. Puzzled why you would never wear the sweatshirt either.....

I know it's just a personal thing, and taste is utterly subjective. I just think branded things are beyond tacky. I'd wear an Aprilia shirt if I was on their MotoGP team, but otherwise, it's pointless. Nothing I own is outwardly branded (obviously a watch can have its brand on the face or a shirt can have the brand on the collar) apart from my rescue medic shirt that I only wear when I'm working at the race track.

I just don't have any respect for Ferrari whoring out their brand. It cheapens the feeling of special-ness that they're supposed to have. I don't want to see a ferrari badge anywhere but on a ferrari car. The same rule applies to everything. You're allowed to put your brand on products you make or have specially commissioned for you (for example the Porsche) and you do your due diligence to work your brand into the design subtly (again, the porsche pens follow the car's design language, something I can very much respect) but beyond that, your company is just being a corporate monstrosity and I don't appreciate that kind of "money for money's sake" behavior. But that doesn't mean that I'm going to look down on anyone who DOES like the look of a ferrari shirt or pen and wants to wear/use them. My problem is with the company, not you.

And my dad didn't care. It was just a generic sweatshirt. If it really meant a lot to him to get it for me, I'd have worn it for his sake. I don't necessarily love the FZ-1 motorcycle he gave me, but the bike meant a lot to him, and by extension, I'm not going to ever get rid of it.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)