Delike New Moon 3 Metal Body

kataro.miamoto

I've just ordered this pen for myself. I might have got the nib wrong. I want an F but opted for the 0.6 mm nib. I'm slow when it comes to numbers - did I order an EF instead of an F?

As far as I'm aware, this model of pen is normally only offered with a regular EF nib (usually described as being 0.38mm), a regular M nib, or a 'bent EF' nib (like a mini Fude de Mannen nib, and usually described as being 0.6mm); there is no F nib option.

The bent EF nib is actually pretty good and the most versatile of the three... if you are comfortable with holding the pen at different angles to the paper, and even 'reverse-writing' (i.e. with the nib slit facing down towards the page and the bottom of the feed facing away), from time to time.

Just like I've written earlier in the thread, reverse-writing with the bent EF nib results in a finer than the regular EF nib (writing in normal orientation).

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• Garibaldi

• vojtahlad

• Mech-for-i

Thank you for the clarification! I've been a bit confused looking up this pen on different websites. I'm looking forward to playing around with the bent EF nib (will confirm with the seller, JIC). I actually want to focus on nibs, inks and paper so am glad this versatile nib is on the way. Have you tried the M nib? Would you perhaps have writing samples of both these nibs?

"When in doubt, write."

-- Bangalore, India

I haven't tried the M nib, even though when I bought my three New Moon 3 pens, they were offered and packaged with a spare M nib (while fitted with a bent or regular EF nib) each.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• 3 weeks later...

fpn_1564714464__my_five_delike_new_moon_

I've just received two new colours of the Delike New Moon 3 (shown above on the right).

The dark green is rather darker than I expected, almost a Sailor Shikiori miruai kinda colour, and the dark blue is far more purple than I thought it would be, kinda like Pilot Iroshizuku asa-gao.

I have now tested the three types of nibs available for this pen model for side by side comparison, using the same ink (in the same converter) on the same sheet of paper. (And which nib did I end up deciding to order for gifts? Not any of those, actually.)

In my opinion, this is still the most comfortable body to house the very good delike bent nib. It’s very short though so I’m looking forward to delike producing more models. I have a hexagonal times pen, the delike alpha and neither is as comfortable as this one. The new Brass pen doesn’t look that different from the alpha in terms of grip and body. I think there’s another shaeffer style pen but section looks horribly narrow compared to body. Am i missing a model?

@MuddyWaters I'm sure you can put the bent EF nib in a Delike Shepherd Boy (which is not a pen model I'd recommend), Delike Submarine (which I really like) or its 'Handmade Natural Wood Barrel' sibling with the rattlesnake tail finial. Of course, there is also the original New Moon and the New Moon 2.

My Delike Times had issues out-of-the-box, but now that I applied my fixes, it's proven to be a very comfortable pen to my way of writing, and quite effective at sealing the nib and feed with minimal ink evaporation when capped.

@MuddyWaters I'm sure you can put the bent EF nib in a Delike Shepherd Boy (which is not a pen model I'd recommend), Delike Submarine (which I really like) or its 'Handmade Natural Wood Barrel' sibling with the rattlesnake tail finial. Of course, there is also the original New Moon and the New Moon 2.

My Delike Times had issues out-of-the-box, but now that I applied my fixes, it's proven to be a very comfortable pen to my way of writing, and quite effective at sealing the nib and feed with minimal ink evaporation when capped.

Thanks for the index of models. Since getting a jinhao 51 I do not trust wooden models to maintain a good weight balance, but your submarines look really pretty. The doubt I have with the submarine (since all of this is related to ergonomics) is the likely weight imbalance between the brass section and the wood or acrylic body.

The new moon 2 seems like the most straight forward candidate (longer, no step down at the section), but the price is putting me off for now (surprisingly this acrylic model is 4 times the price of the new moon 3 which is all metal... Or maybe that is not surprising). I'd have to see more videos to decide.

Because of these hesitations, I've started to compare my penbbs upturned nib to the delike's to see if i already had a bigger bodied pen with a mini bent nib that I would like. Ultimately, I believe the delike bent nib is better than the penbbs' (smoother, slightly more surface area on the page) but I still started to consider the penbbs 352 with bent nib as potential option for a comfortable pen with such a nib.

Also, I even started to consider a pilot custom 912 with Waverley nib, but I think that that would be excessive, and that I have more testing to do...

... I do not trust wooden models to maintain a good weight balance, but your submarines look really pretty. The doubt I have with the submarine (since all of this is related to ergonomics) is the likely weight imbalance between the brass section and the wood or acrylic body.

The Delike New Moon 3 and 'Handmade Nature Wood Barrel' pens, with converters installed, respectively:

fpn_1565057328__balance_of_the_delike_nm

The new moon 2 seems like the most straight forward candidate (longer, no step down at the section), but the price is putting me off for now (surprisingly this acrylic model is 4 times the price of the new moon 3 which is all metal... Or maybe that is not surprising).

I personally don't set a target price (or form an opinion of what the asking or market price "ought to be") for individual pen models on the basis of the cost of materials and manufacture alone. It's obvious that the New Moon 2 would provide a different writing experience from the NM3, and at under $30 they're all about as expendable as as each other as far as I'm concerned. It's just that I don't think the acrylic on any of the NM2 options currently available look that attractive, compared to some of the Delike Alpha models or Moonman models (and I already have maybe a dozen of those pens).

No wonder the new moon 3, though short, feels like perfection in the hand. :D

Is that a brass end on the submarine? Looks like the pen is not front heavy at all. Thanks for putting up those really helpful pics. That is probably an experiment I should be doing on my pens.

Is that a brass end on the submarine?

I think the rattlesnake tail finial on the Delike 'Handmade Nature Wood Barrel' pen is brass, yes. However, the Delike Submarine, like the Jinhao 51A, has no end finial.

fpn_1565063433__balance_of_the_delike_su

Thanks for putting up those really helpful pics.

You're welcome.

• 4 weeks later...

What kind of cartridge does delike moon fit,please? the converter included looks like a japan platinum brand.. :unsure:

Edited by Mr.Rene

International short ('standard') cartridges. I used a Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black in one for testing a little while earlier, even though I almost never use ink cartridges myself.

I don't know whether a longer cartridge with the same 'mouth' or 'nipple' will fit inside the barrel of a Delike New Moon 3. I tried fitting two short cartridges back-to-back inside, and that didn't work. It's one of the reasons why I ended up deciding on giving my friends Jinhao 51A pens instead at an upcoming event.

Edited by A Smug Dill

International short ('standard') cartridges. I used a Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black in one for testing a little while earlier, even though I almost never use ink cartridges myself.

I don't know whether a longer cartridge with the same 'mouth' or 'nipple' will fit inside the barrel of a Delike New Moon 3. I tried fitting two short cartridges back-to-back inside, and that didn't work. It's one of the reasons why I ended up deciding on giving my friends Jinhao 51A pens instead at an upcoming event.

I tried a Pelikan Eldestein Catridge and some chinese no brand cartridge..both did not work. pelikan was to small and the chinese cartridge was to wide.The Delike Moon's nipple is between those sizes... :unsure: :gaah:

Well, like I said, I'm using a Pelikan 4001 ink cartridge with the pen.

fpn_1567214502__delike_new_moon_3_with_a

Pelikan use the de facto standard with a 2.4mm opening ; Delike use the Chinese de facto aka Hero C/C which had a 2.6mm opening ; the Chinese wide throat C/C is of opening of 3.2mm aka Parker / Lamy / Aurora standard