Pelikan M800 Or M1000

BinaryRun

Hello Fountain Pen friends,

Here with a quick question that I'll try to keep short because really, I know that it isn't something that cannot be easily answered. So instead let me rephrase it:

Would you recommend the M800 or M1000 for me and which nib size?

A little bit of info that you might like to know to be able to advice me. I'm new to fountain pens, but my eye has fallen on these pens because of the build quality, the amazing looking nib and the fact that they have a broader grip and weigh more then the other Pelikan's.

I'd like to use the pen for everyday writing, but it will not be used as a pocket pen. It will go into a pen sleeve or something similar to that while going from one place to the other. The main usage will be at home or at work. At home I'll mainly use Clairefontaine and sometimes Rhodia paper. At work it will touch lower grade / 80gsm inkjet paper as well because that's how things go at schools and office buildings these days.

I'm a tall guy and as a result I have particularly long slim fingers or piano fingers as we call it here. That is why I prefer a longer pen then standard such as these pens, as well as a longer grip section because longer fingers means less finer motor skills in my particular case. The pen will be used for quick notes as well as about 2-3 A4 sized paper writing at a time.

I think I will really enjoy to have a little bit of line variation in the nib on occasion, particularly when writing at the end of a letter. So that I can write things like "Kind Regards" with a slightly fancier K and R then the rest of the letter to make it stand out. Or making a long loop / downstroke when doing an L for example, but nothing too fancy or actual flex.

So aside from that, I'd love some advice on the nib size. I enjoy writing quite small, although I will occasionally write a bit larger. I'm leaning towards finding a smoother and wetter nib, in order to bring out the shading in inks such as Noodler's Habanero better. I have nothing against a hint of feedback, but no tooth / scratchyness please because that makes me shiver.

Currently leaning towards a <Fine> nib, as I heard that Pelikan's (particularly the M1000) can run fairly wet and I'm worried that the EF can be scratchy.

I appreciate all advice!

Kind regards,

BinaryRun

P.S. Attached an example of some of my smaller handwriting on standard lined paper and what I'd like to do with line variation. Although I can write a bit larger if I have too and I probably will with a non-ballpoint pen due to the wider and more comfortable grip section.

In case you are wondering why I'm asking here instead of trying out the pens myself. I'm unable to go to a B&M store as the closest one is at least a 5 hour round trip and I cannot do that with public transport and not having a car. Also the prices in the Netherlands are about 250USD more then if I order it online from several stores in the UK or German Amazon, so I'd rather go with that option and ask your advice here. I have actually tried a M200 from a colleague of mine and while the spring and the nib were nice, it was far too light and small for me.)

On a sidenote, I'm thinking of engraving the pen as it's kind of a milestone reward for myself due to other real life things. There is one UK company that actually offers their own engraving, but they are a bit more expensive (Niche Pens / pelikanpens.co.uk) then stores that don't offer it like Cult Pens. Would you recommend that I let them do the engraving or would it look good even if I get the engraving done later on at a local store?

post-145366-0-79883900-1537116967_thumb.jpg
post-145366-0-75924600-1537116963_thumb.jpg
Edited by BinaryRun

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BinaryRun

• minddance

• 1nkulus

• The Good Captain

I have a number of M800s and am very happy with them. Nibs are Ef & F and I've had no issues with them at all. Although I've no experience of the M1000 range, they are large pens and I believe their nibs are more springy or flexible that other Pelikan ones - perhaps not best suited to longer spells of writing like the other, smaller ones. Mu hands are small with comparitively thin fingers but the 800 is oerfectly comfortable, as are the 600 and 400/200 ranges.

Other people will probably comment differently but these are my thoughts.

I'm not sure about the engraving - always under the impression that personalisation is all well and good as long as the pen remains with the original owner. Maybe it could be difficult to sell at a later stage if that became necessary.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

No.

Each pen and person is different.
Find a brick and mortar store where you can try the individual pens that you are interested in and decide for yourself.

You may love what everyone else hates, and hate what everyone else loves.

You really want people whom you don't know and have never met decide what you should spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on?

If buying new or recent edition Pelikan's....

The M800 has nibs as hard as nails. It has better balance than the M1000. It comes in an array of styles and colours. It tends to be less expensive than the M1000. It's still large enough to suit large hands.

The M1000 has limited options in finishes. The nib is huge and springy (some complain it is mushy and don't like it). The plastic has a satisfying quality feel. Some complain it is too big posted and the balance isn't quite right unposted. It's better to have large hands.

I have a number of M800s and am very happy with them. Nibs are Ef & F and I've had no issues with them at all. Although I've no experience of the M1000 range, they are large pens and I believe their nibs are more springy or flexible that other Pelikan ones - perhaps not best suited to longer spells of writing like the other, smaller ones. Mu hands are small with comparitively thin fingers but the 800 is oerfectly comfortable, as are the 600 and 400/200 ranges.

Other people will probably comment differently but these are my thoughts.

I'm not sure about the engraving - always under the impression that personalisation is all well and good as long as the pen remains with the original owner. Maybe it could be difficult to sell at a later stage if that became necessary.

I'm not planning to sell it ever. Although I'm sure that many others have said so as well. I'm terrible at selling my stuff and especially firsts. Appreciarte your comments on the feel of the nibs as well. Glad to hear that even the EF doesn't feel toothy to you.

If buying new or recent edition Pelikan's....

The M800 has nibs as hard as nails. It has better balance than the M1000. It comes in an array of styles and colours. It tends to be less expensive than the M1000. It's still large enough to suit large hands.

The M1000 has limited options in finishes. The nib is huge and springy (some complain it is mushy and don't like it). The plastic has a satisfying quality feel. Some complain it is too big posted and the balance isn't quite right unposted. It's better to have large hands.

Thank you very much for the advice, particularly on the different nib's properties for both models.

No.

Each pen and person is different.

Find a brick and mortar store where you can try the individual pens that you are interested in and decide for yourself.

You may love what everyone else hates, and hate what everyone else loves.

You really want people whom you don't know and have never met decide what you should spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on?

I was merely asking for opinions and views. To me it isn't possible to go for a B&M store and advice is always appreciated.

I am in the M1000 camp (mushy nib and large girth work for me) whereas others might go with M800.

I understand you are unable to get to a B&M store, perhaps a local pen club/meet/friends.

Pens are very personal and no amount of advice can decide how you may/may not 'feel' about a particular pen/model.

In the end, you will still be taking a punt and may have to get both. :D

IMO, M1000 EF paired with a dry ink (if you find it too wet).

(A few dry inks to start off: Pelikan 4001, R&K Salix, R&K Scabiosa, Pelikan Edelstein, Lamy Blue)

You will have plenty of color options with the M800.

The M1000 is just black and green stripe (there is likely to be another color addition in 4-6 months).

Nib options are same for both models.

Edited by 1nkulus

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

I have several of both.

For utility and prolonged writing, I'd go with the M80x any given time. It's just the perfect weight/size for me.

The 1000 is more of a "fun" pen to me. That little bounce of the nib is just too damn satisfying.

Now, your next dilemma will be finding the right nib. Keep one thing in mind : for some reason Pelikan sizing runs much wider than pretty much anyone else in the industry. I swear that their EF is any sane man's Medium(on the wide side a that)

-k

I have both. For me, I can imagine myself writing everyday with m800. But my 800 is in medium so it doesn't get much use. Still, I use it more than my m1000f.

You might be happy with a m800ef.

I can visualise myself writing everyday with a m600ef.

I had an M1000 but the nib was really horrible. It was a broad - normally my bag - but it ran overwide, was stupidly springy and it was a horrible thing to write with. Replacement nibs are also prohibitively expensive for me. I now have an M800, which I like a lot, even thought after trying three different nibs, I still haven't found the one for me yet.... I should perhaps add that both of the pens were used. I can't afford to buy one of these new.

Edited by Aysedasi

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

Thank you everyone for the answers. It does show that it will indeed be better for me to try out the pen in person before I purchase any. However a fountain pen that I was going to return to a store as I didn't like it, accidentally got damaged and now I'm no longer able to avoid a Pelikan m800 or m1000. I'll go and lookout for the right pen for me in a lower price range, but it might still be a Pelikan.

Thank you all regardless for the help.

Sincerely,

BinaryRun

P.S. For those interested, it is a Pilot Custom 923 with very slight damage. I'm thinking about sending that one to a nibmeister for a full repair and to make fitting for Spencerian handlettering and then buy a different pen for day-to-day usage. You know what, I didn't want this to happen, but now I'm actually quite excited. :)

Edited by BinaryRun

I once had this dilemma, so you see, I ended up with the m800 and m1000, and happily so.

The ideal situation, having best of both world's. :D

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

I prefer the 1000 over the 800 for a couple reasons. The 1000 nib has a little spring whereas the 800 feels hard to me. Neither give great line variation but the 1000 does a little more so. The 1000 sticks out of my shirt pocket quite a bit but if you aren going to carry it in a case that shouldn’t be a problem. Either way, both are great pens!

I have a number of M800's and one M1000. The wetness of the M1000 made it nearly unsuable for me. I had Mike Masuyama thin it down a bit and make it dryer and I now enjoy it. I like my 800's with fine or extra fine nibs. My suggestion would lean more toward a M800.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!