Kaco Edge New Pen... Anyone ?

kataro.miamoto

I've been looking at this pen and the generally positive reviews with interest. Can anyone tell me whether the clip can be removed or replaced? The clip design is kind of a deal-breaker as far as I'm concerned.

Doesn't look easy to remove, and I think the weight of the clip is intended to balance the pen, which definitely feels better when posted.

I personally like a lot the minimal design in real, the clip feels good in the hand it contrast the feeling of the pen material.

And is absolutely a stunning pen to write with, as many said nib and feeder are impressive at this price point.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• penzel_washinkton

• Garibaldi

• dan in montreal

I've been looking at this pen and the generally positive reviews with interest. Can anyone tell me whether the clip can be removed or replaced? The clip design is kind of a deal-breaker as far as I'm concerned.

There is a screw in the inside of the cap, but it is under a plastic inner cap. I don't think it's possible to remove the plastic cap without damaging it, at least I will not try it.

Maybe you can modify the clip from the outside. I think it's aluminium, you can file it into a better shape. You just need a very small file and be very careful.

BTW: I don't post it and for me it's not unbalanced. It feels unbalanced if I post it. But for me that is true for almost all pens, so maybe it's just me.

BTW: I don't post it and for me it's not unbalanced. It feels unbalanced if I post it. But for me that is true for almost all pens, so maybe it's just me.

Same here, but I have small hands so most pens feel unbalanced posted for me. That's one reason I've gravitated toward ultra light acrylic pens where posting doesn't seem to change the balance much. The Edge definitely feels unbalanced for me when posted, probably because the body is so long, but it's not unusable or particularly uncomfortable that way. I just have to change my writing angle or where I hold the pen.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Video review here:

Great review, as always. I really liked the flow-of-consciousness style review, and flipping back and forth to the Lamy was nice, too. I particularly liked the ink review. I was looking for a grey Diamine last week (in Cult Pen's 10% off Diamine sale) and decided against it, as it seemed too dark. Your review reassured me that I made the right choice. (I ended up with ... Well, silver I guess, instead, in their shimmering Moon Dust. We'll see how that goes.)

Anyway, much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I just received mine - it's as miraculously good as everyone says including the utterly swell nib - what's funny about it is that the cap posts with a wonderful tactile feel and yet it makes the pen so back heavy I can't imagine a hand that it would fit - this pen with a hooded nib would be a legend - and I can't wait to see what optional nibs the experts come up with

Had one for a week or so. I like the look and texture of the material, the line of the clip. It writes nicely with a slight toothiness that makes me think of it as a poor man's Sailor as much as a poor man's Lamy 2000. A nice pen for the price. But in response to the original question – is it a good EDC pen? – I'd have to say no.

This is down to the cap, which, as others have pointed out, closes with a squishy uncertainty. It's hard to tell whether you've got it properly capped or not. It can feel like you have, but you haven't. And if you haven't, it seems that this squishy resistance that the fit relies upon will actually push the cap back off the pen.

One day this week I took it to work, in a small pencil case in my bicycle bag. After both the ride there and the ride back (about 6km each way), I found at the end of the journey that the cap had worked itself so loose it was just rattling around on the end of the pen. There are a fair few bumps and vibrations on that bike ride, but this never happened with any other pen.

OK, probably because I didn't cap it properly. Maybe I'll try again on Monday. But a pen where you have to concentrate on how you cap it? For EDC give me something intuitive, something I don't have to think about when I'm getting my stuff together in a hurry.

(I just picked it up to look at it, and found that yet again the cap had worked itself loose and/or that I hadn't capped it properly.)

Paradoxically, the cap posts really smoothly, sliding confidently into position. But the pen is unbalanced if you write with it this way.

Edited by Antenociticus

Lined paper makes a prison of the page.

It seems like you just aren't pushing the cap down all the way. It's a long push, longer than most other pens and I was uncomfortable with it at first, but it should eventually make a satisfying click to let you know the cap is firmly locked in place. Once locked, it's really firm in place and won't budge.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

I can concur that this thing is worth every penny and then some. The clip is kind of dumb, but I have a post on the reviews section of how to modify it with nothing more than painter's tape and a small piece of 180 grit sandpaper in about five minutes so that it works properly.

Other than that, it comes in the retail packaging with two long black cartridges that work quite nicely, but if you buy from Bobby (office_supplies on ebay) he throws in a schmidt k5 converter (rebranded to a kaco converter, it's the same thing) and the whole pen costs a buck more, which is a great deal for a proper converter.

the EF nib absolutely sings. The pen is built amazingly. the snap cap lugs feel a little tight (it takes a lot of force to engage them) but after a week or so they soften up and start to feel closer to the lamy 2000. I've been beating on one for a while now and apart from accidentally killing the nib myself (my fault) I just swapped my modified cap onto a new one and put a 1.9mm italic in the old one. Both have held up amazingly.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)