Kaco Edge New Pen... Anyone ?

kataro.miamoto

Looking for pens in Ebay and Aliexpress I found this .. but not fount any review... is Kaco a good pen to edc ?

Kaco Edge Pictures. Aluminum Body

HTB16MXnXhjaK1RjSZKzq6xVwXXaH.jpg?width=

HTB1dxehKuSSBuNjy0Flq6zBpVXaJ.jpg?width=

HTB1oQoJxcj_B1NjSZFHq6yDWpXaP.jpg?width=

HTB1wDODKv5TBuNjSspmq6yDRVXa5.jpg?width=

Waiting for user reviews.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• penzel_washinkton

• Garibaldi

• Holon

I've had one of these, no the body is not aluminum , its Makrolon like that used on the Lamy 2K; section is aluminum though. OK, nothing spectacular, the clip is nice but not really useful, not that it will not clip its just too tight against the cap that every time one need to clip, one would need to handle it to open it to the fabric

I have given up on WIng Sung and Jinhao pens - and most Chinese pens for various reasons - but this listing caught my eye. I wanted something cheap and sturdy and this seems to fits the bill. I had never used a pen by Kaco and decided to give it a go.

Time will tell how it holds up (I just received it yesterday). I popped in a cart and the ink is a generic "cart black" (you know the stuff: a little dry and a little gray).

Mine also came with a converter.

Capped, with the cart, it weighs 24.4 g, uncapped 12.6 g. It's pretty light.

The pen is comfortable posted and unposted. I've been using it both ways. The main design flaw is the clip - it's barely usable as previously stated - however I don't mind - I don't clip my pens. It will keep the pen from rolling off my desk.

It only comes in EF and the nib wrote well out of the box. I expected it to write finer than it does - once again, this is not a problem as I would have preferred it with an even wider nib.

Small annoyance: the capping action is somewhat stiff - you really have to give it a push for it to hear the "click". It might loosen up after a while.

All in all, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Edited by dan in montreal

I have given up on WIng Sung and Jinhao pens - and most Chinese pens for various reasons - but this listing caught my eye. I wanted something cheap and sturdy and this seems to fits the bill. I had never used a pen by Kaco and decided to give it a go.

Time will tell how it holds up (I just received it yesterday). I popped in a cart and the ink is a generic "cart black" (you know the stuff: a little dry and a little gray).

Mine also came with a converter.

Capped, with the cart, it weighs 24.4 g, uncapped 12.6 g. It's pretty light.

The pen is comfortable posted and unposted. I've been using it both ways. The main design flaw is the clip - it's barely usable as previously stated - however I don't mind - I don't clip my pens. It will keep the pen from rolling off my desk.

It only comes in EF and the nib wrote well out of the box. I expected it to write finer than it does - once again, this is not a problem as I would have preferred it with an even wider nib.

Small annoyance: the capping action is somewhat stiff - you really have to give it a push for it to hear the "click". It might loosen up after a while.

All in all, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Does it come with a converter?

Another fine nib......... Sigh.

I believe these use Schmidt nib units with Kaco branding, so you can just unscrew the nib unit and screw in a different one. I'm thinking about getting one of these to use with my Schmidt broad nib unit.

Can anyone confirm that the nib unit is indeed a Schmidt? I think that's also the case with the Kaco Sky.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

If you get it from Bobby, he throws in a converter. Otherwise I think it only comes with the cartridge. Others might make the same offer, though.

A converter doesn't come in the original packaging for the pen, but some sellers throw in a converter for free. It's usually Kaco's on "K1" converter.

Another fine nib......... Sigh.

I know, right? But as I was looking for something to throw in a messenger bag, for every day stuff. A fine nib is ok. I haven't tried to remove the nib unit, but it does seem to have something of a collar that can be unscrewed.

If you get it from Bobby, he throws in a converter. Otherwise I think it only comes with the cartridge. Others might make the same offer, though.

I bought it from him. TruthPil is correct, it came with a K1 converter. I have seen it listed for less (not much, mind you) without the converter.

Thanks for all the info. I've got one coming in the mail so should be able to give a report in a week.

A converter doesn't come in the original packaging for the pen, but some sellers throw in a converter for free. It's usually Kaco's on "K1" converter.

All right I think I will give this pen a go. Interested on the Makrolon material.

Out of topic a little bit, but in the first picture of the thread, I genuinely thought that the circled & zoomed portion of the pen is a USB connection :headsmack:

All right I think I will give this pen a go. Interested on the Makrolon material.

Out of topic a little bit, but in the first picture of the thread, I genuinely thought that the circled & zoomed portion of the pen is a USB connection :headsmack:

My thought is that this is a great cheap way to see whether or not I'll like the texture and section feel of a Lamy 2000.

I know the dimensions aren't the same, but close enough to give me an idea before I blow tons more money on a L2K.

Besides, the Edge is currently on sale right now on Taobao and comes out to a mere $6 with free shipping and a converter. :thumbup:

My thought is that this is a great cheap way to see whether or not I'll like the texture and section feel of a Lamy 2000.

I know the dimensions aren't the same, but close enough to give me an idea before I blow tons more money on a L2K.

Besides, the Edge is currently on sale right now on Taobao and comes out to a mere $6 with free shipping and a converter. :thumbup:

You and your Taobao access! It's the Kinbor situation all over again haha.

I'll buy from Feebay probably in the not distant future

You and your Taobao access! It's the Kinbor situation all over again haha.

I'll buy from Feebay probably in the not distant future

It looks like I'll be moving back to the US sometime next year, so I'm just trying to take advantage of the Taobao life while I can haha.

I'll really miss being able to buy the latest Chinese pen releases for less than abroad, but the trade off will be that I can buy Western pens and inks again for much less.

My Edge came today...Wow! In short, if you like EF nibs, buy one!

The Makrolon material feels great and I love the L2K-style section. My hands loves this pen! It feels just perfect for me without posting but back heavy when posted. It oddly posts more secure than it caps, probably because the section is much thicker than the back of the barrel. As others have noted, the clip is kind of lame. I can operate it with one hand with some effort, but the design doesn't allow it to fully clip on to anything, just pinch a little.

It took me some work to get the nib out because they put a little bit of sealant or something on the threads of the nib assembly. I had to pull the nib and feed out first, then use some rubber gripping material to twist out the sleeve. Once the whole assembly was removed I compared it side by side with a Schmidt assembly and guess what....they are identical. Kaco is using a standard #5-size Schmidt nib unit with their own branding on the nib. I was able to screw my other Schmidt nibs into the Edge without any problem, opening up a world of possibilities for this pen!

As to the nib, I was totally impressed. I know Schmidt nibs can be hit or miss (the same could probably be said for Bock and JoWo nibs), but I must have lucked out on this one. It writes a true 0.3~0.4mm line with just a little pleasant feedback (it's way smoother than my Platinum 3776 SF). The line is comparable to that of a Preppy 03, so I was delighted to have a smooth writing EF that doesn't lean on the broader side.

Despite all the Kaco branding on the package, a close examination of the K1 converter reveals "Schmidt" clearly written on the black part. So, in the end, I was able to get a Schmidt nib and converter in a Makrolon body for $6! Even at twice that, it's a deal for the parts alone. In China, a Schmidt nib unit by itself costs three times as much as this pen. I plan on putting in a spare Schmidt B unit and using the EF in a pen for my planner.

I can foresee more Kacos in my future....along with a Lamy 2000. ;)