Two New Unusual Italians

jmccarty3

Got an email this morning from La Couronne du Comte describing two new pens from Visconti and Aurora that are a bit out of the ordinary.

The Visconti Pentagon is, unsurprisingly, in the shape of a pentagon. It comes in black, red, and blue, but the real news is that it has a 14k nib and a C/C filler, not your typical Visconti configuration as of late.

https://www.lacouronneducomte.nl/webstore/main/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=visconti%20pentagon&language=en&utm_source=newsletter20180923&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=visconti_pentagon_en

The Aurora Internazionale doesn't resemble the usual 88 or Optima formats. The tines on the nib appear to be quite long, but the description doesn't say anything about flex. It's a piston filler, but the piston knob looks different from their usual models.

https://www.lacouronneducomte.nl/webstore/main/aurora-internazionale-fountain-limited-edition-p-11103.html?language=en&utm_source=newsletter20180923&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=aurora_internazionale_en

What do you think of these?

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmccarty3

• Freddy

• whichwatch

• jpy11363

The Aurora Internazionale do not look like 88 of optima simply because it is a remake of an old model of Aurora who entered in production in the year 1930....

Got an email this morning from La Couronne du Comte describing two new pens from Visconti and Aurora that are a bit out of the ordinary.

The Visconti Pentagon is, unsurprisingly, in the shape of a pentagon. It comes in black, red, and blue, but the real news is that it has a 14k nib and a C/C filler, not your typical Visconti configuration as of late.

https://www.lacouronneducomte.nl/webstore/main/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=visconti%20pentagon&language=en&utm_source=newsletter20180923&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=visconti_pentagon_en

The Aurora Internazionale doesn't resemble the usual 88 or Optima formats. The tines on the nib appear to be quite long, but the description doesn't say anything about flex. It's a piston filler, but the piston knob looks different from their usual models.

https://www.lacouronneducomte.nl/webstore/main/aurora-internazionale-fountain-limited-edition-p-11103.html?language=en&utm_source=newsletter20180923&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=aurora_internazionale_en

What do you think of these?

On aesthetics I prefer the Aurora Internazionale LE ..which reminds me of the Aurora Duplex c. 1920's in lapis blue celluloid. At the site no mention of filling system.Do you know?

The Visconti Pentagon reminds me of the Namiki Bamboo collection..By the way for me the links are 404..I went directly to the site..

Fred

On aesthetics I prefer the Aurora Internazionale LE ..which reminds me of the Aurora Duplex c. 1920's in lapis blue celluloid. At the site no mention of filling system.Do you know?

The Visconti Pentagon reminds me of the Namiki Bamboo collection..By the way for me the links are 404..I went directly to the site..

Fred

Hmmm. The links work for me.

I like very much the Aurora with thr execption of the clip which is too much ornate. The simple clip of the original Duplex would be much better.

Alfredo

I was delighted to see the Aurora & appreciated the smaller black end caps, which I don't care for in most pens. I was shocked @ the intricacy of the clip & without seeing the pen in person can well agree that a simpler design might be more complimentary to the pen's design. But it is the first Aurora to "turn my head," since I purchased my Aurora Africa.

Edited by Barkingpig

No problemo....Must be on my end.....

Do you know filling method on the Aurora?

Fred

I don't find a definite mention of it, but surely if it were anything other than a piston filler, LCdC would have mentioned it.

Definitely piston fill. Appelboom mentions it.

eta: I will be passing on the pen. Looks nice, except that section looks most uncomfortable particularly compared with a modern 88.

Edited by praxim

X

The Visconti looks interesting to me, but what appears to be a substantial drop from the barrel to the metal threaded area and then on to the section looks like it could be uncomfortable. I would want to hold one before deciding.

I like the vintage looks of the Aurora, but the price seems pretty steep. It could just be my own bias. I was a big Aurora fan but got turned off and haven't felt the same since they screwed up the 366 Amiss mess and then all but trashed the Optima to push the 88 line instead.

I think the Aurora looks very nice. I will give serious consideration to buying one — love the color and the overall form of the pen.

I got the LaCduC email too and had no problems with the links.

Regarding the specs.: So far, the only other vendor I found listing this pen was Appleboom. They give more details on the pen. It is a piston filler, as one might assume from the price. I rather like the look and the materials, but I'm not crazy about it. I prefer the longer section and its shape on the Optimas and 88's. I do appreciate the huge assortment of available nibs for it, though.

David

Apart from being a piston filler instead of the original level filler, the Internazionale is quite an exact copy of the Aurora Duplex versione Internazionale, in lapis blue celluloid, of the 1930. This includes the elaborate engraving of the clip, that is true to the original.

I didn't think Visconti did gold nibs anymore and in looking at the pictures the nib looks like the new steel nib they did with the Vertigo with the gold bra on the nib. In doing a little research on the Visconti website it does in fact look like it's the same nib so it's not a pure 14K nib but rather a Visconti steel nib with the gold bra. This is what I found on the website.

https://www.visconti.it/uploads/landingpages/1146-14_Pentagon_ENG.pdf

• 3 months later...