Bock Titanium Nib Fine V Medium?

Mongoosey

Hello,

I recently purchased a Karas Pen Co Decograph :happy: . I bought it with a Steel Medium nib, which is my preference and the size I like.

I wanted to pick up a Titanium nib, but they were sold out, so I will wait until they are restocked.

But I wasn't sure if I should stick with a Medium Titanium nib or try a Fine Titanium nib.

I've heard Titanium nibs are wet and I was worried the Medium would write too broad. I don't like broad nibs. The broadest nib I've liked has been a Lamy Safari Medium Steel nib.

I would consider a Fine Titanium nib, but I'm worried about too much feedback.

Does anyone find that they need to go to a finer size when using Titanium nibs? Do they stay true to the size or does writing with them produce a broader line?

I've simply never tried a Titanium nib or a nib like this. Let me know what you've experienced and what you think : )

Regards,

Mongoosey :)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mongoosey

• Tas

• LizEF

• Karmachanic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have 3 Bock Ti nibs. Ensso Piuma Minimalist Titanium with a #6 extra fine, CONID Minimalistica Demonstrator with a #6 fine, and a CONID CAISO Kingsize with a gorgeous #8 fine nib. And I must say, with the exception of my Mike Masuyama ground nibs, the titanium nibs are my favorite.

They are smooth, bouncy nibs that are a joy to write with. My nib preference is fine, and even though they are wet writers (mine are at least), I am very pleased with the results.

If your preference is a medium nib, I think that if you stick with a #6 Ti medium nib you will be satisfied with the results.

Good luck.

I only have one Ti Bock nib, an EF in a Namisu Nova.

Its a gorgeous nib and, for me, gives Viscontis Dreamtouch Palladium nib a run for its money.

Sadly, my Ef leaves a medium line. I have to be really gentle or reverse the nib to get anything like a fine or Ef.

Edited by Tas

My experience as to whether they stay true to size or become wider depends upon pressure. If one can write without any downward pressure, they remain true. I'm still learning to do this consistently. With my ordinary hand I get natural line variation. More so when I write quickly.

So the answer is: depends!

Add lightness and simplicate.

Goulet Pens' Nib Nook tool includes the Karas Kustoms titanium nibs, so you could use that to compare to other nibs they carry - might help add to the info you're gathering. Seems pretty clear that it's going to vary from nib to nib, though.

I have 3 Bock Ti nibs. Ensso Piuma Minimalist Titanium with a #6 extra fine, CONID Minimalistica Demonstrator with a #6 fine, and a CONID CAISO Kingsize with a gorgeous #8 fine nib. And I must say, with the exception of my Mike Masuyama ground nibs, the titanium nibs are my favorite.

They are smooth, bouncy nibs that are a joy to write with. My nib preference is fine, and even though they are wet writers (mine are at least), I am very pleased with the results.

If your preference is a medium nib, I think that if you stick with a #6 Ti medium nib you will be satisfied with the results.

Good luck.

Thank you very much for your input. I assent to your opinion and plan on purchasing a Medium Titanium nib when my budget recovers from the purchase of the Decograph :puddle:...

Though I dare say that I might have to subsequently try the Finer sizes :happy:

I've tried a Masuyama nib and that says a lot. I was looking forward to the prospect of a Titanium nib, but now I'm quite excited.

I only have one Ti Bock nib, an EF in a Namisu Nova.

Its a gorgeous nib and, for me, gives Viscontis Dreamtouch Palladium nib a run for its money.

Sadly, my Ef leaves a medium line. I have to be really gentle or reverse the nib to get anything like a fine or Ef.

Wow. I haven't tried a Palladium nib, but I've heard very good things and that comparison reinforces my excitement.

I was considering other things, but this is really honing my focus a on these nibs and that's nice to have that certainty.

I had considered picking up a Ranga Ebonite pen in the future and putting in an Edison nib preturned from Indy Pen Dance, but now I'm even more excited at the prospect of swapping in a Titanium. Uh oh... I may have to buy a couple of those pens...

I tell ya, you guys are enablers, but it may save me money by honing my preferences :headsmack: .

My experience as to whether they stay true to size or become wider depends upon pressure. If one can write without any downward pressure, they remain true. I'm still learning to do this consistently. With my ordinary hand I get natural line variation. More so when I write quickly.

So the answer is: depends!

I think that says it pretty well.

What prompted me to inquire about the sizing was this video of a Bock Titanium EF showing a rather thick line with a rather lovely demonstration:

Goulet Pens' Nib Nook tool includes the Karas Kustoms titanium nibs, so you could use that to compare to other nibs they carry - might help add to the info you're gathering. Seems pretty clear that it's going to vary from nib to nib, though.

That's a good suggestion and I think that's a fair assessment.

I just looked at the Nib Nook and it's quite congruent with the feedback on this thread:

post-145190-0-50657400-1537759452_thumb.png

Edited by Mongoosey

What prompted me to inquire about the sizing was this video of a Bock Titanium EF showing a rather thick line with a rather lovely demonstration:

This clip accurately shows how my nib behaves. Best of luck :)

This clip accurately shows how my nib behaves. Best of luck :)

Medium nibs are my sweet spot, but I'm always looking to go Finer, but I have less frequency of success when I do. But when I do have success it's usually because they are wetter and/or less rigid. Even though the Titanium XF may write thicker and may not be a true XF, it may be optimal for an option of a finer nib for me.

Thank you for the feedback. I do appreciate it :) I foresee an exploration into this rabbit hole of a rabbit hole :vbg:

Edited by Mongoosey